Total Members Voted: 33

straightred

Quote from: JoG2 on May 27, 2023, 11:03:26 PM
Quote from: NotedObserver on May 27, 2023, 10:44:43 PM
Quote from: straightred on May 27, 2023, 10:24:57 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 27, 2023, 10:10:52 PM
Quote from: NotedObserver on May 27, 2023, 10:01:29 PM
Bit like Shane mcguigans in Ulster final. It looked over to me

Where were you positioned? Was wide, zero debate... These things happen.
except there is a debate. Question is when it curled in relation to the post. you can't tell if you're looking down the field. Umpire called it and there's no reason to doubt his judgement. If chatgpt can write essays these days surely technology can sort this stuff out

Thank you

Eh? It was wide, wasn't even close, our squad could not have been placed in a better spot. The umpire, probably in the worst position of all to call it, called it (incorrectly) a score.
Sorry and i genuinely dont mean any disrespect. If you are, by your own admission, on the 65m line, then you can't tell were the ball was in relation to the post. It may look over and be wide and it may be wide and look over.
I don't know if it was over or not but i'm willing to go with the umpire who had a much better position to judge. I go back to my first point though. There has to be a way (low cost) for technology to sort this out.

Wildweasel74

GAABoardMod5

Eire90

onefineday

Quote from: Eire90 on May 28, 2023, 01:12:19 AM
are derry the weakest provincial champion
They haven't all played yet, so should wait for that. But, they've been very very flat the last two games. Attack has got nothing going, the pace and ideas prevalent almost all year have just disappeared - I was watching with a crowd who had little interest in it save to point out how poor a spectacle most of the game was - do people really think that was a good game? It got better towards the end, but I felt it was pretty pedestrian and generally poor fare tbh.
Still, they've a point more than Kerry at this stage!

Mario

Monaghan scored a point in 1st half that was 100% wide, i know as i was directly behind it. Umpire hadn't a clue. We've been poor for 2 games but won an ulster final, drew with a d1 team who had 4 weeks to prepare and 90 min extra footage on us in between. We've also lost our manager who was central to everything. Question is can we get over this or will we stay at this level. We'll see, but all in all id have taken it 3 weeks ago.

screenexile

Was there ever any doubt we were?? Everyone knows we're a level below Dublin/Galway/Kerry/Mayo?

Has anyone ever said anything different?

screenexile

Quote from: Mario on May 28, 2023, 02:13:55 AM
Monaghan scored a point in 1st half that was 100% wide, i know as i was directly behind it. Umpire hadn't a clue. We've been poor for 2 games but won an ulster final, drew with a d1 team who had 4 weeks to prepare and 90 min extra footage on us in between. We've also lost our manager who was central to everything. Question is can we get over this or will we stay at this level. We'll see, but all in all id have taken it 3 weeks ago.

I think we're still OK Mario I'd expect us to beat Donegal and Clare... hopefully we'll do that and can secure the top spot.

I think the last 2 weeks have shown that we haven't broken away from the pack below the top 4. If Tyrone/Roscommon/Armagh/Monaghan mirror our style of play it's going to come down to a 50/50 situation in the last 5. We still need one maybe 2 other scoring forwards to help Shane out and we need to develop a faster counter attack with more kicking.

This year has been another stepping stone (and a big success by any standard) we're still very young and a couple of years Division 1 football will help but realistically I think a Semi Final is probably our ceiling again but the next few years look bright for us challenging the top teams regularly!

Derryman forever

Quote from: screenexile on May 28, 2023, 02:29:50 AM

I think we're still OK Mario I'd expect us to beat Donegal and Clare... hopefully we'll do that and can secure the top spot.

I think the last 2 weeks have shown that we haven't broken away from the pack below the top 4. If Tyrone/Roscommon/Armagh/Monaghan mirror our style of play it's going to come down to a 50/50 situation in the last 5. We still need one maybe 2 other scoring forwards to help Shane out and we need to develop a faster counter attack with more kicking.

This year has been another stepping stone (and a big success by any standard) we're still very young and a couple of years Division 1 football will help but realistically I think a Semi Final is probably our ceiling again but the next few years look bright for
us challenging the top teams regularly!

I'd agree.
The impact of losing a manager mid year in any sport will be mostly negative. When the manager is lost to a team that has been successful and improving must be even more so.

seafoid

Quote from: screenexile on May 28, 2023, 02:23:15 AM

Was there ever any doubt we were?? Everyone knows we're a level below Dublin/Galway/Kerry/Mayo?

Has anyone ever said anything different?
Kerry are also misfiring. It's hard to keep going 2 seasons in a row.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Wildweasel74

There simply a big difference without Gallagher on the line. Derry need to go to O'Rourke next year. They aslo need J Doherty and E Bradley bck nxt year and I play both up front along with Murray. Need add 10men to the panel, starting with Gilmore, Higgins, McCullagh, Too many men are playing way below power, yet there's no fear of been dropped. Most of the problems are up front, Defence and Midfield good enough. The issue of a small panel coming to bear. Cassidy, Loughlin, Toner, McGrogan are playing well below power and on another team probably be on the bench nxt day out but Derry keeping playing nearly the same team. Did we only bring on 3 subs. Yesterday. How some of the men stay on the panel when never tried says alot about there staying power.

BrotherMore6592

Derry are just teetering along the same as last year. They'll get walloped in croke park in quarter / semi.

Haven't evolved when it comes down to the business end. Tyrone would give a better account against the top 3 or 4 teams even if they'd be beat too.

Wildweasel74

Mario

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on May 28, 2023, 08:50:36 AM
Derry are just teetering along the same as last year. They'll get walloped in croke park in quarter / semi.

Haven't evolved when it comes down to the business end. Tyrone would give a better account against the top 3 or 4 teams even if they'd be beat too.
Is this the Tyrone Derry have been beat by about 10 points in last 2 meetings v Derry. I'll accept Derry won't win the AI and will get beat by someone at Croke Park but this narrative that Tyrone are better is nonsense. No team would have beat Monaghan handy last night the way they played, they are a good side and D1 for a reason. Lets not forget they beat Tyrone a few weeks ago as well

tbrick18

That monaghan point certainly looked wide to me, but Derry were so lethargic.
Last time we played monaghan I think we had 10 different scorers but now we can't seem to buy a score.
Personally, I think the impact of losing Gallagher is the reason for this. He mad sure everyone on the field was putting in the effort.
The high energy we had been playing with has not been there in the last 2 games.
Credit to monaghan,  they learnt their lessons and really should have won.

I'm following Derry long enough to never expect to win and unfortunately playing the waybwe did last night will mean we could be beaten by anyone. Donegal and Clare are not givens.
We need a huge shift in momentum to be in with any chance of challenging a top team.