The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

I'm sorry I asked the shaggin' question now about thinking Trump might win it.  ::)

Sid, we get it, you think anyone who doesn't agree with you is a fascist or a Nazi or a member of the Trumptard cult etc.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

J70

Quote from: Maiden1 on September 03, 2020, 08:12:49 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 02, 2020, 11:48:58 AM
This is a failing strategy so the strategy now is to steal the election
If he wins it's because of cheating/fascism/.. is like a football manager yelling at the ref when they lose by 10 points. I.e. look closer to home first on why losing.

Some things I have read on here that don't ring true for me.

1) Trump is a terrible speaker.  To me he is a brilliant speaker.  His style might be WWE smackdown but he is the only politician that if I saw was on live I would tune in for 10 minutes just to see if he goes off the prepared script and says something he wasnt supposed to before the secret service get a chance to turn his mike off.
2) He has dementia. He is in his 70s and walked slowly down a gang plank and drinks a glass of water in an unusual way but has anyone who claims he has dementia watched Biden recently?

Some things that could hurt Trump that probably won't.

1) 'Grab a woman ...' would probably hurt him but it was first used by Hillary during debates with Bill squirming in the audience.
2) Ice. Ice detention policy was started before Trump.

A couple of things which it hard to say will help or hurt him.

1) COVID. Lockdowns effect jobs.
2) Black lives matter. BLM matter but not being in favour of wrecking the place doesnt make someone racist.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JoCdiCc1JoM

If they don't ring true, you may need to look into these issues a little more.

The reason the ramp/water incident at West Point was thrown in Trump's face was because his campaign made such a massive issue of Biden's supposed one-foot-in-the-nursing-home status. They also tried the same bollocks with Hillary last time out (can't remember the details, but she had a cold for a few days in late summer or something similarly trivial). If he wants to dish it out, he should expect plenty of microanalysis of his own health status in return. I expect we'll get another "healthiest human being ever!" report from his "doctor" sometime soon.

Most sensible people don't deny that lockdowns cost jobs. That is not what Trump is being judged on with respect to COVID. Similarly, current debate over indoor dining in NYC aside, it has not affected the likes of Cuomo. People understand it's a desperate time. What Trump IS being judged on is his disgraceful abdication of responsible leadership during a massive pandemic, beginning with denying its existence, all the way through undermining his own and many other public health officials, promoting conspiracy theories and quacks, bringing political pressure to bear on various aspects of the national response purely for his own, personal political benefit. That his own appalling performance has, ultimately, helped extend the outbreak and thus adversely affect the economy even further is partly why he is currently on a crusade to scare the f**k out of the citizenry about the "state" of Democratic cities. Basically anything to change the subject.

Speaking of which... BLM may or may not hurt Trump, sure. He's going all in on it saving his skin. Biden has come out and unequivocably condemned the left wing rioting and looting. He'll probably have to do so again and again over the coming weeks. Why is there no such expectation of the same from Trump? Instead he gives tacit and explicit encouragement to the far right, including outright racists, and holds up that moronic kid who killed those people in Wisconsin as some kind of hero.

ICE detention WAS started before Trump. It was not used as a political weapon by other presidents. Other presidents didn't rip wailing toddlers out of their hysterical mothers' arms and send them off f**k knows where for weeks and months. Other presidents didn't go after poor immigrants working on production lines in meat factories (same people bearing a lot of the brunt of the COVID outbreak), sweeping them up out of their lives en masse while their kids were in school.

Maiden1

Quote from: J70 on September 03, 2020, 04:30:50 PM
If he wins it's because of cheating/fascism/.. is like a football manager yelling at the ref when they lose by 10 points. I.e. look closer to home first on why losing.

1) Trump is a terrible speaker.  To me he is a brilliant speaker.  His style might be WWE smackdown but he is the only politician that if I saw was on live I would tune in for 10 minutes just to see if he goes off the prepared script and says something he wasnt supposed to before the secret service get a chance to turn his mike off.
2) He has dementia. He is in his 70s and walked slowly down a gang plank and drinks a glass of water in an unusual way but has anyone who claims he has dementia watched Biden recently?

1) 'Grab a woman ...' would probably hurt him but it was first used by Hillary during debates with Bill squirming in the audience.

2) Black lives matter. BLM matter but not being in favour of wrecking the place doesnt make someone racist.

The reason the ramp/water incident at West Point was thrown in Trump's face was because his campaign made such a massive issue of Biden's supposed one-foot-in-the-nursing-home status. They also tried the same bollocks with Hillary last time out (can't remember the details, but she had a cold for a few days in late summer or something similarly trivial). If he wants to dish it out, he should expect plenty of microanalysis of his own health status in return. I expect we'll get another "healthiest human being ever!" report from his "doctor" sometime soon.

Most sensible people don't deny that lockdowns cost jobs. That is not what Trump is being judged on with respect to COVID. Similarly, current debate over indoor dining in NYC aside, it has not affected the likes of Cuomo. People understand it's a desperate time. What Trump IS being judged on is his disgraceful abdication of responsible leadership during a massive pandemic, beginning with denying its existence, all the way through undermining his own and many other public health officials, promoting conspiracy theories and quacks, bringing political pressure to bear on various aspects of the national response purely for his own, personal political benefit. That his own appalling performance has, ultimately, helped extend the outbreak and thus adversely affect the economy even further is partly why he is currently on a crusade to scare the f**k out of the citizenry about the "state" of Democratic cities. Basically anything to change the subject.

Speaking of which... BLM may or may not hurt Trump, sure. He's going all in on it saving his skin. Biden has come out and unequivocably condemned the left wing rioting and looting. He'll probably have to do so again and again over the coming weeks. Why is there no such expectation of the same from Trump? Instead he gives tacit and explicit encouragement to the far right, including outright racists, and holds up that moronic kid who killed those people in Wisconsin as some kind of hero.

ICE detention WAS started before Trump. It was not used as a political weapon by other presidents. Other presidents didn't rip wailing toddlers out of their hysterical mothers' arms and send them off f**k knows where for weeks and months. Other presidents didn't go after poor immigrants working on production lines in meat factories (same people bearing a lot of the brunt of the COVID outbreak), sweeping them up out of their lives en masse while their kids were in school.
I'm not sure this is true on ICE i.e. that they were any more compassionate pre Trump.

The economy is screwed with people being turfed out of there homes.  Depending on who people blame on this will go a long way to decide the election.

https://twitter.com/KyungLahCNN/status/1301345195544502274

BLM becomes a double edged sword when it goes along with looting and smashing up businesses.

Biden looks a very weak candidate given his age and recent gaffs like 'I'm Jill Biden and I .. ' don't help with regard to perception of mental decline.  To me  it seems more like banking on an anyone but Trump ticket but I am not sure it will get enough people to come out and vote for him. 
There are no proofs, only opinions.

J70

Quote from: Maiden1 on September 03, 2020, 04:52:15 PM

I'm not sure this is true on ICE i.e. that they were any more compassionate pre Trump.

The economy is screwed with people being turfed out of there homes.  Depending on who people blame on this will go a long way to decide the election.

BLM becomes a double edged sword when it goes along with looting and smashing up businesses.

Biden looks a very weak candidate given his age and recent gaffs like 'I'm Jill Biden and I .. ' don't help with regard to perception of mental decline.  To me  it seems more like banking on an anyone but Trump ticket but I am not sure it will get enough people to come out and vote for him.

If you can find records of ANY other president splitting young kids from their mothers and fathers, please post it. The Central American gang-driven influx of minors at the border one of the years under Obama (2014 I think) rightfully lead to massive criticism as some of them ended up caged due to the sheer lack of available resources at the time, but no one else had the sheer lack of humanity to countenance jailing mothers and fathers while sending their small kids off to cities across the country.

BLM seems pretty clearcut to me. You can support their cause while condemning and countering the riots, whether caused by anarchists, right wing provocateurs, idiots out looting for free stuff or simple frustration. You can support the overall mission of policing while insisting that they have been found seriously wanting when it comes to training and accountability and the need for reform. Those viewpoints are not mutually exclusive and they are the view of most intelligent people. Biden needs to make it clear that that is where he stands.

As for Biden, it is absolutely a case "anyone but Trump". That is the reason Biden won the nomination. No one thinks he is the perfect candidate or that he hasn't at least a little less vigour that he did in his prime, but he won because he is a moderate centrist and a non-threatening option to the historically appalling Trump. When it comes to the debates, as I've said here before, the way Trump has defined him down, if he gets through it without drooling or pissing his trousers, he'll be well set, in as far as the debates matter.

Ultimately, this election is going to come down to how many of those people in the middle want to endure another four years of Trump and his freakshow. He knows he's got nothing, which is why he is going all in on the scary Democratic cities and their riotous minorities. Some rural farmer might not have a nearby hospital or post office to rely on or market for his crops, but at least he's not dodging bullets in a hellscape of burnt out buildings and cars like NYC! (I live in NYC BTW).   

Eamonnca1

Only if the ref is on the opposing team or has been bribed by the opposing team.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Taylor on September 03, 2020, 12:34:22 PM
Its amazing that opponents of Trump still havent realised that throwing out the lines he rigs election/hates blacks/is sexist/is corrupt etc doesnt work.
It simply makes Trump supporters double down.

If they would focus on the positives Biden brings perhaps it wouldnt be neck and neck in the race.

Just a thought

Oh boo hoo hoo! A liberal said something mean about Trump and now I have to vote for him!

Maiden1

Quote from: J70 on September 03, 2020, 05:28:10 PM

If you can find records of ANY other president splitting young kids from their mothers and fathers, please post it. The Central American gang-driven influx of minors at the border one of the years under Obama (2014 I think) rightfully lead to massive criticism as some of them ended up caged due to the sheer lack of available resources at the time, but no one else had the sheer lack of humanity to countenance jailing mothers and fathers while sending their small kids off to cities across the country.

BLM seems pretty clearcut to me. You can support their cause while condemning and countering the riots, whether caused by anarchists, right wing provocateurs, idiots out looting for free stuff or simple frustration. You can support the overall mission of policing while insisting that they have been found seriously wanting when it comes to training and accountability and the need for reform. Those viewpoints are not mutually exclusive and they are the view of most intelligent people. Biden needs to make it clear that that is where he stands.

As for Biden, it is absolutely a case "anyone but Trump". That is the reason Biden won the nomination. No one thinks he is the perfect candidate or that he hasn't at least a little less vigour that he did in his prime, but he won because he is a moderate centrist and a non-threatening option to the historically appalling Trump. When it comes to the debates, as I've said here before, the way Trump has defined him down, if he gets through it without drooling or pissing his trousers, he'll be well set, in as far as the debates matter.

Ultimately, this election is going to come down to how many of those people in the middle want to endure another four years of Trump and his freakshow. He knows he's got nothing, which is why he is going all in on the scary Democratic cities and their riotous minorities. Some rural farmer might not have a nearby hospital or post office to rely on or market for his crops, but at least he's not dodging bullets in a hellscape of burnt out buildings and cars like NYC! (I live in NYC BTW).
Living in US you are more educated than me on ICE and exactly what has changed since Trump but splitting mothers and children up is ****** up. If Biden was going to change this he should come out and say strongly.

I would be tempted if polls keep going towards Trump to switch Biden and Harris. At the minute democrat party looks to me like no one at wheel and that they hoping to coast to win.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2020, 12:44:44 PM
Its amazing that opponents of Trump still havent realised that throwing out the lines he rigs election/hates blacks/is sexist is corrupt etc doesnt work.

If they would focus on the positives Biden brings perhaps it wouldnt be neck and neck in the race.

Just a thought
I'm not really sure what your point is

All this is true, and just demonstrates the point that Trumpism is a cult

What you are saying is that the truth should not be told

Frankly there's very little that can be done to de-programme people who are down the rabbit hole of a cult

Trumpism is every bit as much a cult as Nazism was, and every bit as dangerous

There is no safe dose of fascism, and the logical endpoint of fascism is always genocide

The true representation of Trumpism is people like Anders Behring Breivik and the Christchurch mass murderer

A friend told me in 2016 that he sincerely believed that Hillary would have been worse than Trump. He couldn't believe that a Trump presidency would be a bigger catastrophe. He asked if I really thought he was going to march people into gas chambers, and I said no, but a lot of people could still lose their lives. He couldn't believe what he was hearing from me.

Well here we are. If the US had done an average job of managing the pandemic, the US death toll would have been lower by 140,000. If the pandemic response team had not been fired, the outbreak might have been contained and not erupted into the shitshow that it is.

It's like 2001 all over again. I really think that if Al Gore, a man who reads his briefings and takes the job seriously,  were president in 2001 instead of the lad who had better things to do like clearing brush on his ranch while breaking records for the longest presidential vacation, 9/11 would not have happened.

Rethuglicans who get elected despite losing the popular vote have a habit of letting terrible things happen on their watch. If Trump gets in for a second term, or God forbid, one of his family gets in for a future term, then we are all in mortal danger. Nuclear weapons, pandemics, preventable ecological disasters - it's all gonna unfold under some incompetent Rethuglican presidency. They must be defeated.

J70

Quote from: Maiden1 on September 03, 2020, 05:38:55 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 03, 2020, 05:28:10 PM

Living in US you are more educated than me on ICE and exactly what has changed since Trump but splitting mothers and children up is ****** up. If Biden was going to change this he should come out and say strongly.

I would be tempted if polls keep going towards Trump to switch Biden and Harris. At the minute democrat party looks to me like no one at wheel and that they hoping to coast to win.

Biden doesn't HAVE to say or change it unless it is still secretly in operation.

ONLY a man utterly lacking in empathy and who didn't see those poor people as actual human beings would have even countenanced such a policy in the first place.

As it happens, once it got publicized two years ago, Trump had to back down and stop the policy.

On your suggestion of switching Biden and Harris - I disagree. Biden is way more experienced, despite his history of gaffes and word salad. And, if Biden is not fit to be at the top of the ticket, how is he fit to be second? Quite a number of VPs have ended up with the main job. And that's before you even consider whether a ticket led by a black woman could win the probable 54-55% of the popular vote a Democrat will need to absolutely ensure an electoral college victory.

But I do agree that they do need to get more active and aggressive. Its not easy to do with someone like Trump who always sucks the air out of the room with his shamelessness and attention seeking and, indeed, it worked for a long time this year when Trump was floundering by himself on the public stage. But they need to be careful NOT to let him define them now that he is banking on racial fears to boost his campaign.

sid waddell

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 03, 2020, 02:34:58 PM
I'm sorry I asked the shaggin' question now about thinking Trump might win it.  ::)

Sid, we get it, you think anyone who doesn't agree with you is a fascist or a Nazi or a member of the Trumptard cult etc.
No I think fascists are fascist

But carry on with your own straw man narrative

Incidentally the right are by far the worst for shouting fascist at things they don't like, be it masks, feminists, people who protest against actual fascists

Of course then they call them communists in the next breath

Sort of sums up the total intellectual drain that is right-wing politics worldwide

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on September 03, 2020, 02:14:30 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2020, 02:04:38 PM
You claim "my behaviour" has been "disgraceful" for the simple reason that your existence as a poster on this forum is largely based around defending vile political ideologies and the disgraceful behaviour of vile politicians like Trump, while simultaneously calling for people you don't like to be imprisoned for no reason, and you're angry that I can see through that

It's pathetic fake victimhood on your part

The problem you have is that your opinions  are being forcefully challenged, you can't justify them, and you really don't like that

You really need to take a look at your own opinions, because they're undeniably extremist

Mine are moderate, sensible and morally clear, which is why nobody has been able to seriously argue against them here

::)
Being against extremism is not extremism

Apparently you think it is, which is a bit mad

sid waddell

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 03, 2020, 05:39:01 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2020, 12:44:44 PM
Its amazing that opponents of Trump still havent realised that throwing out the lines he rigs election/hates blacks/is sexist is corrupt etc doesnt work.

Just a thought
I'm not really sure what your point is

All this is true, and just demonstrates the point that Trumpism is a cult

What you are saying is that the truth should not be told

Frankly there's very little that can be done to de-programme people who are down the rabbit hole of a cult

Trumpism is every bit as much a cult as Nazism was, and every bit as dangerous

There is no safe dose of fascism, and the logical endpoint of fascism is always genocide

The true representation of Trumpism is people like Anders Behring Breivik and the Christchurch mass murderer

A friend told me in 2016 that he sincerely believed that Hillary would have been worse than Trump. He couldn't believe that a Trump presidency would be a bigger catastrophe. I asked if I really thought he was going to march people into gas chambers, and I said no, but a lot of people could still lose their lives. He couldn't believe what he was hearing from me.

Well here we are. If the US had done an average job of managing the pandemic, the US death toll would have been lower by 140,000. If the pandemic response team had not been fired, the outbreak might have been contained and not erupted into the shitshow that it is.

It's like 2001 all over again. I really think that if Al Gore, a man who reads his briefings and takes the job seriously,  were president in 2001 instead of the lad who had better things to do like clearing brush on his ranch while breaking records for the longest presidential vacation, 9/11 would not have happened.

Rethuglicans who get elected despite losing the popular vote have a habit of letting terrible things happen on their watch. If Trump gets in for a second term, or God forbid, one of his family gets in for a future term, then we are all in mortal danger. Nuclear weapons, pandemics, preventable ecological disasters - it's all gonna unfold under some incompetent Rethuglican presidency. They must be defeated.
Sure look at the list of scandals and man made catastrophes suffered by or committed by the US over the last 50 years

Pretty much all of them under Republican presidents

Climate change is a one reason for this worldwide fascist power grab in my view, not the only one - the kleptocrats aren't stupid, they know the climate crisis is real, and they're feathering their nests so they can continue their lives of luxury when the shit hits the fan

We'll never know if 9/11 would have happened under Gore, but I'm quite certain that under him the US response would not have been the total disaster it turned out to be

The Iraq War completely ruined the US's credibility as an international actor and opened the way for forces of real evil, in Iraq, in the wider Middle East, in Russia and in the US itself

It was a disaster of epic proportions

Which Trump supported, incidentally, even though he claims otherwise, yet another lie

sid waddell

McCain saw right through Trump

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1301641141981511681

When McCain died, Trump told senior staff, according to three sources with direct knowledge, "We're not going to support that loser's funeral." He became furious, according to witnesses, when he saw flags lowered. "What the f**k are we doing that for? Guy was a f**king loser."

Eamonnca1

Anyone who gets bent out of shape about a few broken windows but doesn't care about black people being slaughtered by cops needs to take a long hard look at themselves.