The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on September 03, 2020, 12:49:40 PM
Any electoral ticket that garners almost 63m votes in a free and fair election is by definition not a cult. Trump manages to pick up votes from huge numbers of people who dislike him or parts of his agenda. That's the opposite of what a cult does.

The Nazi comparisons and conflations are crazy.
By your definition, Nazism was not a cult, it was "centrist"

Hitler undoubtedly had the overwhelming support of the German people when he was a dictator

Please point out the differences in ideology between Trump and Gemma O'Doherty

thewobbler

Ah there's Sid again.

His contribution to this thread goes:

> Poster doesn't defend Democratic Party.

>> Poster must be a Republican.

>>> Poster must support Trump.

>>>> Trump is a right wing fascist cult symbol

>>>>> Poster is therefore part of fascist cult.

>>>>>> Respond proclaiming this message.

I think I could programme a robot to do this better actually.

five points

Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2020, 12:52:26 PM
Any electoral ticket that garners almost 63m votes in a free and fair election is by definition not a cult. Trump manages to pick up votes from huge numbers of people who dislike him or parts of his agenda. That's the opposite of what a cult does.

I have never said Nazism was centrist. Prove me wrong and then we'll talk.

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on September 03, 2020, 12:53:37 PM
Ah there's Sid again.

His contribution to this thread goes:

> Poster doesn't defend Democratic Party.

>> Poster must be a Republican.

>>> Poster must support Trump.

>>>> Trump is a right wing fascist cult symbol

>>>>> Poster is therefore part of fascist cult.

>>>>>> Respond proclaiming this message.

I think I could programme a robot to do this better actually.
You're unable to point out anything wrong about what I'm saying, you're unable to do anything other than demonstrate that you clearly despise me and what I say because I see right through the constant Spiked Online/Guido Fawkes-esque professional contrarian bullshit you peddle non-stop on this forum

As somebody once said, there's keeping an open mind and then there's keeping such an open mind that your brain falls out, as is the case with you

I'm glad you despise me, I'd very be worried if that wasn't the case!

There's zero attempt to engage on your part and you also throw in a nice straw man there - I've no love for the Democratic party, many of them are patently useless, their leadership in Congress, Pelosi and Schumer certainly are, they're milquetoast neo-liberals to their fingertips

But it's an undeniable truth that the Democratic party is the only hope for any sort of sensible electoral politics in the US, given that their opposition is indeed a fascist cult

Fascism is a binary - either you are against it, or you are for it

This was the case in the 1930s and it's the case now

There is no in between

five points

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on September 03, 2020, 12:54:28 PM

You say that because Trump got 62 million votes that he can't be a cult

But that's simply wrong

Cults can be very large

Nazism was supported by the majority of the German people

But it was a cult, the central defining features of Nazism were hatred of the other based on race and perpetual fake victimhood

The central features of Trumpism are hatred of the other based on race and perpetual fake victimhood

five points

Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2020, 01:08:50 PM

But that's simply wrong

Cults can be very large

But it was a cult, the central defining features of Nazism were hatred of the other based on race and perpetual fake victimhood

The central features of Trumpism are hatred of the other based on race and perpetual fake victimhood

Cults demand significant devotion towards their leaders and icons. Yet people pull the p**s out of Trump every day of they week and they seem to survive intact. And loads of people vote for Trump even if they dislike him. They're not part of any cult.

You're some lad to go on about fake victimhood.

Now, where did I say the Nazis were "centrist" (your quote marks)?

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on September 03, 2020, 01:07:58 PM
Guido Fawkes is fascist now. LOL.
The modus operandi of Guido Fawkes and the right in general is to call people they disagree with "fascists"

But funnily enough they don't call actual fascists "fascists" - it's apparently feminists and any marginalised group which stands up for its rights who are the real Nazis

This sums up the bizarre mass psychosis which has taken over right-wing politics worldwide

And its supporters hate being called out on it

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on September 03, 2020, 01:13:33 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2020, 01:08:50 PM

But that's simply wrong

Cults can be very large

Cults demand significant devotion towards their leaders and icons. Yet people pull the p**s out of Trump every day of they week and they seem to survive intact. And loads of people vote for Trump even if they dislike him. They're not part of any cult.

Your logic says the Nazis were centrist

"Cults demand significant devotion towards their leaders and icons" - well, I think you've just proved Trumpism is indeed a cult

As a straight, white male who grew up in reasonably comfortable circumstances in a semi-detached house in a reasonably peaceful estate in lower middle class/upper working class Dublin, I'm not a victim of anything, nor do I claim to be

five points

Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2020, 01:15:12 PM

"Cults demand significant devotion towards their leaders and icons" - well, I think you've just proved Trumpism is indeed a cult

As a straight, white male who grew up in reasonably comfortable circumstances in a semi-detached house in a reasonably peaceful estate in lower middle class/upper working class Dublin, I'm not a victim of anything, nor do I claim to be

So I never said the Nazis were centrist. That was something you invented.

No politician in a democratic society can demand or achieve significant devotion from 63 million people. Your cult claim falls at the first hurdle.

Your sexuality, ethnic background, gender and home circumstances are irrelevant here. Your behaviour is not.

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on September 03, 2020, 01:24:51 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2020, 01:15:12 PM

So I never said the Nazis were centrist. That was something you invented.

No politician in a democratic society can demand or achieve significant devotion from 63 million people. Your cult claim falls at the first hurdle.

Your sexuality, ethnic background, gender and home circumstances are irrelevant here. Your behaviour is not.
Your logic says the Nazis were both centrist and not a cult - you say because Trump got 62 million votes, it's not a cult

But cults can be huge - Nazism proved that

By your definition, because Nazism had mass support, it couldn't be a cult - but it was a cult, thoroughly impervious to reason

Also, the American right-wing definition of what is centrist is is where the median point of a population is in terms of political persuasion

Trump lovers constantly tell us that the American people are close to where he is in terms of ideology, that he is not extreme

Constantly we're told "you Europeans just don't get it" about America

"You Europeans just don't understand that what is centrist in Europe is considered communism in the US"

In Germany, that median was genocide, so by your definition, Nazism was centrist

Germans in the Nazi period would have told non-Germans "you just don't get it"

But non-Germans did get it, they saw that Nazism was a mortal danger

And most non-Americans get it that Trumpism is a mortal danger to America

"My behaviour"?

What on earth are you on about?

It's not my problem if you're offended at me exposing your ludicrous political views for what they are

You and others like blowhard extraordinaire the wobbler are basically asking me to be politically correct so as to not hurt your feelings - sorry, I won't be politically correct - I thought you claimed to hate political correctness anyway, but as usual with right-wing loons, that has proved to be a transparent grift on your part

You have a weird emotional investment in defending Trump and his supporters

People are entitled to draw fair conclusions about you and what sort of person you are, from that

Suffice to say the conclusions are not good

five points

Your talk of my "logic" is nonsense, and self-serving nonsense at that.

Yes, your behaviour on this forum of late has been disgraceful.

Meanwhile everyone else, apart from the one guy with daily (if not hourly) long rambling, bile-filled and accusatory posts, is a "blowhard".

Yeah right.

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on September 03, 2020, 01:51:51 PM

Meanwhile everyone else, apart from the one guy with daily (if not hourly) long rambling, bile-filled and accusatory posts, is a "blowhard".

Yeah right.
You claim "my behaviour" has been "disgraceful" for the simple reason that your existence as a poster on this forum is largely based around defending vile political ideologies and the disgraceful behaviour of vile politicians like Trump, while simultaneously calling for people you don't like to be imprisoned for no reason, and you're angry that I can see through that

It's pathetic fake victimhood on your part

The problem you have is that your opinions  are being forcefully challenged, you can't justify them, and you really don't like that

You really need to take a look at your own opinions, because they're undeniably extremist

Mine are moderate, sensible and morally clear, which is why nobody has been able to seriously argue against them here

five points

Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2020, 02:04:38 PM
You claim "my behaviour" has been "disgraceful" for the simple reason that your existence as a poster on this forum is largely based around defending vile political ideologies and the disgraceful behaviour of vile politicians like Trump, while simultaneously calling for people you don't like to be imprisoned for no reason, and you're angry that I can see through that

The problem you have is that your opinions  are being forcefully challenged, you can't justify them, and you really don't like that

You really need to take a look at your own opinions, because they're undeniably extremist

Mine are moderate, sensible and morally clear, which is why nobody has been able to seriously argue against them here

::)

Taylor

Quote from: sid waddell on September 03, 2020, 02:04:38 PM
Quote from: five points on September 03, 2020, 01:51:51 PM

Yeah right.

Or anyone can be bothered to argue with