Not born that way

Started by The Iceman, December 14, 2016, 08:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 19, 2016, 04:50:59 PM
Just reading the crap on here it raises the question as to whether any of those arguing have a gay child. If they had, they would perhaps not be so quick to use terms such as "lifestyle choice". It is insulting in the extreme and denigrates gay people and their families. It is attitudes like this in wider society that causes high rates of depression in the gay community as people struggle to come to terms with their sexuality. Feeling that they are disappointing parents and that they aren't accepted as "normal".
Should any and all sexual attractions be ok and encouraged in case the person feeling them would get depressed for not being accepted? Is anything not normal today? Is everything ok?
I haven't talked to my kids all that much about homosexuality. My eldest boy is only 8. We lived in Seattle until recently and he seen a few gay couples walking about and his normal (and don't call it otherwise please) is "thats' crazy".
If it was all normal why are so many people on here openly "repulsed" by it?

No wides comments are a bit extreme but I agree he has a point. I don't know who would look the same at their kids.  Like no change at all? Nothing? Just life as normal with Johnny and Mark over for Christmas dinner kissing under the mistletoe? I don't believe it would be status quo....

and can we stop comparing the colour of someone's skin to their sexual attractions. To do so would mean that because all colours of skin are normal then surely all sexual attractions are normal.  We go down a very very dangerous path comparing the two..... this isn't the civil rights movement of today - you're romanticizing it all for a cause to champion and missing the damage it's doing.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on December 20, 2016, 03:20:43 AM
Just reading the crap on here it raises the question as to whether any of those arguing have a gay child. If they had, they would perhaps not be so quick to use terms such as "lifestyle choice". It is insulting in the extreme and denigrates gay people and their families. It is attitudes like this in wider society that causes high rates of depression in the gay community as people struggle to come to terms with their sexuality. Feeling that they are disappointing parents and that they aren't accepted as "normal".
Should any and all sexual attractions be ok and encouraged in case the person feeling them would get depressed for not being accepted? Is anything not normal today? Is everything ok?
I haven't talked to my kids all that much about homosexuality. My eldest boy is only 8. We lived in Seattle until recently and he seen a few gay couples walking about and his normal (and don't call it otherwise please) is "thats' crazy".

No wides comments are a bit extreme but I agree he has a point. I don't know who would look the same at their kids.  Like no change at all? Nothing? Just life as normal with Johnny and Mark over for Christmas dinner kissing under the mistletoe? I don't believe it would be status quo....

and can we stop comparing the colour of someone's skin to their sexual attractions. To do so would mean that because all colours of skin are normal then surely all sexual attractions are normal.  We go down a very very dangerous path comparing the two..... this isn't the civil rights movement of today - you're romanticizing it all for a cause to champion and missing the damage it's doing.

You always want to play the pedophile card, in this case under the cover of 'all sexual attractions'.

Homosexuality is not the same as pedophilia.
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

How do you define "normal"? Is it "normal" to be left-handed? Can we compare left-handedness to the color of people's skin? If it's so "normal" to be left handed then how come so many people used to be repulsed by it? Or would we be going down a "dangerous" path to entertain the idea that handedness is a natural rather than learned behavior?

See how stupid that kind of debate sounds?

Do you ever listen to yourself, Ice? The way you're talking about gays is the same as how people used to talk about left-handed people. Wise up.

michaelg

By my reckoning, it is you and another couple of Neanderthals who are "repulsed by it".  From the responses on this thread, you are in the minority.
In addition, given your views expressed on here, your child's response that you mentioned is likely to be learned behaviour.

laoislad

QuoteIf it was all normal why are so many people on here openly "repulsed" by it?
What exactly are you repulsed about? You must spend an awful lot of time thinking about what two Gay people do in the bedroom to be so repulsed by it.
I'd also love to know what exactly being normal means.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

No wides

If it was so normal the human population would have ceased a long time ago. 

No wides

Quote from: michaelg on December 20, 2016, 07:30:17 AM

By my reckoning, it is you and another couple of Neanderthals who are "repulsed by it".  From the responses on this thread, you are in the minority.
In addition, given your views expressed on here, your child's response that you mentioned is likely to be learned behaviour.

Trump and brexit was in the minority as well, folk don't always call it as they see it.

Applesisapples

Where did I mention colour? I hope your kids are straight given your outlook.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 20, 2016, 12:09:39 PM

No wides

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 20, 2016, 12:09:39 PM

What's his email got to do with it, do you want him to use gmail!

J70

Quote from: No wides on December 20, 2016, 08:57:03 AM

Why, because the 90% of the population that is straight wouldn't be enough to keep things going?

By your standard Down Syndrome is not "normal". Rarity doesn't make something unnatural or something to be marginalized.

J70

Of course not, assuming you're including tendencies such as paedophilia.

How about gay people who are repulsed by heterosexual sex?

I'm repulsed myself by the thought of homosexual sexual activity (at least male!  ;)). Doesn't mean that my discomfort is a valid reason to drive those people back into the closet and criminalize their lifestyles.

If depends on what you define "change" as. You'd obviously have to adjust to your son or daughter not being straight, but beyond that what difference should it make to your relationship to them? They're still your kid. Nothing about them has changed except what their expressed sexuality is. Instead of them shacking up with a member of the opposite sex, they shack up with a member of the same sex. Everything else is status quo.

I don't see what the big deal is.

I mean I can see why it would be a big deal if you thought homosexuality was this terrible sin or crime against nature, or not "normal". But, increasing numbers of people don't think that way.

The certainty that things would change in any meaningful way is just projection on the part of you and No Wides.

What damage?

And given that you believe the above, what do YOU think society should be doing with respect to homosexuality?

No wides

Quote from: J70 on December 20, 2016, 01:06:59 PM

Why, because the 90% of the population that is straight wouldn't be enough to keep things going?

By your standard Down Syndrome is not "normal". Rarity doesn't make something unnatural or something to be marginalized.

That's as low as you have went and you have went low, why don't you stick to the debate and not bring in people with learning disabilities.

No wides

Quote from: J70 on December 20, 2016, 01:18:20 PM

If depends on what you define "change" as. You'd obviously have to adjust to your son or daughter not being straight, but beyond that what difference should it make to your relationship to them? They're still your kid. Nothing about them has changed except what their expressed sexuality is. Instead of them shacking up with a member of the opposite sex, they shack up with a member of the same sex. Everything else is status quo.

I don't see what the big deal is.

I mean I can see why it would be a big deal if you thought homosexuality was this terrible sin or crime against nature, or not "normal". But, increasing numbers of people don't think that way.

The certainty that things would change in any meaningful way is just projection on the part of you and No Wides.

Your son having an operation to get breasts and becoming a "woman", that is normal!  Keep taking the redner kid.

J70

Quote from: No wides on December 20, 2016, 01:22:19 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 20, 2016, 01:06:59 PM

That's as low as you have went and you have went low, why don't you stick to the debate and not bring in people with learning disabilities.

Are you missing the point deliberately?