Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Keyser soze on December 04, 2017, 10:25:41 AM
Quote from: seafoid on December 02, 2017, 11:44:37 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on December 02, 2017, 10:50:09 AM
Farmers here get shafted anyway. Similar meat carcasses get more money in england scotland from the the abattoirs than tbey do here. Why is that? This bullshit the dup are spouting about the brits being the norths most important trading partner is laughable...they use us because people are on lower wages so they can get there goods cheaper here.
I think 80% of farm incomes come from the EU.
Food prices are kept high in Europe.
Not in the US where it is a free for all.
Brexit will slash farm incomes. And reduce food quality.

The farm subsidies from the EU keep prices lower, when they are gone prices will rise.

Your post makes absolutely no sense.

At least half of the population cannot afford higher food prices.
If the UK is open to US farm exports prices will fall.
Just compare US and UK prices now.
EU policy is to keep people on the land. US policy is laissez faire.
Brits will eND up eating even more industrialised food

seafoid

Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 04, 2017, 11:01:16 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on December 04, 2017, 09:36:40 AM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 03, 2017, 10:42:08 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on December 03, 2017, 10:29:25 PM
Sounded like a softening of attitude from Simon Coveney in his TV interview today ... all Ireland want's is an agreed parameter ref. the border issue, a resolution for it can wait until phase 2 of the negotiations ... hmmm.

Imagine that, FG selling northerners down the river. I think that reminds me of something...

Do you want to backtrack on that? Coveney in particular has been resolute and admirable in how he has gone about the negotiations. It would be much easier to just agree to whatever the UK propose if he wasn't bothered about the north.

Yes. I was basing it off what was said in the post I quoted, but the headlines and quotes in this morning's papers and from his appearance on RTE refute that. I actually think Coveney and Varadkar have done a fantastic job so far.

However, if they back down and let the British government away without guaranteeing regulatory convergence for the north and a soft border, I'll go back to being sold out. They have May in a corner and they can't let her out now and postpone the border issue, or it will never be resolved with the interests of this island in mind.
There has to be regulatory convergence for the border areas.
Nobody thought Brexit through

armaghniac

Farmers here get shafted anyway. Similar meat carcasses get more money in england scotland from the the abattoirs than tbey do here. Why is that? This bullshit the dup are spouting about the brits being the norths most important trading partner is laughable...they use us because people are on lower wages so they can get there goods cheaper here.

The farm subsidies from the EU keep prices lower, when they are gone prices will rise.

I think seafoid's post is valid. If Britain opens up trade to cheaper overseas food then food prices may fall, local producers would then have a problem and I wouldn't rely on sufficient subsidy reaching them to make up the difference.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tubberman

BREAKING: UK will concede that there will be no "regulatory divergence" on the island of Ireland on the single market and customs union, acc to a draft text seen by @rtenews
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tubberman

This is huge - can't believe DUP will support Tory govt if this is their position.

GJL

Quote from: Tubberman on December 04, 2017, 11:24:35 AM
BREAKING: UK will concede that there will be no "regulatory divergence" on the island of Ireland on the single market and customs union, acc to a draft text seen by @rtenews

Time to get the popcorn! 8)

OgraAnDun

Where have you seen this? Can't see it on their website or RTE News twitter.

GJL

Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 04, 2017, 11:32:37 AM

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2017/1204/924815-single-market-eu-negotiations/

OgraAnDun

Quote from: GJL on December 04, 2017, 11:33:42 AM

Thanks, brilliant news! And as you said, time to watch the fireworks. DUP are screwed either way because if they cause an election they will have "IRA supporter" Corbyn instead.

Real Talk

Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 04, 2017, 11:01:16 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on December 04, 2017, 09:36:40 AM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on December 03, 2017, 10:42:08 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on December 03, 2017, 10:29:25 PM
Sounded like a softening of attitude from Simon Coveney in his TV interview today ... all Ireland want's is an agreed parameter ref. the border issue, a resolution for it can wait until phase 2 of the negotiations ... hmmm.

Imagine that, FG selling northerners down the river. I think that reminds me of something...

Do you want to backtrack on that? Coveney in particular has been resolute and admirable in how he has gone about the negotiations. It would be much easier to just agree to whatever the UK propose if he wasn't bothered about the north.

Yes. I was basing it off what was said in the post I quoted, but the headlines and quotes in this morning's papers and from his appearance on RTE refute that. I actually think Coveney and Varadkar have done a fantastic job so far.

However, if they back down and let the British government away without guaranteeing regulatory convergence for the north and a soft border, I'll go back to being sold out. They have May in a corner and they can't let her out now and postpone the border issue, or it will never be resolved with the interests of this island in mind.

The Brits have a lot of negotiating experience where the short term is all they are concerned about, where long term integrity means absolutely nothing.  The lack of implementation of  " their side of the bargain " in the Good Friday agreement.  Have to say the Irish Government have a massive job on their hands ..... if its down to a choice of words ... we're in trouble .... HOPE I'm wrong

johnneycool

BBC are playing this one cute as usual, the Tory hoors;

"According to RTE's political editor Tony Connelly, a draft text being circulated suggests the UK is set to agree to a key Irish demand - that there would be no "continued regulatory alignment" for businesses in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland after Brexit."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42217735

No direct British Gov response, just regurgitating the RTE one.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on December 04, 2017, 11:19:16 AM

I think seafoid's post is valid. If Britain opens up trade to cheaper overseas food then food prices may fall, local producers would then have a problem and I wouldn't rely on sufficient subsidy reaching them to make up the difference.
Farmers don't get cost for some products so from that POV prices are low but a lot of farms are small.
In the US the farms are huge and the food is drenched in antibiotics and chemicals.  So it is way cheaper .
Very ltitle beef would be grass fed for example.

seafoid

Quote from: johnneycool on December 04, 2017, 11:58:48 AM

BBC are playing this one cute as usual, the Tory hoors;

"According to RTE's political editor Tony Connelly, a draft text being circulated suggests the UK is set to agree to a key Irish demand - that there would be no "continued regulatory alignment" for businesses in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland after Brexit."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42217735

No direct British Gov response, just regurgitating the RTE one.

Sterling is under pressure  . They need a deal.
The Brits are world class at throwing Irish people under the bus . Now may be the DUP''s turn

These are really significant days.

What goes around comes around

https://youtu.be/Slu23kGEw48

screenexile

Tubberman

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has called other party leaders in for special meeting on Brexit meeting on 1.30pm. @IrishTimes