Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on November 20, 2016, 03:41:30 PM
Quote from: trileacman on November 20, 2016, 12:09:46 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 20, 2016, 10:17:45 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 20, 2016, 09:56:33 AM
Pour encourager les autres

It is like something out of the Middle Ages that would happen to Ireland. The great game.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/19/europes-leaders-force-uk-hard-brexit-farage-le-pen

This is the thinking that brought the people a decade of austerity. Austerity has brought us Brexit, Trump and maybe Le Pen. So they decide on more austerity.

Bitching about austerity is grand and popular muppet but when your spending is X and your income is 1 billion less than that then you have no option but to cut your cloth to fit.

All these f**kers bitching about austerity, you can't spend money you don't have. Syrzia tried it and they're going down in a ball of flames.

Funnily enough I agree to a point.

But austerity in Ireland was imposed on us because of the failure of private banks. I know we had a deficit, especially when stamp duty dried up, but the bank guarantee and the ECB's insistence on no bank being allowed to fail screwed us.

The EZ doesn't have a bank recapitalisation system or agreed rules on how to wind down a failed bank at least cost. Because the galacticos who devised the Euro didn't think it would be needed.

The bank guarantee was a mistake but it wasn't the main reason the sovereign took on all that debt.
When Cyprus got into trouble the ECB stuck depositors with the losses.

trileacman

It is like something out of the Middle Ages that would happen to Ireland. The great game.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/19/europes-leaders-force-uk-hard-brexit-farage-le-pen

This is the thinking that brought the people a decade of austerity. Austerity has brought us Brexit, Trump and maybe Le Pen. So they decide on more austerity.

Bitching about austerity is grand and popular muppet but when your spending is X and your income is 1 billion less than that then you have no option but to cut your cloth to fit.

All these f**kers bitching about austerity, you can't spend money you don't have. Syrzia tried it and they're going down in a ball of flames.

But austerity in Ireland was imposed on us because of the failure of private banks. I know we had a deficit, especially when stamp duty dried up, but the bank guarantee and the ECB's insistence on no bank being allowed to fail screwed us.

You've beaten this drum to death muppet. Yes the guarantee fucked us, yes the ecb fucked us, you've told us this for the last 7 years. We get it.

But the milk is spilt, quit crying over it. It's ten years ago and we are now dealing with the here and now. So please tell me how we have an alternative to austerity, and who's ass will we pull the several billion needed to sink money into the hse, run guard stations in balyspittle, build social housing, pay luas drivers like they're orthopaedic surgeons and whatever other populist notion is now doing the rounds.

If we struck oil in belmullet in 2010, sure we could have seen all this money spent but in reality we didn't. I'll use the words of a man who was a charlatan but not a fool; we were living beyond our means and had to tighten our belts.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

muppet

Quote from: trileacman on November 20, 2016, 11:10:21 PM

You've beaten this drum to death muppet. Yes the guarantee fucked us, yes the ecb fucked us, you've told us this for the last 7 years. We get it.

But the milk is spilt, quit crying over it. It's ten years ago and we are now dealing with the here and now. So please tell me how we have an alternative to austerity, and who's ass will we pull the several billion needed to sink money into the hse, run guard stations in balyspittle, build social housing, pay luas drivers like they're orthopaedic surgeons and whatever other populist notion is now doing the rounds.

If we struck oil in belmullet in 2010, sure we could have seen all this money spent but in reality we didn't. I'll use the words of a man who was a charlatan but not a fool; we were living beyond our means and had to tighten our belts.

As I said, some of the austerity was because of the dried up stamp duty revenues. That was our fault for electing populists who lowered taxes to get re-elected over and over again.

The bank debt was private debt gambled away privately. The ECB decided we pay for that. It is wayyyy to late to change it.

My point was very simple. The same people are going down the same hard line road with Brexit. Thus what can we expect?
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

What is your point, Muppet?  Do you mean that the same type of people are driving British hard Brexit policies or that the EU are?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on November 21, 2016, 01:43:41 AM
What is your point, Muppet?  Do you mean that the same type of people are driving British hard Brexit policies or that the EU are?

The same EU thinking that thought austerity for everyone was better than losses for speculators, is thinking that they need to teach Britain a lesson.

Incidentally Britain had the same attitude negotiating the Armistice.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on November 21, 2016, 01:47:04 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 21, 2016, 01:43:41 AM

The same EU thinking that thought austerity for everyone was better than losses for speculators, is thinking that they need to teach Britain a lesson.

The same dud logic on both sides  . Protecting the rich. The Euros want to.punish the UK so France doesn't vote neo fascist.
Why the Brits want to voluntarily leave is a mystery. They didn't lose a war.
It's sado masochism.

armaghniac

You are reading too many jingoistic British newspapers, where anything other than Britain getting exactly everything it wants is being characterised as "punishing" Britain. There is no need for anything to changed in Britain's present arrangements, and most people in the EU would happily leave it the way it is, all that is needed to Britain to grow up.

No wides

Quote from: AQMP on November 21, 2016, 11:28:35 AM
May is speaking to the CBI this morning.  According to The Guardian she's hinting at a "transitional deal" for UK to leave EU.  If it's anything like SF's view that the GFA was a transitional arrangement towards a UI, then we could be here for a very long time!

It could take 10 years for Britain to be totally out so you need a transitional deal before the real deal.

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on November 21, 2016, 10:20:36 AM

You are reading too many jingoistic British newspapers, where anything other than Britain getting exactly everything it wants is being characterised as "punishing" Britain. There is no need for anything to changed in Britain's present arrangements, and most people in the EU would happily leave it the way it is, all that is needed to Britain to grow up.

Here is a non-British paper with the hardline angle: http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/uk-faces-hefty-brexit-bill-as-eu-negotiators-take-tough-stance-1.2868547 It is hardly just a figment of the imagination of British media.

The British government is in complete chaos, no need at the moment to attack their thinking, as there isn't any yet. There is plenty of time for that. My comment is purely about the EU.

Seafoid has often posted the phrase pour décourager les autres regarding the thinking of the EU. I agree with him that this is likely  to be their policy and I think it would be disastrous, if this is the basis for their side of the negotiations.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Thinking more about it, the EU demands for massive exit payments reminds me even more of the the Armistice.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on November 21, 2016, 12:28:14 PM
Thinking more about it, the EU demands for massive exit payments reminds me even more of the the Armistice.

Exaggerate much?

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on November 21, 2016, 01:05:31 PM

Exaggerate much?

Do you offer anything other than insults?
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

The costs of Brexit keep on ratcheting up. Another £100 bn in lost tax between now and 2020. I thought it would save £10 bn a year.   Brexit will end up costing more than the Irish bailout. I am not surprised business is screaming for a transition deal.

The Daily Heil was talking about a 40% chance of getting the deficit to zero by 2020 but that is even less likely now. They have a deficit of I think £100 bn a year that has to be borrowed. Half of the deficit comes from the miners strike days . The whole thing is for the birds. Even Denmark wants a hard Brexit.  Denmark is the country with the second biggest level of exports as % GDP to the UK. Guess who is first! !!!

Mr Wolf from Pulp Fiction should lead a governent of national unity.

I was reading a bedtime story the other night. There is nothing as incoherent as Brexit in the books in our house. Baddies make mistakes but not on the Brexit scale.

seafoid

It could be but I think it is more an attempt to get them to cop on.
Losing Euro clearing will cost 80,000 jobs.

Last year the most expensive Christmas hamper sold by a wine merchant in London cost £10,000
This year the most expensive hamper sold by the same crowd costs £1000. Brexit is a party shaker.