Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

The most fascinating thing about Brexit for me is that it is England that is fucked this time. Not Oireland. England usually wins. But Thatcherism has broken it. Having pity for the Tans is a new thing for me.

Rossfan

Can't be many Black n Tans left by now ;D
Unless you mean O'Hara and Maughan.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on October 11, 2016, 03:22:53 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 11, 2016, 12:42:06 PM
I would guess for Europe we would now have 3 channels on arrival:

1) Irish + British citizens
2) EU Citizens
3) All others

All this does is split the current 'EU citizens' channel in two. The usual suspects will jump up and down about sovereignty but the US CBP being on Irish soil is much the same thing. The alternative is to reinstate the border.

This idea isn't a runner as far as I can see, puttting EU citizens in an inferior queue is not a reasonable proposition. Not sure if UK citizens can be allowed stay in the EU queue, probably not. 

We all ready have that when we travel to a Schengen country, which is most of the EU excluding Britain and Ireland.

QuoteThe alternative is to reinstate the border.

This would not be "reinstatement", as there was never passport type control on the border. It is also entirely infeasible, the only feasible controls are at a Stranraer and Liverpool.

That was before Ireland joined the EU.

The whole Guardian article was mere distraction from the real customs type issues.
These are very, very real border issues.
MWWSI 2017

haranguerer

Will customs huts and stops not have to be reinstated anyway, which for all intents and purposes makes the border as 'hard' as it would be for passports?

muppet

Quote from: haranguerer on October 11, 2016, 04:37:08 PM
Will customs huts and stops not have to be reinstated anyway, which for all intents and purposes makes the border as 'hard' as it would be for passports?

Not if we agree a common travel area, hence the talk about common border controls at the ports + airports.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on October 11, 2016, 04:34:01 PM
We all ready have that when we travel to a Schengen country, which is most of the EU excluding Britain and Ireland.

We don't. All EU persons entering Schengen stand in the same queue. Those already in Schengen have no queue.
QuoteThe alternative is to reinstate the border.

Not if we agree a common travel area, hence the talk about common border controls at the ports + airports.

These common controls are fine for non EU citizens, such things already exist and this should be expanded. However, for EU citizens they can come into Dublin without being asked their business and this will continue, when it might not in London.

Quote from: haranguerer on October 11, 2016, 04:37:08 PM

There were never more than 16 or 18 huts. Why would a person choose to travel that way if their papers were not in order? There is no question of custom huts anyhow, they wouldn't last a day.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on October 11, 2016, 05:42:30 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 11, 2016, 04:34:01 PM

We don't. All EU persons entering Schengen stand in the same queue. Those already in Schengen have no queue.

Ah, so then there are 3 queues:

1) Schengen arrival
2) EU but non-Schengen arrival
3) Non-EU arrival.

MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on October 11, 2016, 05:46:48 PM
1) Schengen arrival
3) Non-EU arrival.

You should travel more.

Schengen arrivals don't have any formalities, except some now introduced following Angel Merkel inviting all of Asia and Africa to come to Germany, these mainly apply to Black people.

Other arrivals face two queues, one EEA and one non EEA. The British have yet to decide in which queue they will be.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: armaghniac on October 11, 2016, 05:42:30 PM

There were never more than 16 or 18 huts. Why would a person choose to travel that way if their papers were not in order? There is no question of custom huts anyhow, they wouldn't last a day.

Seems an apt image.

armaghniac

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on October 11, 2016, 06:15:10 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 11, 2016, 05:46:48 PM
1) Schengen arrival
3) Non-EU arrival.

You should travel more.

Schengen arrivals don't have any formalities, except some now introduced following Angel Merkel inviting all of Asia and Africa to come to Germany, these mainly apply to Black people.

Other arrivals face two queues, one EEA and one non EEA. The British have yet to decide in which queue they will be.

You don't seem to understand the issue at all. If you think crossing from France into Spain is comparable you are missing the point completely. Firstly all arrivals are from people already in a Schengen country (thus they have already been screened to be in all countries in the Schengen area)  and secondly, there is a land border between the countries involved - so at that border there are no arrivals from non-Schengen or non-EU areas.

Ireland and Britain are island so there are no arrivals other than via ports and airports.

The key issue for us will be what happens travellers to Ireland and from Ireland.

At the moment arrivals into Ireland split into two lines (because we are non-Schengen):

1) EU (Including Irish citizens, Brits and the rest of EU)
2) Non-Eu

While arriving in Schengen countries you have

1) Schengen (you seem to think this is no hassle, however every airport and seaport has to have dedicated arrival areas for Schengen arrivals to keep them seperate from the rest - these passengers cannot mix with the others until the others have been cleared to enter the Schengen area)
2) non-Schengen EU
3) Non-EU

I think we will deal with Britain and the EU to have something similar for arrivals:

1) Britain and Ireland travel area
2) EU (without Ireland)
3) non-EU.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Xenon
7 hours ago

So, the reactionary electorate that wanted a return to the 'good old days' have their way. Sterling crisis, steepening gilt yield curve, rising inflation expectations to be followed by rising inflation, government poised for fiscal stimulus...it is 1971 again. Happy days are here again...

chaswaobler
6 hours ago

@Xenon I remember the 70's was pretty appalling. And that's before the fashion crimes.

Italianstallion
5 hours ago

Yes. The food was disgusting for a start
UK tech SME
59 minutes ago

@Xenon Let's join the EEC.

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on October 11, 2016, 07:35:02 PM
I think we will deal with Britain and the EU to have something similar for arrivals:

1) Britain and Ireland travel area
2) EU (without Ireland)
3) non-EU.

This would be very wise and only bad design in Dublin airport has made this difficult. However, my point is that this does not make a great deal of difference to the actual issue, which is presumably that the EU arrivals will take the bus to Belfast and get the ferry.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on October 11, 2016, 03:33:43 PM
The most fascinating thing about Brexit for me is that it is England that is fucked this time. Not Oireland. England usually wins. But Thatcherism has broken it. Having pity for the Tans is a new thing for me.

Has Ireland paid off their debt yet?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 11, 2016, 08:39:13 PM
Has Ireland paid off their debt yet?

Has any nation paid off its debt?
I think they had a small amount of bonds in Sterling, they'll be able to pay these off with a couple of €500 notes.