Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

Quote from: armaghniac on July 24, 2016, 12:34:20 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on July 24, 2016, 12:14:22 PM
I was going through passport control at Belfast International Airport yesterday morning, and handed over my Irish passport to a gentleman on the desk.  To quote his exact words to me as he sniggered, "Oh, you've one of those.  Enjoy your dual nationality, you might not have it for long" ... WTF!

That's outrageous, I thought those days were gone.

Not in one of our wee Airports!  http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/british-black-woman-awarded-2k-after-claim-immigration-officer-said-she-looked-foreign-at-belfast-city-airport-34898871.html

bennydorano

I can recall a story (could be bullshit), think it appeared on here or it could have been in the Irish News. Somebody arrived at Belfast International Airport, asking for  a Taxi to Derry, the taxi man said he'd never heard of it, not sure I'd the punter knew the nuances (idiocy) of the locals, but IIRC the taxi man wasn't for budging until he called it Londonderry. Can't mind what way it worked out.

michaelg

Quote from: bennydorano on July 24, 2016, 03:19:27 PM
I can recall a story (could be bullshit), think it appeared on here or it could have been in the Irish News. Somebody arrived at Belfast International Airport, asking for  a Taxi to Derry, the taxi man said he'd never heard of it, not sure I'd the punter knew the nuances (idiocy) of the locals, but IIRC the taxi man wasn't for budging until he called it Londonderry. Can't mind what way it worked out.
Must be true then.

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on July 24, 2016, 03:19:27 PM

Definite accounts  of same happening at Translink. Possibly more likely than a taxi, as you would just take another taxi if the first one was a bollix.

There is a significant set of people in the 6 counties for whom negativity and obstruction is their stock in trade and they have found a First Minister to represent them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rois

I was going through passport control at Belfast International Airport yesterday morning, and handed over my Irish passport to a gentleman on the desk.  To quote his exact words to me as he sniggered, "Oh, you've one of those.  Enjoy your dual nationality, you might not have it for long" ... WTF!
That is a disgrace, I'd make a fuss out of this. Apart from the fact that it's a stupid comment (prob very pleased with himself too), when is it ever ok for a government representative to comment on a passport.

armaghniac

Quote from: Rois on July 24, 2016, 04:37:55 PM
That is a disgrace, I'd make a fuss out of this. Apart from the fact that it's a stupid comment (prob very pleased with himself too), when is it ever ok for a government representative to comment on a passport.

It would be an interesting experiment to leave the recording on, on your phone or similar while engaging with these people.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on July 24, 2016, 04:45:57 PM

It would be an interesting experiment to leave the recording on, on your phone or similar while engaging with these people.

A GoPro would sort these things out!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Arthur_Friend

No way I'd let thatgo without a complaint.

imtommygunn

There was an incident at europa train i think it was where someone wasn't sold a ticket to derry because there was "no such place". I think it made belfast telegraph.

armaghniac

Legal challenge on the way
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ni-politicians-threaten-legal-challenge-to-brexit-1.2733162

British prime minister Theresa May has been put on notice that she faces a legal challenge from prominent Northern Ireland politicians and interest groups over Brexit.

Mrs May will meet First Minister Arlene Foster and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness in Stormont today on her first visit to Northern Ireland as prime minister.

Ahead of the visit, however, senior politicians, who include the SDLP and Alliance leaders and a former Sinn Féin minister, have demanded that Mrs May ensure that the Belfast Agreement and the peace process are legally protected before there is any legal move by the UK to leave the EU.
EU law

They said they would seek a judicial review if Mrs May "fails to commit to comply with the UK's constitutional and legal obligations in deciding whether and when to trigger article 50", the mechanism that must be activated to take the UK out of the EU.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on July 25, 2016, 12:19:54 AM
Legal challenge on the way
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ni-politicians-threaten-legal-challenge-to-brexit-1.2733162

British prime minister Theresa May has been put on notice that she faces a legal challenge from prominent Northern Ireland politicians and interest groups over Brexit.

Mrs May will meet First Minister Arlene Foster and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness in Stormont today on her first visit to Northern Ireland as prime minister.

Ahead of the visit, however, senior politicians, who include the SDLP and Alliance leaders and a former Sinn Féin minister, have demanded that Mrs May ensure that the Belfast Agreement and the peace process are legally protected before there is any legal move by the UK to leave the EU.
EU law

They said they would seek a judicial review if Mrs May "fails to commit to comply with the UK's constitutional and legal obligations in deciding whether and when to trigger article 50", the mechanism that must be activated to take the UK out of the EU.
The EU is discussing a 7 year immigration brake with access to the single market but no seat at the negotiating table.
Without any say over finance rules for example the City is seriously weakened. Brexit is self harm.
May will.try to string it out while people understand the economic consequences. And then have another vote .

gallsman

a) I reckon balladmaker is talking out of his arse. Complete fabrication.

b) The TransLink one happened about ten years ago and was all over the news. A Canadian tourist. So michaelg, you can swallow this one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/6954599.stm

seafoid

Quote from: gallsman on July 25, 2016, 08:04:03 AM
a) I reckon balladmaker is talking out of his arse. Complete fabrication.

b) The TransLink one happened about ten years ago and was all over the news. A Canadian tourist. So michaelg, you can swallow this one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/6954599.stm
It was a girl who became a woman during the incident if you read the report. Hmmn

News.BBC.Co. uk/2/Hi
is the site for everything to with Derry,hi

omaghjoe

I dunno in my experience passport officers can have a real bee in their bonnet sometimes over SFA. My brother in law encountered a total wally at Aldergrove once a well, who went through him for a short cut, was telephoning us in arrivals hall to verify his story, kept him there for nearly an hour pissin around and then after all that BS, let him through. Dickhead on a power trip just.

Also I was going thru American immigration once at Dublin airport and the guy said something to me along the lines off....
"Ah Northern Ireland, well sure we just consider it all Ireland, cos thats how its going to end up the one country anyway"
Funniest thing was I was using my British passport at the time.  ;D ;D ;D
Ive learned to say as little as possible at passport checkpoints over the years so I smiled and went along with it and he didnt really offend me anyway. But I was tempted to say for the craic "Is that the official line from the US State Department?"

Milltown Row2

Over an 8 month period I flew twice a week with work and not once did I pass anything like passport control.... Unless you're flying stateside which is fecking shit once you hit immigration you'll very rarely hit passport control, even came back from Amsterdam and nothing but a nod!!

I'd say ya must be dodgy looking enough to get singled out  :o

Do you need a visa to get into countries within Europe that aren't part of the EU?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea