Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

I was thinking Milliband is their best hope of salvation myself. I checked the betting for next labour leader on Sunday and today it is unrecognisable from that. According to Oddschecker Watson & Angela Eagle joint favs, Dan Jarvis next. Yvette Cooper was 6/1 on Sunday and now available at 25s. Sadik Khan obviously has future ambitions but if Corbyn gets back in as seems unbelievably possible there Mightn't be a credible Labour party left when gets back to Westminster.

Corbyn's ideological stances are all fine & dandy but he's a pathetic leader and the public at large aren't buying what he's selling, unelectable. He will be the death of the Labour party if he gets back in. The Tories are so vulnerable  at the minute a General Election should be a gift for Labour (& and a chance for a Liberal recovery).

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 28, 2016, 04:42:40 PM
https://audioboom.com/boos/4751336-dup-s-gregory-campbell-grilled-on-vote-leave-s-50m-a-day-nhs-claim?utm_campaign=detailpage&utm_content=retweet&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

I haven't much time for Nolan but at least he put it up to Campbell here the lying b@stard.
This interview just sums him and the DUP up in a nutshell.

he's called 'Fleg'gory Campbell on the LAD Facebook page  ;D

seafoid

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 28, 2016, 05:15:24 PM
Any chance David Milliband can come back and save the labour party??
Blairite neoliberal. They need someone to take on the neoliberals

bennydorano

Quote from: seafoid on June 28, 2016, 06:09:51 PM
Not if their plan is to regain power. The current strategy / leadership is Electoral suicide.

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on June 28, 2016, 06:15:41 PM
Not if their plan is to regain power. The current strategy / leadership is Electoral suicide.
the economic system drove at least half of the brexit vote.
Labour should campaign on a super tax of the richest 1%  to fund the north of England.

muppet

Do you get paid to use the word neoliberal?
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

He read it in the guardian once. It'ss fashionable to use.

omaghjoe

Whats the difference between a neolib and a neocon?

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

armaghniac

Spotlight is also looking at the Polish community in Belfast. These now have a motivation to get UK passports, which will let them vote. One imagines the DUP will not be first on their list. Paisley Jr claims on the programme that the "vast" majority of people in the UK wanted to leave. While that oul cnut Trimble said that things would be just like before 1972 and how that would be fine. Of course they were only moderately tolerable owing to the Anglo-Irish Free Trade Area Agreement of 1965.

So the good old days were like this
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GJL

Spotlight was indeed interesting. I would think the DUP are shitting the togs behind closed doors especially when it comes to Scotland's next move.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: GJL on June 29, 2016, 12:07:11 AM
Spotlight was indeed interesting. I would think the DUP are shitting the togs behind closed doors especially when it comes to Scotland's next move.

Its really funny listening to Unionists so sure that the SNP won't demand another independence referendum and that there is no stomach for it. The reason the SNP exist is to create the circumstances for Scottish independence and won't pass up the opportunity that brexit has handed them.I cant wait to hear what they have to say for themselves in the event of a Scottish exit.

muppet

Quote from: SkillfulBill on June 29, 2016, 12:26:30 AM

Its really funny listening to Unionists so sure that the SNP won't demand another independence referendum and that there is no stomach for it. The reason the SNP exist is to create the circumstances for Scottish independence and won't pass up the opportunity that brexit has handed them.I cant wait to hear what they have to say for themselves in the event of a Scottish exit.

I don't see Scotland leaving the UK. But I see them staying in the EU. How that circle will be squared, I have no idea.

In my humble opinion, The Dáil, Nationalists and concerned others in the North should be seeking the same for the moment. I think SF's call for a border poll is very stupid. Another uncertain public vote is the last thing anyone wants at this time. But there could be genuine ground made by seeking a route to stay in the EU.
MWWSI 2017

SkillfulBill

Quote from: muppet on June 29, 2016, 12:34:13 AM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on June 29, 2016, 12:26:30 AM

I don't see Scotland leaving the UK. But I see them staying in the EU. How that circle will be squared, I have no idea.

In my humble opinion, The Dáil, Nationalists and concerned others in the North should be seeking the same for the moment. I think SF's call for a border poll is very stupid. Another uncertain public vote is the last thing anyone wants at this time. But there could be genuine ground made by seeking a route to stay in the EU.

I don't see the SF call for a border poll as a serious attempt to force one. They know very well that now is not the right time but they do see that brexit firms up nationalist opinion and as a republican party it is important to raise the question to put it up there as such. I do think Scotland will go if forced out of UK by what they see as an English vote. SF know that with Scotland out of the UK and westminsters need to look after the English regions NI will be on the hind hind hind tit. A new arrangement may be possible in Ireland when the very Union held by NI unionists no longer exists. I also think that the senior levels of SF (Gerry and Martin) will need to be out of the picture first.

Eamonnca1

Interesting piece here from NPR on how technically the UK wasn't the first to leave the EEC/EU:

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/06/28/483877464/britain-wont-be-the-first-to-leave-a-united-europe-guess-who-was?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160628

Greenland got autonomy from Denmark and elected to leave the EEC. Apparently Algeria was technically in the EEC until they gained autonomy from France. So if a country can be part in - part out via autonomous regions, Scotland and NI might be okay yet. 

As for outright Scottish independence, I'd be interested in seeing the outcome of a referendum now. Brexit has changed things and moved a lot of floating voters into the Yes camp. Nicola Sturgeon continues to kick ass with her handling of everything, she's every inch a stateswoman and is putting those headless chickens Corbyn and Cameron to shame. Boris isn't even in the same league. The only banana skin I see for Scottish independence is a Spanish veto on an independent Scotland's accession to the EU. In fact the Spaniards might even refuse to recognise Scotland lest it encourage the Basques and Catalans.