Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

93-DY-SAM

Is it just me or have the principle players in the official leave camp completely disappeared off the scene. They were quick to jump up and down last week and dismiss "Project Fear" but I haven't seen much sight nor sound of them since. What's their plans now they have dragged the electorate into this mess?

Not much noise from our great leader "Arlene" either. About time she started to lay out her plans for this place. Not that she or the DUP have a plan. They are quick to pick and chose which democratic decisions they want to accept. There wasn't much acceptance from the DUP regarding the decision to remove the union flag at city hall. Or the fact that the rest of the UK has marriage equality but they can't accept this in our wee country. Their brazen hypocrisy never ceases to amaze, time and time again.

On a slightly different note:

:) :) :)

muppet

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on June 28, 2016, 11:45:59 AM
Is it just me or have the principle players in the official leave camp completely disappeared off the scene. They were quick to jump up and down last week and dismiss "Project Fear" but I haven't seen much sight nor sound of them since. What's their plans now they have dragged the electorate into this mess?

Not much noise from our great leader "Arlene" either. About time she started to lay out her plans for this place. Not that she or the DUP have a plan. They are quick to pick and chose which democratic decisions they want to accept. There wasn't much acceptance from the DUP regarding the decision to remove the union flag at city hall. Or the fact that the rest of the UK has marriage equality but they can't accept this in our wee country. Their brazen hypocrisy never ceases to amaze, time and time again.

On a slightly different note:

:) :) :)

It is definitely not just you.

It reminds me of a schoolboy prank, where no one can quite believe they did it, and then they all leg it.

MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 28, 2016, 11:45:29 AM
Total brexit won't happen. Merkel et al are talking tough for now. The reality is that the UK can not be forced to invoke article 50. What will quite likely happen is negotiations leading to a brexitlite which will be in effect no brexit at all. I voted remain for a number of reasons, most important to me was the Irish border. I have some sympathy with those who fear immigration at current levels and I don't want a European Superstate.

That would be a humiliation for Britain. Can anyone seriously see the Tories going cap in hand to the Germans & French and saying 'we didn't really mean it, can we sleep in the shed'?
MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

Quote from: muppet on June 28, 2016, 11:56:56 AM
Total brexit won't happen. Merkel et al are talking tough for now. The reality is that the UK can not be forced to invoke article 50. What will quite likely happen is negotiations leading to a brexitlite which will be in effect no brexit at all. I voted remain for a number of reasons, most important to me was the Irish border. I have some sympathy with those who fear immigration at current levels and I don't want a European Superstate.

That would be a humiliation for Britain. Can anyone seriously see the Tories going cap in hand to the Germans & French and saying 'we didn't really mean it, can we sleep in the shed'?
No fcukin choice.

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 28, 2016, 11:57:58 AM

No fcukin choice.

It would be seen as way beyond treasonous. They would rather all live in a slurry pit, awarding each other medals for bravery, than go begging to the Germans.
MWWSI 2017

NAG1

Quote from: muppet on June 28, 2016, 12:00:18 PM

No fcukin choice.

It would be seen as way beyond treasonous. They would rather all live in a slurry pit, awarding each other medals for bravery, than go begging to the Germans.

This is yet another case of the top 1%ers using the bottom 10%ers to get their way. An internal Tory schism has now led to this whole sorry debacle. Cameron has to take the blame for the gamble, but Jeremy Corbyn has acted shamefully throughout this and now hasnt even got the good grace to aside and let the labour party get a leader who would make them even electable again.

seafoid

No fcukin choice.

After Hitler killed himself Goering went to the Americans and offered to lead a transitional government that would fight the Soviets with the Yanks . Power is strange. If the City wants Remain it will happen. The Sun can sell the deal to the plebs with more tits if necessary.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: muppet on June 28, 2016, 11:53:27 AM

It is definitely not just you.

It reminds me of a schoolboy prank, where no one can quite believe they did it, and then they all leg it.

Some leaders. Age old story, when the shite hits the fan, run.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on June 28, 2016, 09:59:42 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on June 28, 2016, 09:34:25 AM
There will be another referendum, this time multiple choice:
1. Remain,
2. Leave and become a member of the EEA continuing to allow free movement and paying in
3. Leave and take WTO terms (limited access & tariffs).
By that stage both Labour & Tories will have torn themselves apart.

The problem with 1) is that once you initiate Article 50 it may no longer be available and you have to start the process to actually calculate 2). So it might be just 2) and 3). In this case of course 2) would pass by a substantial margin, but a lot of people would still be pissed off. The EU would then have got rid of the hassle of dealing with the UK from the policy end, but would still keep most of the money. You might as well just stay in altogether.

The whole thing is a monumental mess.
It really is. Unionism sailed on blithely through WW2 and 30 years of violence but Brexit is existential.
SnP downgraded the UK because of the politics. I think the Tory party is going through a process similar to that of the Republican party.  Ultimately the voters are sick of the leadership..

muppet

Quote from: NAG1 on June 28, 2016, 12:22:49 PM

No fcukin choice.

This is yet another case of the top 1%ers using the bottom 10%ers to get their way. An internal Tory schism has now led to this whole sorry debacle. Cameron has to take the blame for the gamble, but Jeremy Corbyn has acted shamefully throughout this and now hasnt even got the good grace to aside and let the labour party get a leader who would make them even electable again.

In my experience Britain is the most class based society in the West. The bottom 10% of English won't even bother to try to get into the 10% above them. They will always bow to them. What they will all do, though, is see themselves as being a class above the rest of the world, no matter what nationality.

The polls were wrong about the GE and wrong about the Referendum because they ignored this undercurrent of English supremacy, which has its roots at the top but extends right through the country. The history of the Empire, WW1 and WW2, and all of the glorious remembrances and ceremonies that go with it, fuel this sense of superiority.

I am concerned about the casual racism that is appearing in the last few days. Because of social media it could just be a few isolated incidents going viral, or it could be the start of something far more sinister. Hopefully not.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

The only politicians who have any idea what they are doing or what they want are the SNP and the Scottish Government.
Their line of " we want to stay in the EU" is brilliant.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mac2

Ironic those signs of 'No more Polish vermin' the very pilots that saved their sorry ass during the Battle of Britain.

muppet

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0628/798632-uk-brexit-politics/http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0628/798632-uk-brexit-politics/

...London's mayor says the city should move for more autonomy after a majority of Londoners voted against Britain's exit from the European Union.

"We face a long and difficult summer with a lame duck government drawn from a deeply divided party. Ironically, the speed of our exit from the EU looks likely to be decided in Brussels, Paris, and Berlin rather than in London"....

..."In the four days since the referendum around a 175,000 Londoners have signed a petition calling for London to become an independent city-state....

The UK is in serious trouble and the brilliant thing is that the DUP campaigned for it.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on June 28, 2016, 12:53:17 PM
The only politicians who have any idea what they are doing or what they want are the SNP and the Scottish Government.
Their line of " we want to stay in the EU" is brilliant.
Dead right. No government, no opposition and no clue how to deal with Brexit.
I wish Thatcher could see it.
It is amazing how quickly things change. 6 years ago London traders were taunting Brian Lenihan.

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on June 28, 2016, 12:59:19 PM
http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0628/798632-uk-brexit-politics/http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0628/798632-uk-brexit-politics/

...London's mayor says the city should move for more autonomy after a majority of Londoners voted against Britain's exit from the European Union.

"We face a long and difficult summer with a lame duck government drawn from a deeply divided party. Ironically, the speed of our exit from the EU looks likely to be decided in Brussels, Paris, and Berlin rather than in London"....

..."In the four days since the referendum around a 175,000 Londoners have signed a petition calling for London to become an independent city-state....

The UK is in serious trouble and the brilliant thing is that the DUP campaigned for it.  ;D
More autonomy for London is very bad news for NI. More autonomy means less in transfers.