Foreign Players in the GAA

Started by Hereiam, May 11, 2016, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on May 11, 2016, 05:59:37 PM
Stefan Okunbar is on the Kerry minor panel this year. First guy of non-Irish heritage to make grade as far as I'm aware.

Dingle  have a kid of Lithuanian origin Devidas Uosis, who is a brilliant keeper but also very good outfield. He should wear the county jersey soon as he's around 16 and at the same age I think there's another lad in John Mitchels in Tralee of African origin (I think), Kevin Williams who is absolutely superb.
There's a (tremendously named) lad of African origin who plays under 16s with Austin Stacks called Joe Looby Lugandu and he's a decent player too.

Down in Cork, there was a tremendous underage prospect that Nemo had, lad called Chiedozie Ogbene. Was MOM in a county u21 final last year at only 19, but unfortunately he has signed for Cork City so is lost to GAA for now. Caused some hilarity hearing attempts by PA men to pronounce his name!

Darren O'Sullivan was born and raised in England.
Max Thiemann is German... http://www.terracetalk.com/kerry-football/player/900/Max-Thiemann

blanketattack

There were loads of non-EU nationals playing in the Ulster Championship at the weekend.

Farrandeelin

James Horan is a New Zealander by birth.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 13, 2016, 12:08:03 PM
That's right. I remember neither parent came from a hurling stronghold, as such.
You're right.  Seems to be Sean Og O'hAilpin. The father came from Fermanagh and the mother was Fijian.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Lar Naparka

Quote from: mrhardyannual on May 12, 2016, 11:45:52 PM
Many clubs in Mayo have newcomer members on underage teams. Kids are gradually being integrated through their schools. It was difficult for kids who came into the country to pick up the skills and soccer clubs were better placed to facilitate them. But as families settle you will see a big increase in participation. Sad to say that it is still easier to accommodate people coming from all over the world than to accommodate Travellers.
Did you know that Mayo was the first (and AFAIK the only) county to field a Traveller? His name was Jimmy Maughan. He came from Ballinrobe and he was a handy footballer. I recall him playing in Croke Park one year can't remember the year but I remember Mayo were bet out the gate that day.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

galwayman

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 04, 2016, 11:35:17 AM
Many clubs in Mayo have newcomer members on underage teams. Kids are gradually being integrated through their schools. It was difficult for kids who came into the country to pick up the skills and soccer clubs were better placed to facilitate them. But as families settle you will see a big increase in participation. Sad to say that it is still easier to accommodate people coming from all over the world than to accommodate Travellers.
Did you know that Mayo was the first (and AFAIK the only) county to field a Traveller? His name was Jimmy Maughan. He came from Ballinrobe and he was a handy footballer. I recall him playing in Croke Park one year can't remember the year but I remember Mayo were bet out the gate that day.
His son Shane played minor and u-21 with Galway & was on the senior squad for a while.

illdecide

Joe Harte...seen here playing for Donegal in the 1992 all ireland final...

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

ludermor

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 04, 2016, 11:14:31 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 13, 2016, 12:08:03 PM
That's right. I remember neither parent came from a hurling stronghold, as such.
You're right.  Seems to be Sean Og O'hAilpin. The father came from Fermanagh and the mother was Fijian.
Ah Jasus !

Harold Disgracey

Bill Doonan who played for Cavan in the 40s was a Traveller.

shark

There was a traveller, Paddy Joyce, playing wing back for Westmeath u21s a couple of years ago.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: illdecide on August 30, 2016, 11:55:11 AM
Joe Harte...seen here playing for Donegal in the 1992 all ireland final...

Clinker  ;D