Who can stop Kerry?

Started by kerryforsam16, July 18, 2016, 08:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

2017 All Ireland semi-finals:

Mayo v Kerry
Dublin v Tyrone

Take it to the bank.

Tyrone might mess that up by taking the scenic route, but I don't think so.
I would have said Mayo would be a cert to lose in Connacht the year after an AI final win, but I think losing to Galway once was enough. So even if they win Sam, they'll just take the league off and come back and win Connacht. Albeit they might be vulnerable in the quarter-finals if they draw an Ulster team.

But if Mayo lose this year's final, I'd be very confident they'll be back in the final in 2017. Where they'll finally get over the line by beating a Tyrone team, who would have celebrated too much after taking the Dubs down in the semis!

yellowcard

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 30, 2016, 03:39:28 PM
A lot of talk about this Kerry team being old and finished but with the exception of O'Mahoney, Mark O'Shea (who both have been replaced for most of the year anyway), Kieran Donaghy and maybe Gooch who haven't played a lot of games the last 2 years anyway.

Most of their defence seem to be quite young now and with Geaney and James O'Donoghue their new star forwards.
Bryan Sheehan will be a big loss of course as such a reliable free taker is so important in todays game. Look how Dublin have replaced Cluxton with Dean Rock and most games he plays he scores 10-12 points quite often.

You would not be too surprised to see them back in the top 3 again next year.

Kerry have transitioned well and players like O'Mahoney, O'Se and Donaghy are past their best now anyway and will not leave that big of a hole behind if they retire. I'd imagine Sheehan and the Gooch will be others considering their positions. All of these players are no longer automatic first choice players though and this is where Fitzmaurice has done well. He has introduced a lot of new players who whilst not individually as talented as the Kerry team of the 00's, they still have a lot of decent players. Add in a conveyor belt of 18/19/20 year olds and it won't be long before they are back winning AI titles again. Their short term aim should be to win an U-21 title next year and introduce one or two more. Now would not be the right time for Fitzmaurice to go imo.   

muppet

Quote from: Hound on August 30, 2016, 04:36:59 PM
2017 All Ireland semi-finals:

Mayo v Kerry
Dublin v Tyrone

Take it to the bank.

Tyrone might mess that up by taking the scenic route, but I don't think so.
I would have said Mayo would be a cert to lose in Connacht the year after an AI final win, but I think losing to Galway once was enough. So even if they win Sam, they'll just take the league off and come back and win Connacht. Albeit they might be vulnerable in the quarter-finals if they draw an Ulster team.

But if Mayo lose this year's final, I'd be very confident they'll be back in the final in 2017. Where they'll finally get over the line by beating a Tyrone team, who would have celebrated too much after taking the Dubs down in the semis!

Excellent.

I'm off for a cryogenic sleep for a year so. If I am not back before this day next year, send someone to wake me up.

Goodnight!

MWWSI 2017

Maroon Manc

I can't say I'm feeling too sorry for Kerry, Cork are a shambles and will probably continue to do so and I'm not convinced Tipp will continue to improve. That with Kerry's ability to always find a soft opponent in a quarter final will probably lead them back to a semi final next year.

I'd imagine the Gooch will carry on and if I was in charge I'd be trying to persuade Donaghy to stay on too. Kerry's minors are going for 3 in a row and their juniors have just won back to back All Irelands hammering everyone who got in their way. It won't be too long before their bringing Sam Maguire back to Kerry.

ballinaman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 30, 2016, 07:41:45 PM
I can't say I'm feeling too sorry for Kerry, Cork are a shambles and will probably continue to do so and I'm not convinced Tipp will continue to improve. That with Kerry's ability to always find a soft opponent in a quarter final will probably lead them back to a semi final next year.

I'd imagine the Gooch will carry on and if I was in charge I'd be trying to persuade Donaghy to stay on too. Kerry's minors are going for 3 in a row and their juniors have just won back to back All Irelands hammering everyone who got in their way. It won't be too long before their bringing Sam Maguire back to Kerry.
Kerry minor panel of last 2 years decimated by injuries. Had to laugh when I read Jack O Connor lamenting his u21 injury list this year...he should know why.
Mark O Connor minor winning captain x 2 has hardly kicked a ball all year...