The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Dubh driocht on January 19, 2014, 12:06:25 PM
That was some performance from Ulster- a huge improvement from last week and , particularly, the poor show against Leinster at Christmas. I thought Henry and Wilson were outstanding and Pienaar is doing what David Humphreys did for years. It is interesting that they didn't push the boat out to keep Afoa and Court but clear that they did want to keep Pienaar and Best. Ravenhill will be rocking for the quarter-final; Saracens will be no pushover but with Bowe to come back, 18/1 to 13/2 is some drop after one game!
It was never a question that Ulster didn't want to keep Afoa or that they couldn't afford him. His wife didn't take to Belfast and decided to stay in NZ, so John has spent much of the last season shuttling back and forth. That was never going to be  a suitable arrangement for either the player or the club, so a move was inevitable. Tom Court got an offer he couldn't refuse, pure and simple. At 33, he was never going to get another long term deal from Ulster, but London Irish offered him a 3 year contract. He'll be a loss to Ulster, no doubt about it. Seeing him beating his chest last night after winning a vital scrum shows that he still has the desire to win big matches.

dec

Assuming Racing don't get a miracle come back.

QF draw:
Ulster v Saracens
Clermont v Leicester
Toulon v Leinster
Munster v Toulouse

dec

Heineken Cup Semi-Final draw:

Ulster/Saracens v Clermont Auvergne/Leicester

Toulon/Leinster v Munster/Toulouse

Ties to be played 25/26/27 April

If Ulster and Leinster both win then both semis will be in Ireland

deiseach

Premature, I know (not that it's ever stopped anyone before), but any talk among the egg-chasers of a Munster-Leinster semi-final being played in Croke Park?

Hound

Quote from: deiseach on January 22, 2014, 09:28:54 AM
Premature, I know (not that it's ever stopped anyone before), but any talk among the egg-chasers of a Munster-Leinster semi-final being played in Croke Park?
Perhaps if Ulster also got there and they didnt think the Aviva could take 2 matches in 2 days, it might be considered. But I doubt it.

rodney trotter

Mils Muliaina signing for Connacht one year deal, some coup for them http://t.co/RS37QMJ3zT

Hoof Hearted

different name but same competition - and same old Munster !!
For Ronan O'Gara see Ian Keatley !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

DuffleKing

Are Munster on the tv anywhere?

mrdeeds

LeoMc

Looking forward to Ravenhill tomorrow. Any Back line with Halfpenny; Armitage, Bastareaud & Habana has to be worth seeing up close.

rodney trotter

Keatley had a shocker tonight kicking,  his general play was good though.

screenexile

Ulster struggling badly all over the place. Pienaar a huge loss they're a shadow of what they were last year.

Can't believe England won't make an exemption for Armitage as well. He is a serious operator and I think they'd canter the 6N with him in the team and ruffle the Southern Hemisphere with his breakdown work @ the WC... Actually thank God they won't!!

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on October 25, 2014, 02:41:47 PM
Ulster struggling badly all over the place. Pienaar a huge loss they're a shadow of what they were last year.

Can't believe England won't make an exemption for Armitage as well. He is a serious operator and I think they'd canter the 6N with him in the team and ruffle the Southern Hemisphere with his breakdown work @ the WC... Actually thank God they won't!!

With Owen Farrell England won't canter to anything.

cicfada

Good grinding win for leinster in France .intetesting that shane Horgan is not wearing a poppy, I would have thought that any analyst or presenter on British tv would have no choice in the matter!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: cicfada on October 26, 2014, 02:48:13 PM
Good grinding win for leinster in France .intetesting that shane Horgan is not wearing a poppy, I would have thought that any analyst or presenter on British tv would have no choice in the matter!!
Is it that time of the year again?!