Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 05, 2014, 08:43:17 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2014, 07:18:03 AM
Working in Buxton at the minute and out of 26 on course plus staff there might be 7/8 people wearing them..... In fairness 3 of them are  ex forces. Thought there would be more. Though the girls and younger lads aren't wearing them.
If you get any time see some of the Peak District. Hope Valley area is nice. Buxton is a decent real ale town if that's your thing.

Buxton tap brewery is my local! Ale's are serious
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

In 2003, there was about a million people who took to the streets of London to protest over the Iraq invasion. I wonder how many of them buy poppies.

ludermor

Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2014, 11:15:12 AM
In 2003, there was about a million people who took to the streets of London to protest over the Iraq invasion. I wonder how many of them buy poppies.

BennyCake

Quote from: ludermor on November 05, 2014, 12:08:49 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2014, 11:15:12 AM

Hmm... interesting.

haveaharp

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 05, 2014, 10:19:30 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 05, 2014, 10:18:04 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 05, 2014, 09:41:34 AM
Well this woke me up this morning as it landed in the station.....

I don't mind that at all. In Flanders Field where red poppies grow is what I would have thought the Poppy should be about. Remembering the dead of all sides in World War I.

Now it has morphed into some sort of celebration of the British Armed Forces, and I'm not crazy about that.

I think that the Poppy appeal on the side of this Tube seems to be supported by one of the main supporters of the British War Machine in Bombadier is sickening.

It's dodgy tackle alright, i get sick of it after 2 or 3

seafoid

8 million men served in the British army in WW1 and there were 16,000 conscientious objectors. Clement and Tom Attlee were 2 brothers - Clement went to War, Tom didn't. Clement became Prime Minister; Tom had difficulty ever getting work again.

https://ownzones.com/reader/guardian-life-style/conscientious-objectors-men-who-fought-a-different-kind-of-battle/b4wfdq58mht45

WW1 led directly to WW2 and the net result was the destruction of much of Europe. WTF was it all about ?
The Yanks took over after 1945.

And this is the best song about WW1, I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8up7r6PscEI

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2014, 10:49:21 AM
Working in Buxton at the minute and out of 26 on course plus staff there might be 7/8 people wearing them..... In fairness 3 of them are  ex forces. Thought there would be more. Though the girls and younger lads aren't wearing them.
If you get any time see some of the Peak District. Hope Valley area is nice. Buxton is a decent real ale town if that's your thing.

The term "like a pig in shite" springs to mind  ;D I suppose when talking to your missus you are giving her loads about how busy you are etc...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 05, 2014, 01:16:41 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2014, 10:49:21 AM

The term "like a pig in shite" springs to mind  ;D I suppose when talking to your missus you are giving her loads about how busy you are etc...

To be brutally honest I'm studying my fecking ass off!!! Lessons start at 9 finish at 6.30pm then I do some revision head out meal, 3/4 pints and back to hotel and re do my notes or go over them again for a morning test !!!

But yeah I am telling her its a lot harder than it really is. Axe or double ale is seriously strong
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: deiseach on November 05, 2014, 09:44:29 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 04, 2014, 08:55:27 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 04, 2014, 10:25:33 AM
My dad asked me the other day whether my son would be found wearing a poppy. I couldn't give him an answer. I know it's important to my wife but . . . I think I'll be kicking that can down the road.
If he is brought up in England then why not? Different here in the north where it is misused by our PUL fellow countrymen.

He is being brought up in Ireland.
It is possible to remember the war dead AND wear a poppy. Buying and wearing a poppy imo is not tacit approval of war (illegal or otherwise), in the same way that visiting Dubai is not tacit approval of the slave-like conditions of the workers involved in building your 5 star hotel, buying a cheap t-shirt undoubtedly manufactured in a sweatshop in SE Asia is not... etc. etc.

deiseach

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 05, 2014, 01:20:55 PM
It is possible to remember the war dead AND wear a poppy. Buying and wearing a poppy imo is not tacit approval of war (illegal or otherwise), in the same way that visiting Dubai is not tacit approval of the slave-like conditions of the workers involved in building your 5 star hotel, buying a cheap t-shirt undoubtedly manufactured in a sweatshop in SE Asia is not... etc. etc.

I'm sure you're right on an intellectual level, just as I could justify donning a Tipperary fleece if I was freezing cold. But on an emotional level I'd be thinking that there must be some other way to keep warm.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: deiseach on November 05, 2014, 01:35:55 PM

I'm sure you're right on an intellectual level, just as I could justify donning a Tipperary fleece if I was freezing cold. But on an emotional level I'd be thinking that there must be some other way to keep warm.
I'm in the same boat as yourself re. marital background and I have no issue with the children supporting a poppy appeal as long as I have set them straight on what it really means and they agree to not wear it in public  ;D. I wouldn't miss the poppy if it never existed but I don't get my knickers in a twist over it either. I do however get annoyed when some unionist/loyalist no mark is attempting to use it to antagonise the other side.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 05, 2014, 01:42:24 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 05, 2014, 01:35:55 PM

I'm in the same boat as yourself re. marital background and I have no issue with the children supporting a poppy appeal as long as I have set them straight on what it really means and they agree to not wear it in public  ;D. I wouldn't miss the poppy if it never existed but I don't get my knickers in a twist over it either. I do however get annoyed when some unionist/loyalist no mark is attempting to use it to antagonise the other side.

As i am sure the Unionists get annoyed and antagonised by the wearing of the Easter lily. People can find offence with almost anything, if they are so inclined...

deiseach

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on November 05, 2014, 02:22:03 PM
As i am sure the Unionists get annoyed and antagonised by the wearing of the Easter lily. People can find offence with almost anything, if they are so inclined...

The only thing that bugs me about the poppy is its ubiquity on British television. Every year someone in the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and Sky is deputised to ensure that every broadcast has someone who will affix a poppy to the lapel of every presenter and every guest for at at least two weeks before Remembrance Day. There must be an army of people responsible for this, and I have an image of dancers from eastern Europe on Strictly Come Dancing doing a double-take as this is done without their permission. If the same Stepford behavior were exhibited by RTÉ with regards to any symbol, that would get on my wick too.

BennyCake

The BBC, in particular, should not show any favour to one charity over another (the Poppy thing is a charity after all). It should be a neutral organisation with no emblems.

JimStynes

Working in an integrated school at the minute and the staff are wearing them. They even have children going around selling them! I have told all the children in my class that they're not allowed them on during the school day and they can only put them when they leave the school. The children don't even know what they are for ffs. They think they're 'little flower things.' I am waiting to be called into the office with complaints made about it but I honestly couldn't give a shit. It's a disgrace that they have any badges or things like poppies in school at all!