Connacht SFC 2020

Started by Rossfan, October 26, 2020, 01:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Pj isn't usually one for dummy teams.
I can only assume O Donnell, Steede and Varley are injured if they are not starting.
Duane at number 6 fills me with trepidation. Imo it's too soon for Paul Kelly - he's not ready for this level just yet. Dessie for me also is just too small and lacking in power for senior county.
You have to be very good if you're that light in the current county game.
That's my opinion on it anyway. Would be delighted to be totally wrong on all
Counts

UpMeeyo

Is molloy gone off the boil altogether?
Came on that day in Limerick and made KW look a fool for not starting him.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: galwayman on November 13, 2020, 06:07:32 PM
Duane at number 6 fills me with trepidation.

I'm fairness I'd be in total agreement there, you could be nothing but concerned over the CHB position.
Way too many questions over that team due to absences and the key players that are out of form now but look hopefully they come out with a big performance and the young Moycullen bolters do damage.
Big day for the likes of Daly and Silke, past time for them to step up and deliver meaningfully in a massive match for the county.

Quote from: UpMeeyo on November 13, 2020, 06:31:40 PM
Is molloy gone off the boil altogether?
Came on that day in Limerick and made KW look a fool for not starting him.

Wasn't in form during the Galway club championship anyway, he's on the panel but hasn't played this year iirc.

Blowitupref

A lot of change for both teams from last years round 4 tie in Limerick.

David Clarke; Keith Higgins, Chris Barrett, Brendan Harrison; Colm Boyle, Patrick Durcan, Donal Vaughan; Stephen Coen, Aidan O'Shea; Fionn McDonagh, Kevin McLoughlin, Jason Doherty; James Carr, Darren Coen, Cillian O'Connor.

GALWAY: Bernard Power; Eoghan Kerin, Declan Kyne, Liam Silke; Gary O'Donnell, John Daly, Seán Kelly; Cillian McDaid, Peter Cooke; Johnny Heaney, Shane Walsh, Michael Daly; Martin Farragher, Ian Burke, Eamonn Brannigan
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Manning18

I can only assume O Donnell, Steede and Varley are injured if they are not starting.
Duane at number 6 fills me with trepidation. Imo it's too soon for Paul Kelly - he's not ready for this level just yet. Dessie for me also is just too small and lacking in power for senior county.
Counts

I agree with the vast majority of that. Connelly must have continued his championship form into training to warrant inclusion having never started before, so i'm more ok with those than the others. Duane won't let you down but it's not the solution unfortunately. Haven't had the impression yet that the kid Kelly is ready, talent though he is. Would've preferred Tierney if you wanted an u20 bolter.  Ive a feeling we'll see Sice early in the second.

galwayman

Quote from: Manning18 on November 13, 2020, 06:47:57 PM
Counts

I agree with the vast majority of that. Connelly must have continued his championship form into training to warrant inclusion having never started before, so i'm more ok with those than the others. Duane won't let you down but it's not the solution unfortunately. Haven't had the impression yet that the kid Kelly is ready, talent though he is. Would've preferred Tierney if you wanted an u20 bolter.  Ive a feeling we'll see Sice early in the second.
I think Tierney is carrying an injury which will have hindered his chances. He also lacks pace so that would have counted against him.
Cathal Sweeney was the u20 bolter for me if anyone was to be.
The problem with Duane is he is very slow so anyone that runs at him at all has him in real bother as he can be burned.

ballinaman

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GaillimhIarthair

Best of luck to our lads tomorrow.  It's a lesser team without the likes of Daly, Comer and a not fully fit Steede but I'm a little more optimistic than some of the Galway lads here!  Whether right or wrong, I put little stock into that league result in Tuam as there were a lot of injuries and Covid related absentees - it will have zero bearing on tomorrow IMO.
Hopefully we will be good enough to get close to parity around the middle third, really test that Mayo FB line regularly,  pressurise Clarke's KO's and see where that takes us.  Let's hope the weather in Salthill is half decent and contributes to a great Conn Final.

Lar Naparka

i expect a good, hard game, no place for quitters but I can't see other than a solid Mayo victory.
I'd say anywhere between 3 and 5 points would do me fine but if the margin is any less or if Mayo don't win it could well be because of Mayo's trademark habit of roaring into a commanding lead and then losing the plot.

I'd love to say I don't fear Galway but I really do. I've left Tuam or Castlebar with my dreams broken and my spirits somewhere south of my arse so many times I've lost count. I always dreaded the last five minutes, especially so if Mayo happened to be in the lead or in contention. The Mayo support would grow quiet and the tension would be palpable. You knew, you just knew, the heron chokers were not finished and, more often than not, they weren't.
Mind you, there were far tooo many times when the end result wasn't in doubt by the half time whistle.
While I was growing up, and my nearest and dearest tells me I haven't finished the process yet, Galway had the Indian sign on Mayo.
Some of the more, ahem, mature posters here, maybe Larry or moysider, will remember the perceived wisdom that Mayo would need to be at least three points better than Galway if they were to have a hope of winning. Our woolly neighbours to the east fared out even worse. They'd need to be at least five points better if they were to have a hope of beating Galway.
Those days have long gone. I would say that the arrival of John Maughan in the mid-90s brought an end to the county's self-serving inferiority complex. I'd get the feeling that the majority of Mayo players were just as anxious as most of the supporters to get back to the hay or the turf before the weather broke.
James Horan took up the good work and we've never looked back. It has taken blood, sweat and tears from players who didn't know the meaning of defeat. something that couldn't be said of many wore wore the green and red in previous decades.
Now, I feel quite satisfied with the progress Mayo are making this year. No ingrained inferiority to be seen and no wild euphoria either. I think the arrival of Ciaran Mac on the scene has been the catalyst that re-awakened the sense of purpose that has been lacking in recent years.
Maybe Mayo are yet a year or two short of their undoubted potential but they are heading in the right direction. I fully expect them to toss their AI credentials into the mix tomorrow afternoon.

It would be very foolish to take Galway for granted- as we've found to our cost far too many times but if we don't take the game by the scruff of the neck and maintain the grip from throw-in to the long whistle, Dessie Farrell, Declan Bonner and various other worthies will breathe a little easier.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Best of luck to the Mayo lads later today. We all know the league game of 5 weeks ago will have no bearing whatsoever on today's game. As previous Galway posters have alluded to, it's the middle third of the pitch that will more than likely be the winning and losing of the match. Hopefully Mayo can win both. Up Mayo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

cornetto

Is it possible to put a pic of the programme teams on here?
I'm really looking for a "tech" class on how to do it.😁

macdanger2

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on November 13, 2020, 05:44:41 PM
Galway team to play Mayo on Sunday

1 Bernard Power
2 Seán Kelly
3 Seán Mulkerrin
4 Johnny Heaney
5 Liam Silke
6 Johnny Duane
7 Cillian McDaid
8 Cein D'Arcy
9 Tom Flynn
10 Paul Kelly
11 Paul Conroy
12 Michael Daly
13 Ian Burke
14 Shane Walsh
15 Dessie Conneely

Don't know will that team start but we'll see.

7 changes for Galway from the league game (Daly didn't start but he came on for Comer) whereas we have only 2 changes I think - Barrett for McBrien and McLoughlin for McDonagh.

I expect Galway to be much better than they were in Tuam and that game will be serious motivation for them. I'm hopeful we'll win by a point or two but I wouldn't be surprised if we lose by 1 or 2

cornetto

Galway subs as per programme
Gleeson
Bradshaw
Steede
O curraoin
Finnerty
Leonard
Costello
O Donnell
Sice
C.sweeney