Connacht SFC 2020

Started by Rossfan, October 26, 2020, 01:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 08, 2020, 10:35:15 PM
Quote from: galwayman on November 08, 2020, 05:42:14 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 08, 2020, 04:28:55 PM
That's the worst I've see the Rossies play in a long time. No game plan at all, we had it all our own way. Wouldn't read too much into it

Don't believe missing the Sligo game will make one difference to Galway. It's an advantage if anything, chance to rectify the shambles that was Tuam
Seriously have you played championship football before - at club level I mean?
Going into a game cold is absolutely of zero benefit.
I'd much prefer to play three weeks on the bounce if I was a player

Not sure what me playing championship football has to do with it

It will suit Galway a lot better to be planning for Mayo for three weeks rather than having to deal with little more than a challenge match against Sligo

And FWIW I've a senior county and provincial club medal  8)

There's a guy in my club has one, worst footballer ever!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

moysider

Quote from: larryin89 on November 08, 2020, 08:17:29 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on November 08, 2020, 08:04:46 PM
Winter football in the wind and rain suits a team like Mayo down to the ground. Things are poised perfectly for them to win the big one this year.

Why so ?

Don't be taking the f**king bait Lar.

Blowitupref

Quote from: galwayman on November 08, 2020, 07:33:42 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on November 08, 2020, 07:16:25 PM
Quote from: weareros on November 08, 2020, 05:51:12 PM
Congrats to Mayo. Best team from the throw-in, where we began with a foolish foul. A few things bothered me. Anyone who knows the wind patterns of the Hyde know it normally blows into graveyard end, so deciding to play against it when it was blowing into town end was high risk. No surprise it died down and advantage was lost. We would still have lost as Mayo were playing at higher pitch and intensity. Then at half time Cunningham should have changed to a 3 man full forward line of Murtagh, Lennon and Smith, but persisted with Cox double marked who simply does not have pace or skill to deal with that attention. He should have pulled Enda out to midfield as Durcan was winning that battle and winning it well, and brought Ciaran Murtagh into half forwards. Instead he brought Diarmuid on for 10 mins at end. I do think the majority not having played much since Armagh game due to Covid interruption was somewhat responsible for flatness. Well done to Mayo. They should go on to win Connacht and have every chance of being in an All-Ireland final again. Still very thankful to team  and management for earning promotion.

I'd say 90% of the time if there's a wind in the first half it nearly always dies away by the time the second half begins, especially if the pitch isn't a sea-side pitch.
I'd love to hear Cunningham's reasoning for playing against the wind after winning the toss.

The flatness by Roscommon was unreal.
Was close enough to challenge match intensity by them.
It's one thing that absolutely infuriates me about the Galway team - how they are so hot and cold in terms of being "up" for games in terms of the intensity with which they play.
In fairness to Mayo they rarely are found wanting in that department.

Would probably be under John O'Mahony since Mayo didn't bring the required intensity to a championship match.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Quote from: moysider on October 27, 2020, 12:03:58 AM
Quote from: weareros on October 26, 2020, 05:54:46 PM
This will be a poor mouthing thread, if you ever saw one. That said whoever wins Connacht won't be within 10 points of Kerry.

If they are not they should go to bed for themselves. Kerry nothing special.

Good call.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

gortnaleck

That second string the Rossies had out against Cavan should have started today.Felt sorry for Donie Smith when he was subbed.That prob hurt.
Mayo looking good

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 08, 2020, 10:39:03 PM
That's the worst I've see the Rossies play in a long time. No game plan at all, we had it all our own way. Wouldn't read too much into it

Don't believe missing the Sligo game will make one difference to Galway. It's an advantage if anything, chance to rectify the shambles that was Tuam

It will suit Galway a lot better to be planning for Mayo for three weeks rather than having to deal with little more than a challenge match against Sligo

It was more that this galway lad seems to think I need one to have a valid opinion
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

galwayman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 09, 2020, 08:34:09 AM

It was more that this galway lad seems to think I need one to have a valid opinion
Not what I meant at all - didn't mean it to come across that way.
Each to their own but genuinely as a player I would have fancied my teams chances a lot less going into a game with no meaningful preparation.
We would have beaten Sligo I have no doubt but we would at least have had a game to blow off some more cobwebs.
It does make a difference in terms of match fitness and sharpness.
No amount of A v B training games can replicate it.

Tubberman

Quote from: galwayman on November 09, 2020, 10:04:11 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 09, 2020, 08:34:09 AM

Not what I meant at all - didn't mean it to come across that way.
Each to their own but genuinely as a player I would have fancied my teams chances a lot less going into a game with no meaningful preparation.
We would have beaten Sligo I have no doubt but we would at least have had a game to blow off some more cobwebs.
It does make a difference in terms of match fitness and sharpness.
No amount of A v B training games can replicate it.

Mayo had no prep before league game in Tuam and they were flying - because they had ovviously targeted that game.
Galway are doing lilewise for Sunday's game.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

MayoBuck

This will be our 5th weekend on the spin as well. Whatever about Galway being cold, that's not ideal preparation either.

An Fhairche Abu

Mayo having meaningful matches is a plus for them I think anyway, alright to say that you are targeting a game but Galway players don't know where they are at really with training games, no chance to even offset slightly with a challenge match in this truncated knockout football championship where half the teams are gone already.

Realistically if you had offered either team at the start of the year a path of each other in a knockout game and then Cork/Tipp in an All Ireland semi-final they would have taken your hand off, very realistic chance to get to an All Ireland final now (regardless whether it's only just to be a punchbag for the Dubs once you get there), Kerry got caught yesterday but on a normal day they are better than Cork/Tipp, even playing terrible they still should have won.

James Horan has been there and done it in terms of getting Mayo to All Ireland finals before, have no doubt that Mayo will be in great shape next Sunday to win, key players like COC are playing a lot better now than in the last couple of years.
Galway will need to come with a massive performance to match them, form isn't great at the minute so supporters are left hoping that a different Galway shows up from what we've seen since football resumed. Joyce first year in as a manager so unproven in Championship and nothing to go on there, he was schooled in the U20 semi-final last year and flattened by Mayo only weeks ago but might be no harm in the long run to have had those setbacks.

At the minute head says Mayo due to the form lines and the key players that are missing for Galway but by the time 1pm rolls around on Sunday I'm sure the logical analysis will be out the window in favour of following the heart!!!

macdanger2

Galway will surely be up for this after the clipping they got in Tuam, I'd expect them to tear into us from the start. Even in the game in Tuam, they had a couple of goal chances that they missed - one that Silke put over and two instances where they had men over and Keegan & COC made a last minute intercept; if 1/2 of those go in and they don't gift us a goal, it's a much tighter game.

Galway will have a couple of players back too which will improve them, esp at FB. 5th week on the trot for us but 3 of those 4 have been wins and we haven't really picked up any injuries. Galway on the other hand have had 3 weeks to prepare

Bookies have it pretty even:

Mayo 10/11
Galway 11/10
Draw 15/2

omagh_gael

If I was a betting man i'd (honestly) stick 20 on Mayo for Sam this year.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: omagh_gael on November 09, 2020, 11:21:16 AM
If I was a betting man i'd (honestly) stick 20 on Mayo for Sam this year.

Backed them at 20-1, into 6-1 now, still decent odds, as are Galway

I think if Comer was fit we'd be talking completely differently about this game

Cunny Funt

Quote from: gortnaleck on November 09, 2020, 03:35:14 AM
That second string the Rossies had out against Cavan should have started today.Felt sorry for Donie Smith when he was subbed.That prob hurt.
Mayo looking good

8 of yesterdays team started against Cavan. The 7 brought back in after self isolating for 2 weeks were a mile off the pace of the game. As I said before the match the Covid issues within the panel was far from ideal preparation for a high stakes knock out championship game and so it proved.

Mayo4Sam

I wonder where Syferus is these days?