NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Our win over Dublin won't be important come the real stuff in the summer. However, the talk of Dublin coasting and not too bothered about the league doesn't sit with me. I might be wrong but Gavin strikes me as a man that hates to lose. He rolls out the usual platitudes in interviews but I'd be pretty certain he'd have been seriously gunning to get back into a league final.

They're obviously still well ahead of the pack but there is evidence that the gap might not be a wide as I would have thought at the beginning of the year.

Fuzzman

Gas reading the Mayo lads warning us not to get too caried away in case we think we're getting ideas about ourselves again.
For me, the main thing is to challenge Dublin to make them start having a few doubts and question themselves. They are so used to scoring a goal and they then just play with swagger. Their fans were getting a bit annoyed with the ref which they're not used to.
Funny watching J. Cantwell picking up Brolly on his choice of words on Morgan.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 18, 2019, 01:54:34 PM
Gas reading the Mayo lads warning us not to get too caried away in case we think we're getting ideas about ourselves again.
For me, the main thing is to challenge Dublin to make them start having a few doubts and question themselves. They are so used to scoring a goal and they then just play with swagger. Their fans were getting a bit annoyed with the ref which they're not used to.
Funny watching J. Cantwell picking up Brolly on his choice of words on Morgan.

The league means nothing! And I include the tanking Tyrone got from Mayo in Omagh a few weeks ago.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 18, 2019, 01:54:34 PM
Care to point out which ones?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 18, 2019, 09:41:09 AM
Our win over Dublin won't be important come the real stuff in the summer. However, the talk of Dublin coasting and not too bothered about the league doesn't sit with me. I might be wrong but Gavin strikes me as a man that hates to lose. He rolls out the usual platitudes in interviews but I'd be pretty certain he'd have been seriously gunning to get back into a league final.

They're obviously still well ahead of the pack but there is evidence that the gap might not be a wide as I would have thought at the beginning of the year.

That was the most emotion i have seen him show in any after match interview, he looked furious as he remarked about the low level performance Dublin produced on Saturday night and seeing that he is a ruthless manager i wouldn't be surprised if a few high profile players are dropped to the bench for while.

seafoid

Tyrone v Galway should be a good match . All to
play for. Will any of the Corofin contingent be available?

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 18, 2019, 02:32:44 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on March 18, 2019, 09:41:09 AM

That was the most emotion i have seen him show in any after match interview, he looked furious as he remarked about the low level performance Dublin produced on Saturday night and seeing that he is a ruthless manager i wouldn't be surprised if a few high profile players are dropped to the bench for while.

Agree. Football's equivalent to Brian Cody.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyHarp

Quote from: seafoid on March 18, 2019, 04:19:25 PM
Tyrone v Galway should be a good match . All to
play for. Will any of the Corofin contingent be available?

Will Galway be actively trying to win this one or strategically is it better for them to lose like the Monaghan super 8 game last year? It's hard to know with Galway!  ::)
That was never a square ball!!

Wildweasel74

U got a Galway club team playing great attacking fball,  playing to their strengths. With the fball ability available to Kevin Walsh should he not try to get away from that defensive shit.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 18, 2019, 06:43:24 PM
U got a Galway club team playing great attacking fball,  playing to their strengths. With the fball ability available to Kevin Walsh should he not try to get away from that defensive shit.

That's what most Galway supporters would love but really don't think it'll happen. That type of play is bred into these Corofin bucks from u-8s, I don't know how possible it would be to implement on an inter county level, it would take more than one season anyway I'd imagine. They're something else though, you could watch them all day.

An Fhairche Abu

Tyrone away was always going to be a very tough place to get a result but they are flying at the moment making it even harder, still there's a great chance to get to another league final there and at the outset of the league who would have put money on Galway being in with a shout of that going into the last round?

Duine Eile

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 18, 2019, 08:40:25 PM
Tyrone away was always going to be a very tough place to get a result but they are flying at the moment making it even harder, still there's a great chance to get to another league final there and at the outset of the league who would have put money on Galway being in with a shout of that going into the last round?

Certainly not me, they've done really well in the circumstances in fairness to them. Be interesting to see how many or will any of the Corofin boys be togged next weekend, I think Jason Leonard could be a real addition to the panel. He's a real unsung hero of that Corofin team.

galwayman

Quote from: Duine Eile on March 18, 2019, 09:04:50 PM

Certainly not me, they've done really well in the circumstances in fairness to them. Be interesting to see how many or will any of the Corofin boys be togged next weekend, I think Jason Leonard could be a real addition to the panel. He's a real unsung hero of that Corofin team.
I think (but am not 100% sure) he was in around the county setup at the start of the FBD although didn't get any game time.
He looks a decent player.
His sister is the star forward on the Galway ladies team

Duine Eile

He played a couple of challenges I think but didn't hear anything about how he got on. Powers kick outs yesterday were immense, he really gave an exhibition but still dont think he'll get the nod ahead of Lavelle, he's a real victim of the club and county clash during the league. It's a pity he didn't get a run in a couple of the games Ian and Liam played.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Duine Eile on March 18, 2019, 09:04:50 PM

Doubtful that any of the Corofin lads will be available for next week, they are entitled to celebrate and given that it's not do or die in terms of staying up I don't know that there's any need to push them to get back for it. That said I would not have expected any of them to feature in the league at all this year and they did so we'll see.
Ian Burke and Liam Silke will start in the summer but Molloy simply has to be given a shot at the 5 jersey, he is absolute quality and I'll be shocked if he's not up to that top inter county standard. I would love to see Daithi Burke in there as well but he'll stick to the small ball unfortunately. Outside of Power who'll be the sub goalie I don't know if there will be anyone else in there, due to their extended club runs the likes of Leonard and Wall don't get the chance to impress in the league that someone else such as Ó Laoí has taken with both hands.

Corofin are an amazing club team, the best I've seen but it's still a big leap from club to county, there's a lot of wild talk about at the minute, I had to listen to someone in CP yesterday who assured all around him that Corofin would beat the county team, with all due respect to that opinion, in a hypothetical game that actually mattered, assuming all played to form, there's not a notion of it.