Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Was going to do it and realised you pay your 35 quid regardless you get selected or not!! That's a serious money maker.... Will probably do Dublin
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CD

Filled her in myself! Dublin is the target too - aiming for Ards or Achill half in late June as a wee marker to see how this ankle will stand up! Ran to park run on Saturday and totalled 11 miles with no ill effects so looking ok so far!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

imtommygunn

Yeah just did that ballot too. Would only do a marathon if i got in a big one.

Good luck ct. let us know what it was like. Suspect you're hurting by now. Thought the yank would challenge the africans but seems not. Mcginley winning local easy but not going to break 2:20 unfortunately.

CD

Kipsang went past on wheels. Must be a nice finish all downhill on the ravenhill. Can't believe how comfortable the sub 3.45 runners are looking. The vast majority are looking really strong. The only guy I saw dying was the first 3.15 pacer!

magpie seanie

Advice needed! My 5k pace is 25 mins. Articles I have read suggest that my long, slow run pace should be 65% of my 5k pace. By my calc that's over 12 min/mile pace - considerably slower than I'm doing them at (10:00 to 10:20). Generally I feel ok at that pace bar maybe the last mile or two. Did over 7 yesterday and did feel tired towards the end.

So am I doing my LSR at too quick a pace? Confused.

Milltown Row2

Was a decent day for it but there was strong winds for large parts of it.... Seen the winner cross the line he looked fresh!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 04, 2015, 01:21:09 PM
Advice needed! My 5k pace is 25 mins. Articles I have read suggest that my long, slow run pace should be 65% of my 5k pace. By my calc that's over 12 min/mile pace - considerably slower than I'm doing them at (10:00 to 10:20). Generally I feel ok at that pace bar maybe the last mile or two. Did over 7 yesterday and did feel tired towards the end.

So am I doing my LSR at too quick a pace? Confused.
25 mins for 5K is 8.03 average.
I'd maybe drop your LSR runs by a shade, even to 10.45s....as Bingo said...have them as an "over the hedge run"...Comfortable, well able to talk and look around...all about building aerobic capacity.

Your lactate threshold would be around 8mins30secs per mile going on your 5K pace. This would be your "tempo pace". You're working hard but not flat out.

Your intervals pace would be faster than 8.03...a good bit faster depending on what distance you are doing...400 repeats...800 repeats ect.

Good training week would be
LSR of 7-10 miles at 10.45s...
Tempo session of 1 mile easy warm up...2-3 miles at 8.30 pace....1 mile warm down
Intervals...1 mile warm up...short repeats or 1 min hard/ 1 min easy x 5-8 reps....1 mile warm down
1 or 2 recovery runs..3-4 miles

charlieTully

well lads, I managed to get round it somehow, not quite the time I had hoped, got 4.46. i found it tough going, was sorely tempted to quit on the antrim road, but the thought of going into work and coming on here saying Id quit gave me the motivation to continue. Thanks for all the advice and words of support,its amazing how it actually helps on the day. special thank you to ballinaman for the pms on stretching advice etc, invaluable.

ballinaman

Quote from: charlieTully on May 04, 2015, 04:07:04 PM
well lads, I managed to get round it somehow, not quite the time I had hoped, got 4.46. i found it tough going, was sorely tempted to quit on the antrim road, but the thought of going into work and coming on here saying Id quit gave me the motivation to continue. Thanks for all the advice and words of support,its amazing how it actually helps on the day. special thank you to ballinaman for the pms on stretching advice etc, invaluable.
Mighty, congrats chief!
If they were easy..everyone would do it.
Job done, can't be taken away from you now!

laoislad

Brilliant delighted for you!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

CD

Fantastic CT! Many congratulations - some achievement!

magpie seanie

Thanks Ballinaman. I am a numbers guy generally and often I don't trust how I feel....just think the lazy f**ker in me is getting the upper hand so I tend to fight it. Not always the best idea. You've confirmed some stuff I suspected and simply seeing it written down has a big impact on my following through funnily enough. Still don't underdtand the calculations and as I say I am a number freak but anyway!

Congrats Charlie on a brilliant achievement. I hope some day to attempt to join that exclusive club you have just joined. Well done.

annapr

Well done Charles. You are now a member of the 1% club!

imtommygunn

Great stuff. Well done ct.

Rois

Well done Charlie, super achievement.