Westmeath v Antrim

Round 5
9 June 2018
Meath v Laois
Carlow v Westmeath
Antrim v Kerry

Final
1 July 2018 at Croke Park

I had to hunt around a bit to find these fixtures. Please correct any mistakes.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

redsetanta

Laois should be favourites but there will be stiff competition from Antrim and Carlow.

A great reward for the top two getting to play the final in Croke Park on Leinster final day. None of the current Laois panel have played a senior hurling game in Croke Park so they are very determined to get there.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

seafoid

Antrim could be dark horses and they have been known to bate fancied Leinster opposition in CP.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

playwiththewind1st

I have this recurring dream, that I was at an All-Ireland semi final in 1989 that Antrim won & that I was at an All-Ireland final with Antrim appearing in it shortly after. Just shows you how far backwards we have gone that we are talking about the Joe McDonagh Cup nowadays.

playwiththewind1st

Milltown Row was at those games.....he will give us a rundown.

manfromdelmonte

imtommygunn

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on March 29, 2018, 08:48:33 PM
I have this recurring dream, that I was at an All-Ireland semi final in 1989 that Antrim won & that I was at an All-Ireland final with Antrim appearing in it shortly after. Just shows you how far backwards we have gone that we are talking about the Joe McDonagh Cup nowadays.

1st ever game at croke was that offaly game. It's been a bit downhill since then!

Didn't realise westmeath beat carlow in carlow. Looking at it i think this competition is very tough to call. I saw laois once and wasn't that convinced by them so even though highest status maybe nit best team. Should be interesting. I think it should produce some good matches. The christy ring could be very one sided at times so this is a definite improvement.

Milltown Row2

This is s very competitive competition... most teams will fancy themselves here.. Antrim need to put the effort in from the get go, they've no right to win these second tier competitions and have been found out by all of these teams recently!

As for days out in Croke I think the Dublin game was the last time I was watching Antrim in Croke. Stuffed if memory serves me right
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Ah yes how could i forget about the dublin game.

Owenmoresider

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

slippery dodger

Antrim having Carlow and Laois at home will be a big plus for them. Will the final be televised? I think that TG4 would be willing to cover one of these games a week if given the chance. You could have a weekly game at 3pm on a Saturday for example so as not to clash with any RTE or Sky Sports games. The players deserve a national spotlight and the GAA will want to push this comp more than the Christy Ring

Unlaoised

Quote from: slippery dodger on April 01, 2018, 02:23:10 PM
Antrim having Carlow and Laois at home will be a big plus for them. Will the final be televised? I think that TG4 would be willing to cover one of these games a week if given the chance. You could have a weekly game at 3pm on a Saturday for example so as not to clash with any RTE or Sky Sports games. The players deserve a national spotlight and the GAA will want to push this comp more than the Christy Ring

Antrim have to be favourites the way the fixtures worked out....

Carlow and Laois will also fancy it ...

Meath will be the whipping boys I think!
LAOIS ABÚ