The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

It's amazing to think Liverpool have only won one and a half leagues since then *

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Boycey on May 25, 2020, 11:56:02 PM
It's amazing to think Liverpool have only won one and a half leagues since then *

The Gooners will have their thread up tomorrow remembering this night. The miracle of Anfield
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

I remember flying back home on the night of the 2005 CL final. Remember a wee TV in the waiting area, could hardly see anything, but at half time it was 3-0 and I thought, well I suppose I won't miss much in the second half while I'm in the air. Match as good as over.

Landed, and made it home avoiding final score. Knew the full match was on again later that night so thought, I'll stay up and catch the goals. Got into bed, and watched it get back to 3-3. Thought Liverpool were in the ascendancy and might win it, as plenty of time left. But once Dudek made that double save in ET, I says 'name on the trophy'. I just knew they weren't going to lose it.

Heard it said recently Milan better team most of the match. Liverpool were the best team for 6 minutes. But those 6 minutes were enough to win it. Can't remember if that was the case, but they won it anyway. Fair fucks, it's all about winning, no matter how it's done.

Capt Pat

That Milan team was some team as well a team of superstars at their peak with their only weak link being maybe the goalie Dida. How we got through it I don't know.

Did anyone else ever notice when rewatching it an ambulance going past behind the goals when Milan were taking one of their penalties?

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 26, 2020, 04:39:57 AM
That Milan team was some team as well a team of superstars at their peak with their only weak link being maybe the goalie Dida. How we got through it I don't know.

Did anyone else ever notice when rewatching it an ambulance going past behind the goals when Milan were taking one of their penalties?

No kidding

imtommygunn

Is the guy front right Cafu? That is some team of superstars alright.

laoislad

Yeah but we had Djimi Traore.....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BennyCake

The Guardian's Football Weekly podcast covered this final recently. Good listen, even for non Liverpool fans.

Boycey

Liverpool were lucky to win that final but were far the better team in the final they lost two years later. As Greavsie used to say footballs a funny old game...

screenexile

I remember thinking Crespo's goal was a thing of beauty the touch and turn by Kaka and the absolutely inch perfect pass so close Carragher probably felt he had it and then the sublime finish I think it's one of the all time great cup final goals!!

shark

Quote from: Boycey on May 26, 2020, 09:31:54 AM
Liverpool were lucky to win that final but were far the better team in the final they lost two years later. As Greavsie used to say footballs a funny old game...

And Milan were a poorer team at that stage. They were in year 2 of Inter Milan's 5 in a row league titles.

supersub

Quote from: Boycey on May 26, 2020, 09:31:54 AM

You need an element of luck to win most competitions. You will know that no more so than from 99 CL Final. However coming from 3-0 down to level 3-3 requires a lot more than luck. There were lucky moments, or moments of players doing their job at the right time. You could say Gerard's goal v Olympiakos in Dec 04 en route to the final was lucky, or a stroke of genius. Either way, it ended up being the 5th of 6, and counting.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: screenexile on May 26, 2020, 09:47:21 AM
I remember thinking Crespo's goal was a thing of beauty the touch and turn by Kaka and the absolutely inch perfect pass so close Carragher probably felt he had it and then the sublime finish I think it's one of the all time great cup final goals!!
Its a wonderful goal.
I remember it going in and thinking, 'this team are on a different level'
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 25, 2020, 11:11:56 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 25, 2020, 10:43:40 PM
I remember THIS place the night of the match.

Certain United fans, most still with us, were a wee bit upset and bitter, to say the least! ;D

Was it on the last 'board'?

Yes. I think they moved the board a year or two after.

J70

Quote from: BennyCake on May 26, 2020, 12:08:19 AM
I remember flying back home on the night of the 2005 CL final. Remember a wee TV in the waiting area, could hardly see anything, but at half time it was 3-0 and I thought, well I suppose I won't miss much in the second half while I'm in the air. Match as good as over.

Landed, and made it home avoiding final score. Knew the full match was on again later that night so thought, I'll stay up and catch the goals. Got into bed, and watched it get back to 3-3. Thought Liverpool were in the ascendancy and might win it, as plenty of time left. But once Dudek made that double save in ET, I says 'name on the trophy'. I just knew they weren't going to lose it.

Heard it said recently Milan better team most of the match. Liverpool were the best team for 6 minutes. But those 6 minutes were enough to win it. Can't remember if that was the case, but they won it anyway. Fair fucks, it's all about winning, no matter how it's done.

Milan were the better team overall. Hardly surprising when you look at the two line-ups. Milan were arguably the best team in the world at that time. Liverpool had Djmi Traore on the field, with Smicer, Igor Biscan and Nunez on the bench and Liverpool raggedly filling holes where they could in extra time. But Milan took their eye off the ball and were all over the shop for that period. That, along with Benitez correcting his first half tactical error in leaving out Hamann and allowing Kaka and Pirlo the freedom of midfield.