1st news story you remember from tv as a child.

Started by Boycey, November 27, 2017, 05:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 30, 2017, 09:36:42 PM
Quote from: OakleafCounty on November 30, 2017, 09:52:30 AM
If the world cup in 1990 doesn't count the it was the outbreak of the first Gulf War. I think I was 6 or 7. Locally it was the Shankhill bomb and a picture of a wee girl that was murdered in it has never left me. Then a week later the Rising Sun shooting which my mum grew up beside and knew five of the people murdered.

In my day "the Gulf war" was the Iran-Iraq war. When Desert Storm started people were calling it the "second Gulf War." Shame how the Iran-Iraq war seems to have disappeared from memory.

Not from memory, just erased by US from normal discourse for political convenience given its backing of one side in this proxy war and to enhance the importance of the wars that it fought openly with ground troops.

johnneycool

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on December 01, 2017, 09:38:25 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 30, 2017, 09:36:42 PM
Quote from: OakleafCounty on November 30, 2017, 09:52:30 AM
If the world cup in 1990 doesn't count the it was the outbreak of the first Gulf War. I think I was 6 or 7. Locally it was the Shankhill bomb and a picture of a wee girl that was murdered in it has never left me. Then a week later the Rising Sun shooting which my mum grew up beside and knew five of the people murdered.

In my day "the Gulf war" was the Iran-Iraq war. When Desert Storm started people were calling it the "second Gulf War." Shame how the Iran-Iraq war seems to have disappeared from memory.

Not from memory, just erased by US from normal discourse for political convenience given its backing of one side in this proxy war and to enhance the importance of the wars that it fought openly with ground troops.

Saddam was a great fella back then, doing the bidding of the US in trying to topple the Ayatollah Khomeini after he'd got rid of the US friendly Shah.

balladmaker

First real news story I remember was the arrival of the Vietnamese and Cambodian Boat People as they were called in Ireland in the late 70's.  I think they were fleeing their homeland and the rule of Pol Pot at the time.  I can still remember the news story that was showing the conflict in Cambodia and how it announced they were on their way to Ireland.  I remember the sudden urge to be sick as I thought the whole conflict would be coming with them.  Of course there were the daily shootings, bombings and funerals in the north which seemed normal at the time.  Was only much later when I reaslised it was far from normal.

Orior

Quote from: Orior on November 27, 2017, 08:46:32 PM
Late 1960's, there was a scandal in the british government and they mentioned the Perfumo affair with a call-girl.

I innocently asked my Dad "what's a call-girl?"

As I puzzled why all my siblings were all sniggering, my Mum answered "just someone you phone up to talk to"

Whoops. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42245839
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians