2017 AFL Season

Started by Aerlik, March 16, 2017, 03:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

Caught the second half or the Crows and Swans - great game and fair play to the Swans, though they were gone mid way through the last quarter but they rallied well late on.  Crows kicked it away really.  I seen a stat that the Swans are the first team ever to start a season 0-6 and still make the playoffs, some turnaround. 

An Astrail

So that's it for the home and away season with the top 8 settled. Melbourne fans are in shock after losing a game they should have won vs Collingwood and then seeing West Coast beat the top-placed Adelaide to steal their spot in the 8. Buddy Franklin got the Coleman Medal as top scorer for the season after getting 10 goals against Carlton. Zac Tuohy's Geelong got a home final, beating GWS Giants in the last round.

Thursday, September 7

First qualifying final
Adelaide Crows v Greater Western Sydney at Adelaide Oval, 7.20pm ACST

Friday, September 8

Second qualifying final
Geelong Cats v Richmond at the MCG, 7.50pm AEST

Saturday, September 9

Second elimination final
Sydney Swans v Essendon at SCG, 4.20pm AEST

First elimination final
Port Adelaide v West Coast Eagles at Adelaide Oval, 7.20pm ACST

JimStynes

TabClear

Quote from: JimStynes on August 28, 2017, 12:26:02 PM
Well done West Coast!

Demons must be sick. They really did not turn up against the magpies and it took big performances from WC veterans Mitchell, Priddis and Jetta to get them over the line.

Good to see Essendon in the 8 as well as to see Conor McKenna get a run in finals although they will be massive underdogs against the Swans in Sydney. albeit the bye will give them time to get a couple of players fit again. I fancy WC to beat Port in the other elimination final. Qualifying finals expect GWS and Geelong to come through.

TabClear

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on August 18, 2017, 07:19:14 PM
Caught the second half or the Crows and Swans - great game and fair play to the Swans, though they were gone mid way through the last quarter but they rallied well late on.  Crows kicked it away really.  I seen a stat that the Swans are the first team ever to start a season 0-6 and still make the playoffs, some turnaround.

You could make a pretty decent argument that they are favourites at this point in time. Buddy on fire!

The Subbie

Quote from: TabClear on August 30, 2017, 10:53:16 AM
Well done West Coast!

Demons must be sick. They really did not turn up against the magpies and it took big performances from WC veterans Mitchell, Priddis and Jetta to get them over the line.

Good to see Essendon in the 8 as well as to see Conor McKenna get a run in finals although they will be massive underdogs against the Swans in Sydney. albeit the bye will give them time to get a couple of players fit again. I fancy WC to beat Port in the other elimination final. Qualifying finals expect GWS and Geelong to come through.

Big call for GWS to beat the crows in Adelaide oval !

TabClear

Quote from: The Subbie on August 30, 2017, 12:27:32 PM
Quote from: TabClear on August 30, 2017, 10:53:16 AM
Well done West Coast!

Big call for GWS to beat the crows in Adelaide oval !

Just think the Giants are due a big performance  and the Crows have been cruising for the last couple of weeks safe that they were in the top 2. They did not have their early season intensity against WC as a result and it might be tough to turn it back on after that lull.

The Subbie

5mins left of the second 1/4 and Adelaide Crows are destroying GWS 55-11.
Eddie Betts in imperious form for the crows.
Big big 3rd 1/4 coming up

The Subbie

Crows waltz by GWS - all that could go right for them did

The Subbie

Swans destroy Essendon and West Coast Eagles get the better of Port Adelaide after coming from behind in extra time in a rip roaring game that was the pick of this weekends games.

An Astrail

Three big wins with Adelaide, Richmond and Sydney demolishing their opposition. Only the West Coast v Port Adelaide game was tight with the extra time and winner after the siren. So the Bombers and Power are done for the year and six remain.

Sydney vs Geelong on Friday night - Geelong are supposed to have the home advantage but again they're playing at the MCG. On the other hand Sydney don't always adapt well to the big oval there. Still think the Swans will have too much for the Cats. There were lot of contributors in their win over Essendon with Sinclair in particular having another strong game. Winner plays Adelaide.

GWS vs West Coast on Saturday - Giants were poor against Adelaide and I don't think they can win overall this year. Their structure is off and they are too reliant on a handful of players to step up and get the job done. That said I think they will have too much for West Coast who snuck into the finals and might well have gone out already if Port Adelaide kicked straighter. Winner plays Richmond.

An Astrail

Conor McKenna signs a new 4 year deal with Essendon - would assume a healthy upgrade involved. One of their better players on Saturday.

Also saw Colin O'Riordan and Cian Hanley going around in the NEAFL Grand Final (reserve grade in NSW, Queensland and Northern Territory). I thought O'Riordan looked solid in Sydney's back line and would be close to next cab off the rank for a place in the first team when that comes -along with Aliir Aliir. Only problem is that there aren't many obvious gaps unless injury intervenes. Hanley didn't stand out as much, but Brisbane is much more in flux so there will be chances. And he at least has the medal with Brisbane winning the game.

TabClear

Well I was well off in my predictions on GWS and Geelong! ::)

WC at the Power was a great game to watch albeit limited quality. Looked like WC had threw it away but fair play to Shuey with the winner with the last kick. Them against the GWS is a tough one to call, on paper GWS should do it but every week I am expecting their class to come through but it just has not happened for weeks.

Adelaide and Richmond were really impressive in their wins as were Sydney but with due respect to the Bombers against lesser opposition. The CAts really struggled last week and Josh Selwood looks to be carrying an injury so hard to look past Sydney in this one.

Crows and Tigers with the week off will fancy their chances. I was really impressed with Richmond and if they keep up that level of performance they could go on to win it!

The Subbie

The Swans got dicked last night by Geelong with Zac Tuohy and Harry Taylor in particular outstanding at the back for the cats
The Swans totally flopped on the night and were a beaten docket 1/2 way through the 2nd quarter.
The Cats looked very impressive with more than a few reserves stepping up and looking like they played in big games all year.

Currently watching GWS vs West Coast and it's all GWS, leading by 34-18 at the end of the 1st quarter

The Subbie

The veteran Steve Johnson played a blinder for GWS kicking 6 goals to humiliate West Coast Eagles 125-58.

It's down to 4 now with Adelaide Crows V Geelong cats in Adelaide oval next Friday then GWS v Richmond in the MCG on Sat, I think it will be a Crows V Tigers grand final but the way some games have gone this year who knows.