GAA books

Started by Jinxy, August 17, 2011, 12:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Disappointed with the f word which peppers every page of Gooch's book.This does not sound like the real Gooch,was the book ghost written?

randomusername

Quote from: T Fearon on October 06, 2017, 07:30:19 PM
Disappointed with the f word which peppers every page of Gooch's book.This does not sound like the real Gooch,was the book ghost written?

Aren't they all ghost-written?

The Gooch is probably conscious of being seen as a bit of a wet blanket maybe so is over-compensating.

tonto1888

Quote from: BennyCake on October 06, 2017, 05:14:42 PM
Finished Jim McGuinness's book. Good read.

Amazing how close he came to not going back to education and onto the path to becoming a coach. Heartbreaking too reading about his two brothers dying.

I enjoyed his book a lot.
Looking forward to Philly McMahons. When is that out

tonto1888

Quote from: randomusername on October 06, 2017, 07:35:12 PM

The Gooch is probably conscious of being seen as a bit of a wet blanket maybe so is over-compensating.

Didn't realise he had one out. Any good? Minus the swearing of course

JoG2

Quote from: BennyCake on October 06, 2017, 05:14:42 PM
Finished Jim McGuinness's book. Good read.

Amazing how close he came to not going back to education and onto the path to becoming a coach. Heartbreaking too reading about his two brothers dying.

Read it on holidays during the summer. Superb book, as is Rory Kavs

T Fearon

Tonto.Havent got it yet.Saw it in Easons Newry yesterday and did whst I usually do,ordered it online! Did read the section on AI Final.02
He gives Armagh little or no credit

Asal Mor

Quote from: randomusername on October 06, 2017, 07:35:12 PM

Think Paul Gavin wrote his own. Probably Liam Hayes too. Can't think of any others.

T Fearon

Surely the likes of O'Rourke wrote his? I just never associated the Gooch with that sort of language (I have never seen the word used as much) or being an unsporting loser,which comes across.

Most County players nowadays are very well educated and should not need ghostwriters.

The Subbie

Quote from: T Fearon on October 06, 2017, 11:37:43 PM
Surely the likes of O'Rourke wrote his? I just never associated the Gooch with that sort of language (I have never seen the word used as much) or being an unsporting loser,which comes across.

Most County players nowadays are very well educated and should not need ghostwriters.

Tony , why did you not think that the gooch would not use bad language ?
Surely you are not the hat innocent to believe that the earnest young man you see in print and on the Sunday game discussing matches is like that all the time ?

He is human like everyone else and has his faults like everyone else, he swears like everyone else does or doesn't sometimes.

Different strokes etc etc

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on October 06, 2017, 10:23:46 PM
Tonto.Havent got it yet.Saw it in Easons Newry yesterday and did whst I usually do,ordered it online! Did read the section on AI Final.02
He gives Armagh little or no credit

Sure Armagh didn't win that AI. Kerry lost it  ::)

BennyCake

Quote from: The Subbie on October 06, 2017, 11:56:39 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on October 06, 2017, 11:37:43 PM

Tony , why did you not think that the gooch would not use bad language ?
Surely you are not the hat innocent to believe that the earnest young man you see in print and on the Sunday game discussing matches is like that all the time ?

He is human like everyone else and has his faults like everyone else, he swears like everyone else does or doesn't sometimes.

Different strokes etc etc

I swear in everyday conversation all the time, but I find it unnecessary when it's used in books, songs etc. In the right context, it's fine. But it's not always appropriate.

T Fearon

I was fortunate to meet Gooch at Old Trafford a few years ago,and a nicer more humble lad you couldn't wish to meet.

I have read probably at least a hundred sports biographies,and have never once read the word f..k in any of them,until this one.

While I'm not naive to think the lad never swears,I think it is wholly unnecessary in print,and reflects poorly on other wide fascinating narratives

galwayman

What do you mean it doesn't sound like the "real Gooch"?
Are you a friend of his or what?
He could talk like that all the time for all any of us know sure.
We only see the lad on tv

rrhf

Quote from: T Fearon on October 07, 2017, 08:13:56 AM
I was fortunate to meet Gooch at Old Trafford a few years ago,and a nicer more humble lad you couldn't wish to meet.

I have read probably at least a hundred sports biographies,and have never once read the word f..k in any of them,until this one.

While I'm not naive to think the lad never swears,I think it is wholly unnecessary in print,and reflects poorly on other wide fascinating narratives
Roy Keanes had an odd one in it. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

The Pursuit of Perfection by Cormac's brother, Dónal Mc Anallen, had me in bits -- a very well written, though extremely harrowing, and brutally honest, account of our erstwhile captain.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...