Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on November 23, 2022, 06:10:50 PM
Why do the Red High play in the McLarnon rather than McCrory cup?
They have a large pool of players from some good senior clubs.
They often have multiple county minors & development squad members.

Surely they should be testing themselves against the best in Ulster rather than chasing B grade trophies?

Because they aren't at that standard. If they were, they'd win or at least challenge for it regularly.

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: manwithnoplan on November 23, 2022, 07:54:50 PM

Surely they should be testing themselves against the best in Ulster rather than chasing B grade trophies?

Because they aren't at that standard. If they were, they'd win or at least challenge for it regularly.

They won it two years ago & make the later stages most seasons.

If, however, as you say they aren't at that standard, then why not given my points above?

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on November 23, 2022, 08:34:13 PM

If, however, as you say they aren't at that standard, then why not given my points above?

They won it in 2019, and in 2001. Not exactly a powerhouse at that level.

Drawing some players from good senior clubs doesn't automatically mean success. It requires an emphasis on coaching those players from 1st year onwards, aiming to have them compete at the higher end of the scale in the junior years before challenging at the top level in year 6/7. Some schools don't prioritise that as much as others, or they don't have the coaches in place throughout the age groups to allow a team to develop and compete as it moves up through the age groups in the school competitions. I'd suggest the Red High historically hasn't really put a huge emphasis on building an 'elite' sporting culture within the school, although the recent hurling success seemed to be down to a few years of good work and building towards what they ended up achieving. Just takes having the right people employed at the school who really want to drive it on, and who have the skills and knowledge to do so.

Truth hurts

I see st Pauls Bessbrook beat St Pats Maghera in Rannafast quarters yesterday. Are there any Down players on the squad?  Fair play to them for testing themselves against the best.

pbat

toby47

sdg

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 24, 2022, 08:51:02 AM

I see st Pauls Bessbrook beat St Pats Maghera in Rannafast quarters yesterday. Are there any Down players on the squad?  Fair play to them for testing themselves against the best.

Fair play for testing themselves , if they have a good team they will but if not they stay at B level, a school with their numbers should be A all competitions/ years.

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: manwithnoplan on November 23, 2022, 09:22:57 PM

Drawing some players from good senior clubs doesn't automatically mean success. It requires an emphasis on coaching those players from 1st year onwards, aiming to have them compete at the higher end of the scale in the junior years before challenging at the top level in year 6/7. Some schools don't prioritise that as much as others, or they don't have the coaches in place throughout the age groups to allow a team to develop and compete as it moves up through the age groups in the school competitions. I'd suggest the Red High historically hasn't really put a huge emphasis on building an 'elite' sporting culture within the school, although the recent hurling success seemed to be down to a few years of good work and building towards what they ended up achieving. Just takes having the right people employed at the school who really want to drive it on, and who have the skills and knowledge to do so.

They put a big emphasis on football in the Red High especially as the players get older.

As for employing people with the right skill's & knowledge, the coach of the Down senior footballers works there!!

I honestly think they just play at a lower level as it's easier rather than being tested at McRory level.

Truth hurts

The Red High have only won the McLarnon 5 times in their history but won the Rannafast 3 times in the early 80s with players like John Kelly and Barry Breen among the winners. A big school with a rich history and good gaa clubs feeding the school.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on November 24, 2022, 02:13:24 PM

They put a big emphasis on football in the Red High especially as the players get older.

As for employing people with the right skill's & knowledge, the coach of the Down senior footballers works there!!

I honestly think they just play at a lower level as it's easier rather than being tested at McRory level.

There wasn't a huge emphasis on building a team to go up through the age groups when I was there, especially after the sad passing of Pat O'Hare, who was a real gentleman and brilliant with all the students who had the privilege of being there when he was there. Barry Kelly was another who was very good with the older age groups, but I'm talking about starting in year 8 and aiming to continuously improve up to the upper age group. I don't think they play at this level as it's easier, they are just playing at their level, which is demonstrated by their record in the competition.

They have a Down coach there now, who is good at what he does, but it takes years to build that culture within the school, and a strong footballing reputation that attracts 'stronger' players to the school.

I am not trying to be overly critical of those who have put in great work over the years, simply trying to point out that there were always a few good football people employed in the school, but it maybe wasn't a top priority of the school for many years.

Truth hurts

Quote from: manwithnoplan on November 24, 2022, 03:55:07 PM

There wasn't a huge emphasis on building a team to go up through the age groups when I was there, especially after the sad passing of Pat O'Hare, who was a real gentleman and brilliant with all the students who had the privilege of being there when he was there. Barry Kelly was another who was very good with the older age groups, but I'm talking about starting in year 8 and aiming to continuously improve up to the upper age group. I don't think they play at this level as it's easier, they are just playing at their level, which is demonstrated by their record in the competition.

They have a Down coach there now, who is good at what he does, but it takes years to build that culture within the school, and a strong footballing reputation that attracts 'stronger' players to the school.

I am not trying to be overly critical of those who have put in great work over the years, simply trying to point out that there were always a few good football people employed in the school, but it maybe wasn't a top priority of the school for many years.

The primary school coaches should be helping out in schools that are struggling with GAA, that where Down an improve.

Johnnysboys

[/quote]

[/quote]

Who is this??

Phoenix rising

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 24, 2022, 04:47:00 PM

I am not trying to be overly critical of those who have put in great work over the years, simply trying to  point out that there  8)were always a few good football people employed in the school, but it maybe wasn't a top priority of the school for many years.

The primary school coaches should be helping out in schools that are struggling with GAA, that where Down an improve.

Declan Morgan has been there at least 8 years,
- Gaelic football in the school is a joke.....should be winning McLarnons - maybe they are waiting to amalgamate with De La Salle before pushing on....

Targetman

Morgan has taken a career break, more money in the coffee shops!

Truth hurts

Quote from: Phoenix rising on November 24, 2022, 06:17:19 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on November 24, 2022, 04:47:00 PM

I am not trying to be overly critical of those who have put in great work over the years, simply trying to  point out that there  8)were always a few good football people employed in the school, but it maybe wasn't a top priority of the school for many years.

Declan Morgan has been there at least 8 years,
- Gaelic football in the school is a joke.....should be winning McLarnons - maybe they are waiting to amalgamate with De La Salle before pushing on....

When the amalgamation happens they will certainly be a MacRory team. I think they are a strong school but could be better given the rich clubs that feed the school.