Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Red

I don't think they will be a MacRory team if the merge with DLS. DLS haven't really done much in schools football in 20 plus years have they?

Truth hurts

Quote from: Mourne Red on November 25, 2022, 09:16:28 AM
I don't think they will be a MacRory team if the merge with DLS. DLS haven't really done much in schools football in 20 plus years have they?

The numbers that they will increase the chances. On the subject of schools, who is pushing soccer in St Marks Warrenpoint? They seem to be playing a game every day. Do Warrenpoint Town FC help them out as they seem to be good at it.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 25, 2022, 09:19:31 AM
Quote from: Mourne Red on November 25, 2022, 09:16:28 AM

The numbers that they will increase the chances. On the subject of schools, who is pushing soccer in St Marks Warrenpoint? They seem to be playing a game every day. Do Warrenpoint Town FC help them out as they seem to be good at it.

Increased numbers doesn't automatically transmit to success. As mentioned, there are other factors that feed in to this.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 24, 2022, 04:47:00 PM
Quote from: manwithnoplan on November 24, 2022, 03:55:07 PM
Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on November 24, 2022, 02:13:24 PM
Quote from: manwithnoplan on November 23, 2022, 09:22:57 PM
Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on November 23, 2022, 08:34:13 PM
Quote from: manwithnoplan on November 23, 2022, 07:54:50 PM
Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on November 23, 2022, 06:10:50 PM
Why do the Red High play in the McLarnon rather than McCrory cup?
They have a large pool of players from some good senior clubs.
They often have multiple county minors & development squad members.

Surely they should be testing themselves against the best in Ulster rather than chasing B grade trophies?

Because they aren't at that standard. If they were, they'd win or at least challenge for it regularly.

They won it two years ago & make the later stages most seasons.

If, however, as you say they aren't at that standard, then why not given my points above?

They won it in 2019, and in 2001. Not exactly a powerhouse at that level.

Drawing some players from good senior clubs doesn't automatically mean success. It requires an emphasis on coaching those players from 1st year onwards, aiming to have them compete at the higher end of the scale in the junior years before challenging at the top level in year 6/7. Some schools don't prioritise that as much as others, or they don't have the coaches in place throughout the age groups to allow a team to develop and compete as it moves up through the age groups in the school competitions. I'd suggest the Red High historically hasn't really put a huge emphasis on building an 'elite' sporting culture within the school, although the recent hurling success seemed to be down to a few years of good work and building towards what they ended up achieving. Just takes having the right people employed at the school who really want to drive it on, and who have the skills and knowledge to do so.

They put a big emphasis on football in the Red High especially as the players get older.

As for employing people with the right skill's & knowledge, the coach of the Down senior footballers works there!!

I honestly think they just play at a lower level as it's easier rather than being tested at McRory level.

There wasn't a huge emphasis on building a team to go up through the age groups when I was there, especially after the sad passing of Pat O'Hare, who was a real gentleman and brilliant with all the students who had the privilege of being there when he was there. Barry Kelly was another who was very good with the older age groups, but I'm talking about starting in year 8 and aiming to continuously improve up to the upper age group. I don't think they play at this level as it's easier, they are just playing at their level, which is demonstrated by their record in the competition.

They have a Down coach there now, who is good at what he does, but it takes years to build that culture within the school, and a strong footballing reputation that attracts 'stronger' players to the school.

I am not trying to be overly critical of those who have put in great work over the years, simply trying to point out that there were always a few good football people employed in the school, but it maybe wasn't a top priority of the school for many years.

The primary school coaches should be helping out in schools that are struggling with GAA, that where Down an improve.

You have that a little backwards, it's Down GAA that should be helping the primary schools (and put in place structures for their associated clubs to become more involved where possible), that's where Down can improve.

Truth hurts

Quote from: manwithnoplan on November 25, 2022, 11:52:37 AM

Surely they should be testing themselves against the best in Ulster rather than chasing B grade trophies?

Because they aren't at that standard. If they were, they'd win or at least challenge for it regularly.

If, however, as you say they aren't at that standard, then why not given my points above?

Drawing some players from good senior clubs doesn't automatically mean success. It requires an emphasis on coaching those players from 1st year onwards, aiming to have them compete at the higher end of the scale in the junior years before challenging at the top level in year 6/7. Some schools don't prioritise that as much as others, or they don't have the coaches in place throughout the age groups to allow a team to develop and compete as it moves up through the age groups in the school competitions. I'd suggest the Red High historically hasn't really put a huge emphasis on building an 'elite' sporting culture within the school, although the recent hurling success seemed to be down to a few years of good work and building towards what they ended up achieving. Just takes having the right people employed at the school who really want to drive it on, and who have the skills and knowledge to do so.

They put a big emphasis on football in the Red High especially as the players get older.

As for employing people with the right skill's & knowledge, the coach of the Down senior footballers works there!!

I honestly think they just play at a lower level as it's easier rather than being tested at McRory level.

There wasn't a huge emphasis on building a team to go up through the age groups when I was there, especially after the sad passing of Pat O'Hare, who was a real gentleman and brilliant with all the students who had the privilege of being there when he was there. Barry Kelly was another who was very good with the older age groups, but I'm talking about starting in year 8 and aiming to continuously improve up to the upper age group. I don't think they play at this level as it's easier, they are just playing at their level, which is demonstrated by their record in the competition.

They have a Down coach there now, who is good at what he does, but it takes years to build that culture within the school, and a strong footballing reputation that attracts 'stronger' players to the school.

I am not trying to be overly critical of those who have put in great work over the years, simply trying to point out that there were always a few good football people employed in the school, but it maybe wasn't a top priority of the school for many years.

The primary school coaches should be helping out in schools that are struggling with GAA, that where Down an improve.

You have that a little backwards, it's Down GAA that should be helping the primary schools (and put in place structures for their associated clubs to become more involved where possible), that's where Down can improve.

But Down do help with the primary schools and they want to help in secondary but are not allowed to.

Truth hurts

I see Clonduff have announced Adrian Cush and another fella as their new management team.  The Clonduff people must want a cure for Insomnia.

delgany

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 25, 2022, 12:14:30 PM

But Down do help with the primary schools and they want to help in secondary but are not allowed to.

Who are these primary school coaches ? Do they operate in all areas of the county ?

Truth hurts

Quote from: delgany on November 25, 2022, 02:25:11 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on November 25, 2022, 12:14:30 PM

Who are these primary school coaches ? Do they operate in all areas of the county ?

I would imagine they do and if they don't go to your school I would be complaining to the county office. There might be a reason behind it like they are not allowed access to the school.

Johnnysboys

[/b]

[/quote]

Absolute disgrace of a school with their lack of push towards gaelic games now. A school built on GAA and the link with feeder clubs. Soccer team actually cut their panel which is very damaging to young fellas mental health. Just stuck the names on a list that made the panel. Not the way it should be in a team all inclusive setting.  From a GAA perspective- what my lad tells me - the better coaches in the school are not even taking teams this year either girls or boys. Barney had everyone pulling together for the greater good and got success galore. How I wish his son Niall was head of PE - someone who understands what this school means to the area.

Mourne Red

East Belfast Dinner Dance looked like fun.. Digs flying everywhere and that was just the women

smort

charlieTully

Quote from: Mourne Red on November 25, 2022, 09:00:06 PM
East Belfast Dinner Dance looked like fun.. Digs flying everywhere and that was just the women

It was a traveller wedding.

Mourne Red

Quote from: charlieTully on November 25, 2022, 09:18:17 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on November 25, 2022, 09:00:06 PM

It was a traveller wedding.

Ahh I thought the cross community project had gone wrong once the drink went in.. Never mind

Hard2Listen2

Is the Kilcoo game this evening on tv anywhere?

Nanderson

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on November 26, 2022, 09:10:35 AM
Is the Kilcoo game this evening on tv anywhere?
no. on ulster gaa tv for 10er