Depression

Started by Eamonnca1, October 25, 2013, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Larry, with all due respect to the lads here, and recognising the courage it takes to type something like that, I think you just should go and have a chat with someone you know and trust. Parent, sibling, partner etc. or better again contact someone that might be able to really help you. Pieta House do a brilliant job. Best of luck to you Larry, and I hope typing it helped a little, but I'm serious about going to talk to someone properly.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2015, 07:54:21 AM
Larry, with all due respect to the lads here, and recognising the courage it takes to type something like that, I think you just should go and have a chat with someone you know and trust. Parent, sibling, partner etc. or better again contact someone that might be able to really help you. Pieta House do a brilliant job. Best of luck to you Larry, and I hope typing it helped a little, but I'm serious about going to talk to someone properly.

Agreed. It takes courage to post what you did, but I think AZ is right.

Best of luck with it. And remember, there is no way I will be missing if we finally land Sam!
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

Quote from: larryin89 on May 20, 2015, 11:37:20 PM
Dealt with depression on my own for a long time , lately i have felt myself going into a very dark place and it scares me . I can shake it off and talk myself around to thinking that things will get better but then I go back into this fuckin weird zone like asking myself  , what's the point there's nothing to be gained by carrying on through life like this , this only lasts for a brief period would end when I finish crying and wallowing in self pity by me sort of kicking myself up the hole and telling myself to cop on to f**k.  It's hard to explain and I probably shouldn't of typed in here but sure what harm can it do really
It's the depression thread and this is exactly the appropriate place for an off the cuff post like yours.
When you can cry, then that's the best thing you can do to release buried emotions.  There's nothing on the planet that works better, it's the body's  own mechanism to rid itself of emotions that have been stored. Sometimes we are reluctant to go to that place where the pain is, because that's where it really hurts. Children don't have that issue, they just let it rip but then they go to school and learn how not to.

The Bearded One

With the tragic death of the young lad in Clonoe I just thought it appropriate to bump this thread up to the top again. There's always an ear ready to listen if you have a problem, no matter how small or big you think it is.
It is what it is. Presumably.

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on May 22, 2015, 12:43:28 AM
Dealt with depression on my own for a long time , lately i have felt myself going into a very dark place and it scares me . I can shake it off and talk myself around to thinking that things will get better but then I go back into this fuckin weird zone like asking myself  , what's the point there's nothing to be gained by carrying on through life like this , this only lasts for a brief period would end when I finish crying and wallowing in self pity by me sort of kicking myself up the hole and telling myself to cop on to f**k.  It's hard to explain and I probably shouldn't of typed in here but sure what harm can it do really
It's the depression thread and this is exactly the appropriate place for an off the cuff post like yours.
When you can cry, then that's the best thing you can do to release buried emotions.  There's nothing on the planet that works better, it's the body's  own mechanism to rid itself of emotions that have been stored. Sometimes we are reluctant to go to that place where the pain is, because that's where it really hurts. Children don't have that issue, they just let it rip but then they go to school and learn how not to.

Very good post, but is this last bit correct?

Is that what school teaches about depression?
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on June 09, 2015, 03:42:02 AM
Quote from: Main Street on May 22, 2015, 12:43:28 AM

Very good post, but is this last bit correct?

Is that what school teaches about depression?

I think he was wasn't saying that school teaches that as such, more that the social constraints associated with being in a group that you encounter when going to school.

Very good thread this actually and if any posters feel that this is a place they can come and share their feelings do it. Its obviously not as good as talking face to face or even anonymously on the phone to the Samaritans or whoever but its a quick and easy anonymous outlet and you'll be guaranteed nothing but support.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Farrandeelin

Bumping this up again due to the time of year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 15, 2015, 10:20:57 PM
Bumping this up again due to the time of year.

Yeah. Important to be occupied with something positive this time of year.

laoislad

Good programme on Rte 2 now about depression and using exercise to combat it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Mayo4Sam

Ironmind - very good programme and that girl who's sister committed suicide was very brave, a very hard thing to do never mind doing it on camera, fair play to her
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

laoislad

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 23, 2015, 04:02:41 PM
Ironmind - very good programme and that girl who's sister committed suicide was very brave, a very hard thing to do never mind doing it on camera, fair play to her
I thought each one of them were great. It was comforting to hear other people say things they may have thought about themselves at certain times in their life's that you may have thought about yourself at times.
I suppose its always nice to know you're not the only one to experience certain feelings.

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on November 22, 2015, 09:37:22 PM

Stepping up the running this week.....

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 30, 2015, 01:20:13 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 22, 2015, 09:37:22 PM

Stepping up the running this week.....
Good man. I signed up for the  Spar Great Ireland Run 10k there are few minutes ago. Something to aim for with training over the winter. Its not until April but I believe it sells out fast.

The second part of that programme was on last night. Once again it was excellent.
One of the best things RTE have done in a long time. 4 very likeable people and yer man Bressie also came across as a very genuine bloke. If anyone hasn't seen it I would highly recommend watching it on the rte player.
It was difficult to watch at times but also very emotional.
I thought the part where the fella from Mullingar spoke to his parents was great.