NFL Division 2 2019

Started by Horse Box, November 22, 2018, 04:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

QuotePoor performance, promotion probably gone after that result today it's probably more likely that we are in a relegation battle, defensively we are just not good enough. This is the last year of McGeeneys contract and it's hard to see how he can get another one since we haven't really progressed anything if you base it on the 3 League results to date.

Have you seen the Div 2 table as of this evening? Promotion / Relegation all realistic for any team in the division still, 3 points separating top and bottom.

tonto1888

Quote from: yellowcard on February 10, 2019, 03:53:08 PM
Poor performance, promotion probably gone after that result today it's probably more likely that we are in a relegation battle, defensively we are just not good enough. This is the last year of McGeeneys contract and it's hard to see how he can get another one since we haven't really progressed anything if you base it on the 3 League results to date.

4 games left and 3 at home. We could still go up. Hope we don't tho.
Hats off to the meath full backs cute hoorism. Going down with cramp with one point in itreally broke our momentum. Not a criticism. It was smart. I wish we would show some of that at times

Throw ball

Quote from: David McKeown on February 10, 2019, 05:23:37 PM
Quote from: thejuice on February 10, 2019, 04:59:11 PM
I don't know about that. Soft penalty we got today not given and Jamie Clarke in the team you could have won that game today.

No I genuinely think Geezer would still have found a way to lose it. Armagh got back into the game and were within a point when they changed tactics to sit back. It's infuriating.

Honestly don't think there was a change of tactics and it might even be a disservice to Meath to suggest so. Armagh had done well to get back to a point down. The Meath full back went down to break up play and Armagh's momentum- cleverly. Meath then got a well bought free to put 2 in it again. The legs seemed to go at that stage. Maybe the effort to claw back the deficit had taken its toll. Maybe fresh legs should have been introduced earlier.

balladmaker

For second week in a row I'm questioning the substitution of Stefan Campbell, when more scores were needed we took him off, same as last week in Clare game.  That's 3 games in a row now that Armagh have faded badly in the last quarter ... the first two we faded to give up a lead, today we faded from a 1 point deficit when we were in the ascendancy to a 6 point defeat.  Still, bring on Tipp in 2 weeks time.

Throw ball

Poor performance, promotion probably gone after that result today it's probably more likely that we are in a relegation battle, defensively we are just not good enough. This is the last year of McGeeneys contract and it's hard to see how he can get another one since we haven't really progressed anything if you base it on the 3 League results to date.

The easy out is to blame the manager. Meath have been playing division 2 football for a good few years now. Armagh are just up from division 3 - they were in division 3 when McGeeney took over. Maybe Meath at home are just about a better team at the minute.

Interestingly I can only think of Forker, Sheridan, Grugan and Campbell who would have started in the league game against Meath in 2016. That is some change in personnel.

tonto1888

Quote from: Throw ball on February 10, 2019, 07:01:44 PM

The easy out is to blame the manager. Meath have been playing division 2 football for a good few years now. Armagh are just up from division 3 - they were in division 3 when McGeeney took over. Maybe Meath at home are just about a better team at the minute.

Interestingly I can only think of Forker, Sheridan, Grugan and Campbell who would have started in the league game against Meath in 2016. That is some change in personnel.

Morgan?

Captain Obvious

Armagh lost that game in the 1st half today. Just two points from the opening 3 games means Armagh aim is now to stay up instead of looking for promotion. Meath could well be promoted, when did they last play in Division one?

tonto1888

Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 10, 2019, 07:30:46 PM
Armagh lost that game in the 1st half today. Just two points from the opening 3 games means Armagh aim is now to stay up instead of looking for promotion. Meath could well be promoted, when did they last play in Division one?

Thinknit said 2006 on the radio

yellowcard

Quote from: balladmaker on February 10, 2019, 06:05:10 PM
QuotePoor performance, promotion probably gone after that result today it's probably more likely that we are in a relegation battle, defensively we are just not good enough. This is the last year of McGeeneys contract and it's hard to see how he can get another one since we haven't really progressed anything if you base it on the 3 League results to date.

Have you seen the Div 2 table as of this evening? Promotion / Relegation all realistic for any team in the division still, 3 points separating top and bottom.

Of course it's still possible but I just don't see it happening. We play Donegal away and I don't see us getting anything there and I don't expect that 8 points would be enough, more likely 9.

W

balladmaker

QuoteOf course it's still possible but I just don't see it happening. We play Donegal away and I don't see us getting anything there and I don't expect that 8 points would be enough, more likely 9.

We need to stay up, would be disaster for Armagh to go straight back down to Div 3 again.  Need to consolidate our place in this division and worry about promotion at another time ... I see 6 out of 8 points as being realistic given we've 3 games at home.

yellowcard

Quote from: Throw ball on February 10, 2019, 07:01:44 PM

It's not a case of blaming anybody but I think there was a bit too much hype before the League began that we could achieve something big this year. I just don't see it happening, we are decent up front but have a lot of problems in other areas of the pitch. For me, we are in a relegation scrap if we lose our next match. Maybe we should wait until the League is finished before making full judgement but that's just my view as things stand now. If we win 3 or 4 of next few games and get promoted I'll gladly hold my hands up.

Meath are a consistent mid table division 2 side but I don't think many would have had them down for promotion before the campaign began but they've given themselves a chance with some difficult fixtures played already.

smelmoth

Quote from: balladmaker on February 10, 2019, 07:46:13 PM
QuoteOf course it's still possible but I just don't see it happening. We play Donegal away and I don't see us getting anything there and I don't expect that 8 points would be enough, more likely 9.

We need to stay up, would be distaster for Armagh to go straight back down to Div 3 again.  Need to consolidate our place in this division and worry about promotion at another time ... I see 6 out of 8 points as being realistic given we've 3 games at home.

I don't see us in a relegation battle. There have been infuriating aspects of our play in all 3 games. But a few players back and a wee run of home form and we will be ok and maybe a bit better than that. Donaghy was our biggest miss so hopefully he is available for the rest of the league. Burns could make a big difference to the full back line

2 from 6 sounds like relegation form but not after 3 games in this league this year

tonto1888

Quote from: smelmoth on February 10, 2019, 07:54:08 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on February 10, 2019, 07:46:13 PM

We need to stay up, would be distaster for Armagh to go straight back down to Div 3 again.  Need to consolidate our place in this division and worry about promotion at another time ... I see 6 out of 8 points as being realistic given we've 3 games at home.

I don't see us in a relegation battle. There have been infuriating aspects of our play in all 3 games. But a few players back and a wee run of home form and we will be ok and maybe a bit better than that. Donaghy was our biggest miss so hopefully he is available for the rest of the league. Burns could make a big difference to the full back line

2 from 6 sounds like relegation form but not after 3 games in this league this year

Agree about donaghy. Also, was good to see Paul Hughes get game time today

thejuice

I think Meath bringing on Graham Reilly and Eoghan Lynch helped steady us in the second half as well. From what I could tell Campbell was tiring before he went off. I doubt McGeeney would change tactics after scoring 0-7 to 0-1 in the second half. If he changed anything it might have to beeen to try limit the influence of Reilly coming on.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016