Kildare v Sligo

Started by Dinny Breen, July 22, 2012, 11:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 24, 2012, 11:04:04 AM
I wouldn't agree re Hughie McGrillen. While not as prominent as in recent years he's still a reliable player and is still the source of many of our attacks.

Have to agree to disagree. I don't question his engine or his clever runs forward, but we need a corner back that can defend, and Hughie simply isn't doing it at the moment. Do me a favour and watch closely, really closely, the next time a forward runs at him.
I still have great respect for the work he's put in to get him in the condition he is. Maybe he can battle for a place as a wing-back/midfielder. But he was severely burned several times on Saturday and it's not the first time. I really think he's just not suited to playing in the full-back line.

LilySavage

We're in the last 12 despite only playing well in patches that's all that matters so less of the persecution complex, we'll just keep our heads down and keep driving on.

Its hardly a persecution complex u clown. As stated above , it doesnt suit many Sligo people either. Its the last place I expected this game to be played.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 24, 2012, 11:49:12 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 24, 2012, 10:56:21 AM
Quote from: LilySavage on July 24, 2012, 10:30:32 AM
Think its a nonsende this game is on in Roscommon town. A Sligo colleague agrees and says he and his mates unlikely to attend now. They should have put this as a doubleheader in Croker on Saturday. They did it last year for Kildare/Derry and Down/Cork. Cork and Derry have very small support , ud get more from Meath/Kildare/Sligo. Also, last train out of Ros is at 7pm. Did the GAA mutton heads even consider that when applying a 6.30 start?Becuase so many showed up in Breffni, do they think theyll get 10,000 Kildare fans in Ros at 6.30? No fooking chance.

And the atmosphere at those games was brutal, in travel terms it favours Sligo just but considering we have motorway all the way to Athlone it's not exactly the outback we're heading to. Plus if it was in CP as a double header wtf do you think the other counties would be supporting, we have a 100% qualifier record there, we'll bring approx 8K I'd imagine, we brought 10K to Portlaoise x 2 and Brefni Park. We're in the last 12 despite only playing well in patches that's all that matters so less of the persecution complex, we'll just keep our heads down and keep driving on.

Is that since the time we beat ye there in the qualifiers?

I was referring to our one and only previous qualifier in Roscommon, I remember that game in Croke Park, we're very good at given teams epic victories, I believe that day was also the birth of the geansaí dubh as well.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 24, 2012, 11:54:15 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 24, 2012, 11:04:04 AM
I wouldn't agree re Hughie McGrillen. While not as prominent as in recent years he's still a reliable player and is still the source of many of our attacks.

Have to agree to disagree. I don't question his engine or his clever runs forward, but we need a corner back that can defend, and Hughie simply isn't doing it at the moment. Do me a favour and watch closely, really closely, the next time a forward runs at him.
I still have great respect for the work he's put in to get him in the condition he is. Maybe he can battle for a place as a wing-back/midfielder. But he was severely burned several times on Saturday and it's not the first time. I really think he's just not suited to playing in the full-back line.

I don't think he's suited by marking smaller nippier forwards like he was against Ger Collins on Saturday. His best marking displays have been against bigger lads like Colm McFadden, Seán Cavanagh, Niall McNamee and Shane O'Rourke. I think we should be alternating him and Ollie between the two lines depending on who is lining out inside for the opposition. With David Kelly likely to be the main danger man inside for Sligo, I think it's a job for Ollie if he's fit.

I'm not sure if he's cut out for midfield. Despite his height he is not great a great fielder. I can't see him being dropped anyway. I think he has started every single championship match since his debut in 2009.

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 24, 2012, 12:14:03 PM
I was referring to our one and only previous qualifier in Roscommon, I remember that game in Croke Park, we're very good at given teams epic victories, I believe that day was also the birth of the geansaí dubh as well.

Wasn't that the day there was an almighty row on the Kildare team bus to Croke Park?  ;D
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: LilySavage on July 24, 2012, 12:04:40 PM
We're in the last 12 despite only playing well in patches that's all that matters so less of the persecution complex, we'll just keep our heads down and keep driving on.

Its hardly a persecution complex u clown. As stated above , it doesnt suit many Sligo people either. Its the last place I expected this game to be played.

Less of the clown talk, that's not funny.

Lots of Kildare fans in the past month or so are starting to whinge about everything from the treatment of SJ, to the muppet show (aka TSG), to losing home venue, to refereeing appointments, to fixed draws and now the choice of venue, reading back I see the point you actually make is valid but lost in all the moaning and whinging going on I just wish we would just shut up and keep our heads down and focus on football only and none of the side shows.
#newbridgeornowhere

LilySavage

I just wish we would just shut up and keep our heads down and focus on football only and none of the side shows.

Fair enough, but I dont believe this (the venue!) to be a sideshow at all. I think Co. Board are 100% right to loge an appeal even though it wont matter a wit this time. Maybe next year though, the GAA use more sense as a result of our concerns re venue.

baoithe

Quote from: LilySavage on July 24, 2012, 02:00:48 PM
I just wish we would just shut up and keep our heads down and focus on football only and none of the side shows.

Fair enough, but I dont believe this (the venue!) to be a sideshow at all. I think Co. Board
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 24, 2012, 12:23:08 PM

Lots of Kildare fans in the past month or so are starting to whinge about everything from the treatment of SJ, to the muppet show (aka TSG), to losing home venue, to refereeing appointments, to fixed draws and now the choice of venue, reading back I see the point you actually make is valid but lost in all the moaning and whinging going on I just wish we would just shut up and keep our heads down and focus on football only and none of the side shows.
are 100% right to loge an appeal even though it wont matter a wit this time. Maybe next year though, the GAA use more sense as a result of our concerns re venue.

Lads for the Sligo crowd it could be more of a pain getting home than for you lot. I live in North Kildare and was back in KIldare after the Connacht Final at 5.15pm. Friends of mine got home to Sligo later than that. The only heavy flow of traffic likely to be hit by the Kildare fans is from Athlone to Roscommon and vice-versa but thats a short spin. Kildare Co Board are more concerned that this is a venue with which Sligo are more familiar I suspect.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: baoithe on July 24, 2012, 02:40:54 PM
Quote from: LilySavage on July 24, 2012, 02:00:48 PM

Fair enough, but I dont believe this (the venue!) to be a sideshow at all. I think Co. Board
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 24, 2012, 12:23:08 PM

are 100% right to loge an appeal even though it wont matter a wit this time. Maybe next year though, the GAA use more sense as a result of our concerns re venue.

Lads for the Sligo crowd it could be more of a pain getting home than for you lot. I live in North Kildare and was back in KIldare after the Connacht Final at 5.15pm. Friends of mine got home to Sligo later than that. The only heavy flow of traffic likely to be hit by the Kildare fans is from Athlone to Roscommon and vice-versa but thats a short spin. Kildare Co Board are more concerned that this is a venue with which Sligo are more familiar I suspect.

I think the Kildare County Board just like reading about themselves in the papers. There are very few venues in the country now that aren't convenient for Kildare followers given the quality of the motorway network in and out of the county.

Apparently Sligo have only played in Hyde Park twice since Kildare last played there in 2007 so familiarity with the venue is not really an issue.

magpie seanie

I can't believe the hullabaloo about the venue. Bit of a joke really. Where would be better/fairer? Longford maybe but much of a muchness. Cavan would have been too much of an advantage to ye!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 24, 2012, 02:50:07 PM
I can't believe the hullabaloo about the venue. Bit of a joke really. Where would be better/fairer? Longford maybe but much of a muchness. Cavan would have been too much of an advantage to ye!

It really is ridiculous. Cavan is unavailable because of club games there and Longford probably wouldn't hold the crowd.

The county board are hardly in the good books with Croke Park at the moment so you think they'd be trying to deflect attention away from themselves. The venue was never going to be changed anyway - learn to pick your battles lads!

Dinny Breen

Roscommon is pretty fair and the Kildare camp are just in siege mentality mode. It's ironic because 3 of our previous round 4 qualifier games were all played in Croke Park against the beaten Ulster finalists, travel and distant funny enough wasn't mentioned then. An earlier throw-in might have been better, would have liked to brought my daughter but she'd be like a zombie by the time I get home.

Anyhow last Kildare team to play in the Championship in Hyde Park in 2007

KILDARE - E Murphy; E Callaghan, K O'Neill, A McLoughlin; A Rainbow, M Hogarty, E Bolton; R Sweeney, D Lyons; J Kavanagh, J Doyle, K Donnelly; M Conway, J Phillips, P O'Neill.

Those highlighted still involved and would expect 6 of them to start, wasn't expecting to see so many. Looking at how McGeeney has turned those footballers into the competitors they are is a great testament to him, from where we were in 2007 to where we are now is light years away. 

And Jason Philips - Kildare's Donaghy experiment, not JC's wisest move.
#newbridgeornowhere

sligoman2

Dont forget to fill out ye're team sheet in irish :o :o
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

magpie seanie

Quote from: sligoman2 on July 24, 2012, 03:46:02 PM
Dont forget to fill out ye're team sheet in irish :o :o

And use the correct number of subs!

Barney

Did Kildare not have the joy of meeting Monaghan and Derry half-way in Croke Park over the last few years?

It's a field at the end of the day. A dump, but it's the same for both teams.

Syferus

I'd forgot Dermot Jr. was injured that day. Has he ever graced the Hyde? The 2003 Ros-Kildare game was in Portlaoise. It'll be a fairly emotional day for him either way.