Mayo V Sligo - Connaught senior final - July 15th

Started by sligoman2, June 25, 2012, 12:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on June 27, 2012, 12:09:19 AM
Quote from: ross4life on June 26, 2012, 11:29:54 PM
Roscommon borders every county in Connacht it's more central location than Pearse or Castlebar. For the people of north Mayo they can stay at home like you Moy & watch in on telly if they think it's too much hassle to travel.
Farrandeelin, certainly not hot and bothered if our minors don't reach the final i honestly don't care where the final is staged i'll probably go to the Munster hurling final instead.

Cosmo, Yes it's a shame that the Hyde has been let go the way it has in the last few years when it was redeveloped in the mid 90s it was one of the finest stadiums in Connacht but nothing has been done on it since because as we have no money.

Criostlinn, The buckets collections are not for ground development merely to pay off the huge debts that accrued from been poorly run over the years for example Castlerea business John Murphy helped out by giving a million in order that it's paid back to him.

So you re attitude is to tell people to stay at home if they don t want to go to the Hyde? Nice. I dunno what part of Ros you are in but try driving to Belmullet ( by the time you are in Strokestown more than half way to Dublin - time wise anyway)  or Clifden sometime.

As regards watchin it on the telly it is only something I resorted to once before for a Connacht final but it will be an option for a lot of people. Why is so important to you that finals would be held in the Hyde. The idea that Ros is central because it borders the rest is laughable - look at the size of Mayo and Galway, how far Leitrim goes north. Now if anything Roscommon people are spoiled by being very close to Castlebar, Carrick, Sligo and Tuam. The hurling crowd in South Galway are closer to the Hyde than most of the football province. I still dont understand why ye think finals should be there but to tell people to stay home and watch it on the telly if they don t like the arrangement is some arrogance.
The more I think about it the more I feel like watchin this one on the telly, if it s in Hyde or Pearse

I'm not telling anyone to stay at home i was referred to you (as you can see in the above quote) who thinks it's too much of hassle to travel but i doubt others will have your attitude.

If your picking a central location for Connacht finals it has to suit all counties & for example Hyde park is closer to Leitrim than Salthill or Castlebar is.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ross4life on June 26, 2012, 10:48:36 PM

Neither Pearse or Hyde suitable for geographical reasons, even leaving out the politics.

One is almost in Leinster the other almost in Munster. Castlebar or Tuam were the best option for a central venue.

A bit rusty with on geography Moy? one look at the above map & you can see Roscommon is the best option for central Connacht final.
With all due respects, the same can be said about your grasp of symmetry.
It wouldn't be a case of merely moving goalposts but of having to lift and shift the whole bloody province westwards before Roscommon Town became the centre of anywhere or anything else for that matter.
Obviously, Claremorris is the ideal location if one goes looking for a central venue in Connacht. Bekan is a few miles from Claremorris and has been earmarked already for the development of a centre of excellence for all of Connacht.
It's a no-brainer to say that Bekan is the place where a central stadium should be built.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on June 27, 2012, 12:37:54 AM
Quote from: moysider on June 27, 2012, 12:09:19 AM
Quote from: ross4life on June 26, 2012, 11:29:54 PM
Roscommon borders every county in Connacht it's more central location than Pearse or Castlebar. For the people of north Mayo they can stay at home like you Moy & watch in on telly if they think it's too much hassle to travel.
Farrandeelin, certainly not hot and bothered if our minors don't reach the final i honestly don't care where the final is staged i'll probably go to the Munster hurling final instead.

Cosmo, Yes it's a shame that the Hyde has been let go the way it has in the last few years when it was redeveloped in the mid 90s it was one of the finest stadiums in Connacht but nothing has been done on it since because as we have no money.

Criostlinn, The buckets collections are not for ground development merely to pay off the huge debts that accrued from been poorly run over the years for example Castlerea business John Murphy helped out by giving a million in order that it's paid back to him.

So you re attitude is to tell people to stay at home if they don t want to go to the Hyde? Nice. I dunno what part of Ros you are in but try driving to Belmullet ( by the time you are in Strokestown more than half way to Dublin - time wise anyway)  or Clifden sometime.

As regards watchin it on the telly it is only something I resorted to once before for a Connacht final but it will be an option for a lot of people. Why is so important to you that finals would be held in the Hyde. The idea that Ros is central because it borders the rest is laughable - look at the size of Mayo and Galway, how far Leitrim goes north. Now if anything Roscommon people are spoiled by being very close to Castlebar, Carrick, Sligo and Tuam. The hurling crowd in South Galway are closer to the Hyde than most of the football province. I still dont understand why ye think finals should be there but to tell people to stay home and watch it on the telly if they don t like the arrangement is some arrogance.
The more I think about it the more I feel like watchin this one on the telly, if it s in Hyde or Pearse

I'm not telling anyone to stay at home i was referred to you (as you can see in the above quote) who thinks it's too much of hassle to travel but i doubt others will have your attitude.

If your picking a central location for Connacht finals it has to suit all counties & for example Hyde park is closer to Leitrim than Salthill or Castlebar is.

Yeah and realistically how many Connacht finals do Leitrim get to. And it is no closer to Kinlough than Castlebar by much I d say.

As regards you re dab hand at editing my quote b- great - but apologies that it wasn t obviously a 'tongue in cheek' remark.

I don t think the Con. Council have to worry about my attendance. I ve even been at neutral Connacht Championship matches in the Hyde, Tuam and Mark. down the years goin back to the 78 decider in Pearse St. I ve enjoyed those games as much as many involving Mayo. I managed to get to the Hyde last year so not exactly deterred by bad weather. And chances are that I ll be there again and wont moan too much. Not me the CC are fretting about. I m a fixture ( I'm there 99% of the time). It s the thousands that are iffy and will be swayed by weather and location that s their baby. The CC knows that they have to get as many arses on seats as they can for the big gig of the year. Money talks and bullshit ........ and all that. And Connacht football needs every bob going.

After all this shite now I m hoping we go to the Hyde and not have any bullshit hanging over us. Castlebar would have been gravy for both teams but a bit of gruel never did anybody any harm. I hope we can take them there and have a first round or semi in McHale Park against them next year.

ross4life

As it stands we have three neutral venues for Leitrim,Sligo tell me which one are more central? & Lar ye spent enough money already on Mchale park & Prenty's place than to even consider building a central stadium & centre of excellence for all of Connacht yeah right.... that's why Leitrim,Sligo have their own centres already.

Yeah and realistically how many Connacht finals do Leitrim get to. And it is no closer to Kinlough than Castlebar by much I d say.

As regards you re dab hand at editing my quote b- great - but apologies that it wasn t obviously a 'tongue in cheek' remark.

I don t think the Con. Council have to worry about my attendance. I ve even been at neutral Connacht Championship matches in the Hyde, Tuam and Mark. down the years goin back to the 78 decider in Pearse St. I ve enjoyed those games as much as many involving Mayo. I managed to get to the Hyde last year so not exactly deterred by bad weather. And chances are that I ll be there again and wont moan too much. Not me the CC are fretting about. I m a fixture ( I'm there 99% of the time). It s the thousands that are iffy and will be swayed by weather and location that s their baby. The CC knows that they have to get as many arses on seats as they can for the big gig of the year. Money talks and bullshit ........ and all that. And Connacht football needs every bob going.

After all this shite now I m hoping we go to the Hyde and not have any bullshit hanging over us. Castlebar would have been gravy for both teams but a bit of gruel never did anybody any harm. I hope we can take them there and have a first round or semi in McHale Park against them next year.

I didn't pick up on your "'tongue in cheek' remark but i accept your apology  ;)

If Leitrim get us or Sligo in semi finals then they have a 50% of reaching finals. You think by having this final in Mchale automatically means a higher attendance? I'm not so sure, last year's Ros v Mayo had 25,000 (it wasn't full) & i think this years final will be doing well to get close to that attendance regardless of where it's played.

Like yourself I've been to many finals over the last few decades & i'd say i've been neutral more times than you. Anyways if you believe in omens? 96/97 Was Mayo's last back to back Connacht titles the 1997 final was v Sligo in Hyde park. Sligo have never won a Connacht title in Salthill but have in other venues.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Barney

Back in Ireland after a year travelling. Delighted to see the lads in red and green going well.

That article in the Indo appears to say that Castlebar is a "done deal". If Sligo County Board are happy to play it in McHale Park we are more than happy to oblige them.

highorlow

QuoteBack in Ireland after a year travelling

The eagle has landed. Welcome back.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Cosmo Kramer

Looks like theres a strong chance now that common sense might be about to prevail here. And I'm pleased that it will be on Sligo's terms as well, it's only fair and this way they can have no complaints about going to Castlebar as they have willingly agreed to it, and will no doubt benefit significantly in financial terms, as they deserve to.

Welcome back Barney.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Mano

Common sense is you honour an agreement that was made. If SCC wave the white flag (i don't think they will) to blackmail from the Connacht Council then they should resign their elected positions en masse.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ross4life on June 27, 2012, 01:30:16 AM
As it stands we have three neutral venues for Leitrim,Sligo tell me which one are more central? & Lar ye spent enough money already on Mchale park & Prenty's place than to even consider building a central stadium & centre of excellence for all of Connacht yeah right.... that's why Leitrim,Sligo have their own centres already.

I didn't pick up on your "'tongue in cheek' remark but i accept your apology  ;)

If Leitrim get us or Sligo in semi finals then they have a 50% of reaching finals. You think by having this final in Mchale automatically means a higher attendance? I'm not so sure, last year's Ros v Mayo had 25,000 (it wasn't full) & i think this years final will be doing well to get close to that attendance regardless of where it's played.

Like yourself I've been to many finals over the last few decades & i'd say i've been neutral more times than you. Anyways if you believe in omens? 96/97 Was Mayo's last back to back Connacht titles the 1997 final was v Sligo in Hyde park. Sligo have never won a Connacht title in Salthill but have in other venues.
It looks like you were overly optimistic about the Hyde's redevelopment being completed in time.
McHale is probably going to get the gig.
That may be an unpalatable fact for some but another fact is that there is no practical alternative.
I'm none to sure that there will be a full- capacity attendance there either. There was sweet damn all interest in the Mayo/Leitrim game in the county as far as I could see. Maybe it's a case going to the well for water and finding there's a hole in the bucket once again for Mayo's long-suffering supporters. Unless this year's side shows they have some potential Mayo folk will stay with the silage harvesting or continue sneaking turf outa their bogs or whatever.
With regard to the craic out in Bekan, I know there ain't going to be a stadium built there in the near future but if a cub of the Celtic Tiger ever shows up, maybe sense will prevail.
The only counties in the republic that appear to have the resources to go it alone are Kerry, Cork, Dublin and probably Kildare. Maybe Meath also at a pinch.
Up north, the gravy train that is the GFA continues to pump community funds into the coffers of the GAA.  Tyrone is making full us of their divvy out and I think Armagh and Derry will make up ground in the near distant future as Sligo John, me oul' buddie would say.
Against that, Sligo and Leitrim have decided to go it alone. They'll be passing the bucket about at home games for a long while yet- taking the crumbs from the tables of a number of deserving charities in the process. Ye can wake me up when either of them can show that its development scheme is showing positive results. 

BTW; welcome back, Barney.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

magpie seanie

Jaysus Lar that's awful shite talk. A Connacht Centre of Excellence in Bekan is as useful to Sligo and Leitrim county teams as a chocolate teapot. Sligo has to develop its own, no one will give us one. As for the craic about taking money from deserving charities - I'm surprised at a comment like that from you and very disappointed.

I agree with Mano. It's highly unlikely Sligo will agree to McHale, actually it's even more unlikely than that. Hyde Park will do. No attendance records are about to be broken. In the end Mayo will feel "wronged" even though nothing will have been done to slight them. It would suit them better to be good at the psychology in September....

sligoman2

I would be shocked and disappointed if Cyril and co give in here. 
We shouldnt be influenced by a few schekels from prenty & co
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Barney

Surely at this stage Markevicz is at a capacity that could cater for the crowd? There has been a lot of improvement work over the last 20 years. The stand is a bit of a disaster but would 20k not fit into the grounds? It would be a much better spectacle in a crowded Sligo than half empty Castlebar.

Cosmo Kramer

Have heard a story that, depending on the attendance, Sligo would be in line to receive between 30 and 50% of Mayo GAAs take from hosting the fixture and they wouldn't have to even turn a key in a gate to get it. That must be tempting for the Sligo board against the Hyde/Pearse alternative of not getting a penny and still not getting the game at home. This could go either way.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

moysider

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 27, 2012, 01:37:29 PM
Have heard a story that, depending on the attendance, Sligo would be in line to receive between 30 and 50% of Mayo GAAs take from hosting the fixture and they wouldn't have to even turn a key in a gate to get it. That must be tempting for the Sligo board against the Hyde/Pearse alternative of not getting a penny and still not getting the game at home. This could go either way.

Wow. That is some bargaining if it is true.

I suspect this shite is going to create a martyr complex in Sligo. If they dont want to go to Castlebar so be it. Better now to get it over and done with in the Hyde/Pearse even if it means both counties will lose out financially.