Mayo V Sligo - Connaught senior final - July 15th

Started by sligoman2, June 25, 2012, 12:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Munnelly is in New Zealand. Kilcoyne is working in England and will return for club championship games only.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hardy on July 18, 2012, 10:53:32 AM
Leathan le leathan; caol le caol.

I said this one day in work when one of my colleagues was struggling to spell Caitriona. Well they thought I was from outer space! No-one had ever heard the term!

moysider

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 18, 2012, 02:03:48 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 18, 2012, 10:53:32 AM
Leathan le leathan; caol le caol.

I said this one day in work when one of my colleagues was struggling to spell Caitriona. Well they thought I was from outer space! No-one had ever heard the term!

They would have heard but choose not to listen. It s very uncool to try to learn Irish.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: intoDwest on July 17, 2012, 04:40:31 PM
Seanie.....do ya have his name, if ya do just post his initials.......I'm intrigued.

As for Mayo........we are struggling to field two corner forwards. If we can get McGarity anywhere near fit Move AOS to 11 and Cillian into the corner instead of Varley then we will be ok, we might not win it but it will take a really good team to knock us out.

All we can ask for any year is to be competitive and get the best out of what we have, thankfully under Horan we are that.

If Horan takes AOS out of midfield he should be shot. From what I've seen of AOS this year before Sunday was that he has learned to take the right option when passing and Sunday only confirmed this. His fielding is impeccable, although he shouldn't be trying to line up the 10yard run he got for his first kickout on Sunday, his picking of passing options was brilliant, the pass to Keegan invited him to get going and resulted in the point and his fitness and strength levels are better than ever. I can't remember being this excited about a Mayo player in a long time.

I listened to the minor match on Shannonside, the commentator was some craic, "marshmallows are soft, that was a marshmallow free", "he's in the Bronx, New York, he's gone down a blind alley"
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 18, 2012, 03:15:19 PM
Seanie.....do ya have his name, if ya do just post his initials.......I'm intrigued.

As for Mayo........we are struggling to field two corner forwards. If we can get McGarity anywhere near fit Move AOS to 11 and Cillian into the corner instead of Varley then we will be ok, we might not win it but it will take a really good team to knock us out.

All we can ask for any year is to be competitive and get the best out of what we have, thankfully under Horan we are that.

If Horan takes AOS out of midfield he should be shot. From what I've seen of AOS this year before Sunday was that he has learned to take the right option when passing and Sunday only confirmed this. His fielding is impeccable, although he shouldn't be trying to line up the 10yard run he got for his first kickout on Sunday, his picking of passing options was brilliant, the pass to Keegan invited him to get going and resulted in the point and his fitness and strength levels are better than ever. I can't remember being this excited about a Mayo player in a long time.

I listened to the minor match on Shannonside, the commentator was some craic, "marshmallows are soft, that was a marshmallow free", "he's in the Bronx, New York, he's gone down a blind alley"

Willie Hegarty, Roscommon underage coaching officer. Mastermind of your demise. Ouch.

ck

Quote from: moysider on July 17, 2012, 02:38:53 PM
Quote from: ck on July 17, 2012, 02:23:59 PM
Can anyone solve an argument? What age is Eamon O'Hara?

He s 36 and will be 37 before end of year.

37 and playing in a Connaught final. I thought those days were over. Impressive stuff.

Syferus

He was still a big presence. Clearly not hugely mobile but he spoiled Moran and O'Shea and let Sligo gather far more ball in the middle than they had for the previous 20-30 minutes. People are all gung-ho in praise for Moran and O'Shea but for me the most remarkable midfield performance of the day was O'Hara.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on July 18, 2012, 03:36:27 PM

Willie Hegarty, Roscommon underage coaching officer. Mastermind of your demise. Ouch.
I once recorded a few minutes of one of Willie's commentaries and posted the recording to a few relations in America. They wanted to know if they could buy the DVD somewhere.
I hard a hard job convincing them that Willie takes himself seriously and was only doing his job!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ross4life

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 18, 2012, 05:35:53 PM

I once recorded a few minutes of one of Willie's commentaries and posted the recording to a few relations in America. They wanted to know if they could buy the DVD somewhere.
I hard a hard job convincing them that Willie takes himself seriously and was only doing his job!

Willie can be a good laugh alright but nothing beats this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POHuXU01bOs
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 18, 2012, 05:35:53 PM

Willie and Donie Senior always have half a dozen bottles of cider at hand for games. I heard they drank one of Marty's shandies by mistake at the Galway game. Not a pretty sight.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Syferus on July 18, 2012, 05:34:12 PM
He was still a big presence. Clearly not hugely mobile but he spoiled Moran and O'Shea and let Sligo gather far more ball in the middle than they had for the previous 20-30 minutes. People are all gung-ho in praise for Moran and O'Shea but for me the most remarkable midfield performance of the day was O'Hara.

Have the Rossies forgiven O'Hara at last? He was the most hated Sligoman in Roscommon for years for a while there.

seanog

Not at all in agreement with that, his boldest move of the day was to pick the lightest Mayo player on the pitch and give him a good dig with his forearm on the ground (kevin mcgloughlin).

Moran was motm with most pundits, O Se was instrumental when coming on and you talk of presence , well that was midfield presence at best.

Syferus

Quote from: seanog on July 19, 2012, 02:29:18 PM

Not at all in agreement with that, his boldest move of the day was to pick the lightest Mayo player on the pitch and give him a good dig with his forearm on the ground (kevin mcgloughlin).

Moran was motm with most pundits, O Se was instrumental when coming on and you talk of presence , well that was midfield presence at best.

What I mean by 'remarkable' is it was more impressive to see a 37 year-old still having as much impact as he did against such a good midfield pairing. Obviously over the course of the game Moran was MotM and O'Shea probably did more.

sligoman2

Does this look eerily similar to the content of this years Connacht final thread. I had a good laugh reading it earlier today
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

ck