Mayo V Sligo - Connaught senior final - July 15th

Started by sligoman2, June 25, 2012, 12:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogerMilla

Quote from: moysider on June 27, 2012, 01:55:11 PM
Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 27, 2012, 01:37:29 PM
Have heard a story that, depending on the attendance, Sligo would be in line to receive between 30 and 50% of Mayo GAAs take from hosting the fixture and they wouldn't have to even turn a key in a gate to get it. That must be tempting for the Sligo board against the Hyde/Pearse alternative of not getting a penny and still not getting the game at home. This could go either way.

Wow. That is some bargaining if it is true.

I suspect this shite is going to create a martyr complex in Sligo. If they dont want to go to Castlebar so be it. Better now to get it over and done with in the Hyde/Pearse even if it means both counties will lose out financially.

lets see how it plays out , if it suits the sligo county board better to play in castlebar then why shouldnt everyone benefit...

except for the rossies like ...  ;)

Syferus

The only reason it'll suit better is if the Sligo board is bought off and it'd take a very blinkered GAA supporter to not see what a terrible precedent that sets.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

sligoman2

Good man farandeelin

How about marking Kelly?

Will it be Taylor and Mcmanus at midfield or will Mullen get the start?

Is O'hara back?
What's up with Coen?
Will Johny Davey make the starting lineup?
Where will it be played?
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

TyrionLannister

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 27, 2012, 04:53:16 PM
Good man farandeelin

How about marking Kelly?

Is O'hara back?
What's up with Coen?
Where will it be played?

Will Aidan O Shea be fit?
Will Ronan McGarrity start?
Will Vaughan be Centre Back?
Will Richie Feeney start?
Who will mark Alan Cos?
Is Cillian O Connor a Centre Forward?
Are these my feet?

mayo.mick

Quote from: TyrionLannister on June 27, 2012, 04:58:10 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on June 27, 2012, 04:53:16 PM
Good man farandeelin

How about marking Kelly?

Is O'hara back?
What's up with Coen?
Where will it be played?

Will Aidan O Shea be fit?
Will Ronan McGarrity start?
Will Vaughan be Centre Back?
Will Richie Feeney start?
Who will mark Alan Cos?
Is Cillian O Connor a Centre Forward?
Are these my feet?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

IolarCoisCuain

Have heard a story that, depending on the attendance, Sligo would be in line to receive between 30 and 50% of Mayo GAAs take from hosting the fixture and they wouldn't have to even turn a key in a gate to get it. That must be tempting for the Sligo board against the Hyde/Pearse alternative of not getting a penny and still not getting the game at home. This could go either way.

Why would the Mayo Board want the game in Castlebar if they're going to give away so much of the gate?

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on June 27, 2012, 08:09:37 PM

Why would the Mayo Board want the game in Castlebar if they're going to give away so much of the gate?

They would still get a lot more than they would get out of anywhere elase. The game would bring a bigger attendance as well. Even 1000 paying adults extra is 20-25 grand. More gravy for everybody.

Captain Obvious

If they can get it every team would want a home game.

moysider

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 27, 2012, 08:24:05 PM

If they can get it every team would want a home game.

It s a once off. Mayo s turn to play Sligo at home but an arrangement means finals involving Sligo played at a neutral venue. But the obvious venue - Hyde Park - seems to be considered not up to hosting this for reason/s not clear to me. If the Hyde is out then the only alternative is Pearse stadium in Galway - which is the nightmare scenario even though it might appear fairer than playing it in Castlebar.

For the Connacht Council money raises its ugly head as well. This was properly not fully thought out when the arrangement was made back in 1997. A lot has changed since. Back then Tuam was in the equation as a neutral venue. Whatever about its capacity the pitch itself seems to have issues like astroturf penalty areas. Simply means a match in Pearse Stadium could cost the CC at least 100,000 bucks and maybe a lot more.

At this stage though, I d like the whole thing to be above board and transparent as possible so hopefully the Hyde can be sorted out and play it there. Otherwise we ll never hear the end of it no matter what deal is struck.

Syferus

One problem with the 1997 arrangement is that rather than both teams having equal say in the decision you have counties taking turns being in charge of the venue. If it's not the Hyde then the question will always linger about where the game would have been played if Sligo were the county taking the lead - there's every possibility that Mayo are telling them they're not happy that the Hyde satisfies their needs and that the only neutral venue available is Salthill, which would force Sligo's hand on a geographical level before talk of more tickets money even enters the equation.

baoithe

Jesus I thought this was just a bit of craic when this thread started - surprised it has become such an issue.

Does the monies taken at the gate of a Connacht final not go to the Connacht Council?

neilthemac

Quote from: baoithe on June 27, 2012, 09:07:35 PM
Jesus I thought this was just a bit of craic when this thread started - surprised it has become such an issue.

Does the monies taken at the gate of a Connacht final not go to the Connacht Council?

the county hosting the final gets a cut of the gate
think its 10%

if this stunt is pulled by the Mayo county board and john prenty, I mean connacht council, it will make a mockery of democratic decisions made in the past.
I think the business people in Roscommon will be furious. Mayo gets enough tourists, Roscommon could do with the extra revenue as the county is on its knees economically

baoithe

Also was the White elephant at the Leitrim game and ironic joke by Elverys?