Connacht Senior club championship 2011

Started by ross4life, September 26, 2011, 06:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spuds

Quote from: Jinxy on November 20, 2011, 08:49:41 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 20, 2011, 08:38:50 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on November 20, 2011, 08:36:50 PM
Lads are there two Marty Duffys?
Only saw a snippet at the end of the news but it wasn't the Marty Duffy (who we all know and love).

No it was Liam Devanney. Somebody thought it was Duffy earlier and it kinda grew legs by itself.

So lads that didn't even see the game are giving out about a ref that didn't even ref the game.

Was myself that thought it was Daffy Duffy, he looked like him I thought. My comments on Devanney's reffing stand.
Quote from: ross matt on November 20, 2011, 08:33:51 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 20, 2011, 08:23:29 PM
Some of the Rossies here would want to have watched the match with their other eye open as well. If the shoe was on the other foot they would be going tonto.

If the shoe was on the other foot and a bunch of rossies did what some of the corofin supporters did to the ref after the match you'd be the first one taking the high morale ground. I'm amazed you were'nt abused from the tv by the random Rossie supporter that you always meet when a Galway side loses to a Roscommon one. Dont choke in on the sour grapes tonight.
Think that is unfair, he is only saying what others here have also said. You are just having a cheap shot here because he is a Galway poster. Why not comment on Lone Shark's balanced post instead of having a pop with that crap.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

bridgegael

only saw the last five mins of the match,  no real bad decisions or talking points from wat i saw.  now because there was only a point in it, i had a feeling that the ref would be targeted after the match.  where did the stewards go?? why did it take so long to get to him?
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

moysider

Only saw a snippet at the end of the news but it wasn't the Marty Duffy (who we all know and love).

Don t know how Marty Duffy was dragged into this. His brother was doin the line. Michael.

Feel sorry for Liam Devenney tbh. This would have been a big game for him too and he certainly would not have gone out to shaft anybody. Imagine family havin to watch those scenes at the end too. As somebody who toyed around with the idea of refereeing when I was younger, I m glad I had more sense. It s a thankless job - and a dangerous one too.

I ll balance that by saying I ve been very annoyed with refs in the past. Compared to some of the cowboys out there, today's ref performance wasn t that bad. I d say he was calling it as he saw it, without bias. The call on the disallowed goal could have been for the foul on the defender - it wasn t a square ball. If he thought it was, then he honestly thought it was. Maybe he got it wrong bur refs usually have to make a call on these from 30/40 metres away. How can you do this with certainty? The cute old refs blow early before the forward makes contact just to avoid a scene. But often the call then is wrong as well. The simple solution is to get rid of this rule.

As well as that in any match with a point or two margin there will always be decisions that may have decided the game. It happens in all sports. We ve all had to grin a bear a few.  The Welsh team had to suffer a borderline decision in the World Cup, but fans did not try to lynck the ref.

But the lack of respect towards refs in our football is concerning. Who would want to put themselves through that?

mouview

Quote from: ross matt on November 20, 2011, 08:30:09 PM
Well done to Brigids. The better footballing side. However from talking to brigids supporters who were there it was clear the ref was'nt up to it and his bad decisions cost Corofin more than the Kiltoom side. Overall though Corofin are a dour physical side who are not reflective of Galway football. I watched some of it on TV and saw Damien Burke put in a tackle with the boot today that he got sent off for in the Galway championship this year. Clearly the ref was overly concerned about things boiling over.

Hmm.. not entirely sure Brigid's were better footballing side, some of Corofin's scores from play were very good examples of teamwork. Corofin are often dour, though whether or not they're properly reflective of Galway club football which is usually rubbish anyway is a moot point. In fairness the football they played v Tuam in the county final was very good and not of their normal variety. Corofin's 'downfall' today was their inability to tackle cleanly and not allow any contact to be (mis)construed as a foul. Damien Burke has long been very poor in this dept. This doesn't excure the referee's display however which was simply appalling.

ross matt

Quote from: spuds on November 20, 2011, 09:03:43 PM

No it was Liam Devanney. Somebody thought it was Duffy earlier and it kinda grew legs by itself.

So lads that didn't even see the game are giving out about a ref that didn't even ref the game.

Was myself that thought it was Daffy Duffy, he looked like him I thought. My comments on Devanney's reffing stand.
Some of the Rossies here would want to have watched the match with their other eye open as well. If the shoe was on the other foot they would be going tonto.

If the shoe was on the other foot and a bunch of rossies did what some of the corofin supporters did to the ref after the match you'd be the first one taking the high morale ground. I'm amazed you were'nt abused from the tv by the random Rossie supporter that you always meet when a Galway side loses to a Roscommon one. Dont choke in on the sour grapes tonight.
Think that is unfair, he is only saying what others here have also said. You are just having a cheap shot here because he is a Galway poster. Why not comment on Lone Shark's balanced post instead of having a pop with that crap.

Not unfair. This guy has form. He is like a character from a sawdocters song. For what its worth I've the height of respect for Galway football and what its contributed to the game. The complete opposite to his opinion on Ross football.

ross matt

Quote from: mouview on November 20, 2011, 10:36:34 PM
Quote from: ross matt on November 20, 2011, 08:30:09 PM
Well done to Brigids. The better footballing side. However from talking to brigids supporters who were there it was clear the ref was'nt up to it and his bad decisions cost Corofin more than the Kiltoom side. Overall though Corofin are a dour physical side who are not reflective of Galway football. I watched some of it on TV and saw Damien Burke put in a tackle with the boot today that he got sent off for in the Galway championship this year. Clearly the ref was overly concerned about things boiling over.

Hmm.. not entirely sure Brigid's were better footballing side, some of Corofin's scores from play were very good examples of teamwork. Corofin are often dour, though whether or not they're properly reflective of Galway club football which is usually rubbish anyway is a moot point. In fairness the football they played v Tuam in the county final was very good and not of their normal variety. Corofin's 'downfall' today was their inability to tackle cleanly and not allow any contact to be (mis)construed as a foul. Damien Burke has long been very poor in this dept. This doesn't excure the referee's display however which was simply appalling.
Gaway football at club and county has been poor but when at its best its attacking and attractive. I think Bridgets are a far better example of this than  Corofin therefore I would consider them the better footballing side.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ross matt on November 20, 2011, 11:03:14 PM
Quote from: spuds on November 20, 2011, 09:03:43 PM

Not unfair. This guy has form. He is like a character from a sawdocters song. For what its worth I've the height of respect for Galway football and what its contributed to the game. The complete opposite to his opinion on Ross football.

I don't have any opinion on Roscommon football matt. None at all. I just thought some of the Rossie posters were a bit too keen to quickly overlook the performance of the referee in a one point game especially when there has barely been a neutral who saw the game that didn't think he was absolutely brutal. Especially for one side. That's all.

You seem to have held a grudge against me for years because I happened to once mention getting dog's abuse from Roscommon fans after a game (unpleasant but unfortunately also very true). Doesn't mean I think all Roscommon fans are like that no more than the Corofin fans today. Some people lose the heads in defeat and sometimes even victory. I thought you had gotten over that but maybe not. I don't take any abuse personally though. Sure we're only talking football.

Mayo4Sam

Jeez lads there's some awful blinkered people watching this match. The ref was terrible for both sides, he clearly decided that it was a big game and he didn't want it to get out of hand, which it could easily have given last yrs final and the close manner of it. So he decided to pull for everything when he probably should have just let it go a bit and sent off two lads if it looked like it was going south, 7 from Corofin & 10 from SB would have been a start. I think any neutral watching would say he probably gave decisions to SB that were more decisive, thems the breaks, he was poor but ultimately unbiased IMO.

At the end Corofin had plenty of chances to go to ET, Burke didn't want to stand up and be counted, among others, but he's a county player & you'd expect more.

Best of luck to the Connacht champions from here on in.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ross matt

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 20, 2011, 11:41:44 PM
Jeez lads there's some awful blinkered people watching this match. The ref was terrible for both sides, he clearly decided that it was a big game and he didn't want it to get out of hand, which it could easily have given last yrs final and the close manner of it. So he decided to pull for everything when he probably should have just let it go a bit and sent off two lads if it looked like it was going south, 7 from Corofin & 10 from SB would have been a start. I think any neutral watching would say he probably gave decisions to SB that were more decisive, thems the breaks, he was poor but ultimately unbiased IMO.

At the end Corofin had plenty of chances to go to ET, Burke didn't want to stand up and be counted, among others, but he's a county player & you'd expect more.

Excellent post.

Abble

Quote from: ross matt on November 20, 2011, 11:56:12 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 20, 2011, 11:41:44 PM

Excellent post.

plus in fairness and i think most would agree....but there's not another ref in the country who'd have wanted that game yesterday, there's only so much a ref can do at the end of the day.

Barney

Maybe the Corofin supporters should just have accepted it like the Kerry supporters did when Joe McQuillan robbed them. The ref was only responsible for one side of those beatings. The teams blew it themselves.

There are far too many refs getting these big games though. How many are on the national panel? I know there are big numbers needed for the club championships and the national leagues but so many are substandard that it is at crisis point. They are never accountable and maybe the GAA should start more rigorous assessment rather than political appointments by Boards and provincial councils.

moysider

True Barney but younger refs have to learn their trade as well, and they wont develop just doing local games. Devenney would be seen as a top prospect but after yesterday will he bother.

DuffleKing

He shouldn't bother - he's brutal.
If a junior b player got a run for the county he'd know himself he's way below the standard

Buckass

Abble:....there's only so much a ref can do at the end of the day. 

:D :D :D

StoneWall

To be honest when I tuned in to TG4 yesterday I was amazed to see Liam Devanney as the ref. Anytime I have seen Devanney in action in club games in Mayo he is blatantly biased towards the home team and overall is a poor ref. Any marginal calls yesterday went to St Bridgets. I take the various points about referring being a tough job but there has to be a certain standard especially for a big game like this.

Corofin had chances at the end to force extra time but no one wanted to take the responsibility. Best of luck to Bridgets against the London champs.