Mayo V Kerry semi final

Started by Milltown Row2, July 31, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Little bollix in black = 3 points

Poor decision making at critical times = anything from 3 -10 points.

Very disappointed. Wont criticise my own players, they have put in a massive effort this season.

Proud of Horan, Nallen & co.

MWWSI 2017

ONeill

For all the Kerry platitudes, the Kingdom were there for the taking. I was amazed at Kerry's tactics early on - bombing the ball on top of Donaghy who was getting cleaned out. Even the likes of O'Mahony was panicking and lumping stupid balls onto someone who was getting roasted. On 25 minutes it was 0-5 to 0-3 to the West and that was Mayo's cue to turn the screw. Their defence was on top. Kerry were overcooking passes, hitting crazy wides albeit under pressure, and Moran had the chance to put daylight between them. Cooper was being smothered, getting blocked on the ball and seemed to be off the boil. The Kerry nightmare of the failed twin tower assault in 08 was being revisited. For some reason Cooper, the only man who could recue them, was given the room to do what he wanted for the last 7-8 mins of the half.

Mayo have themselves to blame. They also spurned 3 goal chances in the second half in 5 minutes although Moran's effort off the post was from a difficult angle. Kerry went 15 minutes in the second half without even looking like scoring but Mayo had no cool heads out there, especially around the middle third. Moran was there to be hit every time but the likes of Freeman gave away silly ball.

I think Mayo eased off Cooper when they saw he was struggling by 20 mins and paid the price.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jinxy

I don't think they eased off Cooper they just stopped doing what they were doing in the first half.
I think Horan realised that they weren't going to win by trying to simply containing Kerry so they adopted a more attacking formation.
That's when Gooch got the run of the field.
Mayo don't have the class of forwards that can convert a very high % of their chances plus the midfield pairing contributed very little.
Kerry were made to look very good in the 2nd half.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ross matt

Hard luck to Mayo and congrats to deserving winners Kerry. If they had taken their early chances they would have been home and dry after 5 minutes. As O'Neill said they then went through a period of total aimless kicking in to Donaghy who was cleaned by the excellent Cafferky. They were there for the taking. Declan O'Sullivan was very poor also and Vaughan scored 3 poiints from play off him. But Mayo couldnt make hay when they had a chance. Moran spurned 3 goal chances but maybe should have been content with a point for 2 of them.

Overall I was disappointed with Mayo. Expected more. Horan set his stall out for damage limitation and achieved that up to half time but never looked like they could kick on. They fouled an incredible amount. Higgins should buy a lotto ticket cause thats two matches this year where he should have gotten a straight red.

McGarrity made matter worse at midfield and both O'se (particular Aidan) looked cumbersome on the ball and totally off the pace. This against a Kerry midfield that is only so so in nationals standards.

I know O'Rourke waxed lyrical after about some of the greatest players of all time playing for Kerry but I think some of them were poor today and Cooper got a free rein. Tom O'Se had the ball all to himself and Marc will not be so lucky v the likes of the Brogan Bros if he gives them as much goal chances as he did Moran (yes I do expect the Dubs to beat Donegal).

Galvin scored 2 good points but also turned over alot of ball and was rusty. However he will improve and so will Kerry. They are not as good a side as 04/06/08 though and provided the Dubs do progress as they expect they will fancy their chances.

I was wrong about McGarrity being a trump card as I was about many of the positive aspects of Mayo leading in to todays match. I dont see the justification for being proud of them or Connacht football in general that is evident in alot of the posts here tonight. That being said they did win Connacht and beat Cork so it was a year of progress for them. But they and us Rossies behind them again are a good bit off the elite level yet. Disappointing day for Connacht overall.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

ONeill

Quote from: Jinxy on August 22, 2011, 12:35:48 AM
I don't think they eased off Cooper they just stopped doing what they were doing in the first half.

That's a contradiction in my book.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ross matt

Quote from: muppet on August 22, 2011, 12:53:48 AM
Quote from: ross matt on August 22, 2011, 12:40:52 AM
I dont see the justification for being proud of them or Connacht football in general that is evident in alot (sic) of the posts here tonight.

No need spit out the dummy Muppet. Read my post and you will see I put us and the rest of Connacht behind ye. Genuinely wanted ye to do well and hard luck sentiments also genuine but if you're that bitter about it then fair enough. Thruth hurts I guess.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

ross matt

Quote from: muppet on August 22, 2011, 01:08:43 AM
Quote from: ross matt on August 22, 2011, 01:06:50 AM
Thruth hurts I guess.

Yes it does.

That and spelling tests.

Oh right. I see. Bad spelling makes you bitter. You're drunk (I imagine) and I've work in the morning. Night night. Roll on 2012 championship.

gerry

i see galvin had his dress making scissors out again

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Farrandeelin

Pretty much all has been said before now. Thought we did well for the first 25 but, like ONeill said, didn't sustain it. I'm really disappointed with the scoreline. The fact that Kerry were thhere for the taking and still lose by 9  points makesit more harrowing of a loss. Midfield didn't perform at all yesterday. Backs stopped doing their stuff in 2nd half. Forwards had beating of their men but correct ball wasn't been delivered due to the ineffectiveness of mf.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

sheamy

Quote from: Jinxy on August 22, 2011, 12:35:48 AM
I think Horan realised that they weren't going to win by trying to simply containing Kerry so they adopted a more attacking formation.That's when Gooch got the run of the field.
Mayo don't have the class of forwards that can convert a very high % of their chances plus the midfield pairing contributed very little.
Kerry were made to look very good in the 2nd half.

Sounds like the only plausible reason for what was a suicidal decision. They were only 2 down at half time. Needed to keep it tight and play a percentage game. I couldn't believe the change in their formation. Completely threw any chances they had away with the deviation from the defensive game. They needed to be in touch going into last ten. That was the time to throw caution to the wind.

mckieran

Wow, I am little bit shocked at the amount of Mayo posters suggesting they are happy with the performance.

If ye are happy with that performance, then it tells a lot about the mentality in Mayo. And it certainly is not a 'winning mentality'. When this kind of attitude, ye will never win an AI. If Kerry were in Mayo's position yesterday, do you think their fans would be happy with the performance?

heffo

Quote from: ross matt on August 22, 2011, 12:40:52 AM

provided the Dubs do progress as they expect they will fancy their chances.

No-one in Dublin expects anything apart from a very tough game next Sunday. Let's not be telling other counties what they expect.

Barney

Ah it's frustrating and gutting but the season has to be seen as a success. It cannot be forgotten where we have come from - comfortably beaten by Sligo and Longford to an All Ireland semi-final is a massive jump. I'm not "happy" with losing by 9 points yesterday and at times you simply have to put up your hand and say well done to the opposition, the better team won. And Kerry were the better team.

Little mistakes were badly punished and the three points we gave away just before half-time were annoying and the changing of the game. When the Gooch went up unchallenged to field a ball at the 30 yard line he grew in confidence after that and the rest is history.

I think the rational Mayo fans (being about 90%) are well aware that this is not a season that you look on as an All Ireland being thrown away. There was a small chance of sneaking one - it was always unlikely and we are not ready yet.

But we have a manager who has a sense of direction of where he wants this panel to go. He has brought in a style of play that does need to be adjusted. We need 3/4 new players to improve things further and just need the lads to keep at the hard work they put in this year and go at it again and see where it takes them. I think we are firmly in the top 6/7 teams in the country and that there are going to be opportunities in the next 4/5 years for new teams to emerge. There is no reason why that cannot be ourselves.

At the start of the season the management and panel had 3 goals -

- stay in Division 1.
- win a Connacht championship.
- win a game in Croke Park.

All three were achieved. On top of that we have quality young players who have rediscovered their confidence. Cillian O'Connor has slotted into the team very well at such a young age and looks to be a solution to our freetaking issues. Aidan O'Shea, although frustrating at times, has now played a championship at midfield and he has potential to improve. Donal Vaughan has played 3 months football all year and has improved all the time. He looks like he can hold down the number 6 jersey. Ger Cafferkey has rediscovered his form and potential and is still our best option at number 3. In Andy, Alan and Trevor we have experienced leaders.

All in all there is more to come from our lads.