The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Hound on July 04, 2007, 03:59:26 PM
The actual fee for Torres is EUR 30 million, so thats about STG£20.5m. Garcia was sold for about £4m, so Liverpool have to give cash of £16.5m. 
£20.5m is not bad at all when compared to other transfers so far this summer:

Owen Hargreaves £17m
Darren Bent £16.5m
Anderson £20.4m
Nani £17.3m

Where did you make them figures up??

Anderson & Nani's fees are undisclosed, yet are thought to be £30 for the pair combined!! - Also I'd imagine this is the highest figures that will be paid for the pair, considering how how successful MAN UTD are & also themselves personally!

Not sure if this is the case with Torres if talk of the release clause is true?

Hound

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on July 04, 2007, 04:06:02 PM
Quote from: Hound on July 04, 2007, 03:59:26 PM
The actual fee for Torres is EUR 30 million, so thats about STG£20.5m. Garcia was sold for about £4m, so Liverpool have to give cash of £16.5m. 
£20.5m is not bad at all when compared to other transfers so far this summer:

Owen Hargreaves £17m
Darren Bent £16.5m
Anderson £20.4m
Nani £17.3m

Where did you make them figures up??

Anderson & Nani's fees are undisclosed, yet are thought to be £30 for the pair combined!! - Also I'd imagine this is the highest figures that will be paid for the pair, considering how how successful MAN UTD are & also themselves personally!

Not sure if this is the case with Torres if talk of the release clause is true?
I don't make stuff up! (that'd be you with your £30m  ???   ).

Here's the link:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article2017636.ece

What the hell has United being successful got to do with anything. ManU always overpay for players. When you've buckets of money its doesnt really matter if you get ripped off, so long as the player does a job when he comes in.

Atletico accepted an amount for less than the release clause because Torres told them he wanted to move to Liverpool, and Atletico think they're getting a good deal for Garcia.

corn02

To be fair I don't think they were getting a great deal for Garcia, would doubt they would of paid anymore, he only cost us £6 million and is 29.

£20 million is excellent business for a 23 year old striker who is tipped for massive success. He may not have a super scoring record but let us not forget he was not exactly playing with a team who would provide the best service. The £26.5 million figure probbably come from somehwere and I would expect this could be the final fee based on goals / apperances.

Did anyone see the press conference? Looks like Bellamy will be gone.

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteThe £26.5 million figure probbably come from somehwere and I would expect this could be the final fee based on goals / apperances.

From what I understand £20M is the final fee. I think any extra money would come from Liverpool winning Champions League or Premiership titles. In which case we'll gladly pay the extra cash.

Official interview here.

In his first interview in English football, Fernando Torres talks to Liverpoolfc.tv about signing for the Reds, goals targets and his famous You'll Never Walk Alone captain's armband.
You've just put pen to paper Fernando, how does it feel?

I am very, very happy. This was the biggest decision of my footballing life but I've come to a winning club. This is a club of champions - one of the biggest there is. I now want to play my part in that and be a champion too and help the club progress.

How much do you know about Liverpool Football Club?

Obviously growing up in Spain you are aware of all the big clubs there, but you also keep an eye on Europe, and Liverpool always catches the eye. It always did for me. I had older brothers who'd tell me about the likes of Keegan and Rush, but the first players I remember seeing as a fan are players like Robbie Fowler. My main memory is seeing Liverpool's incredible record in Europe, and I certainly followed that closely.

When did you first hear of Liverpool's interest in you?

It was just a couple of weeks ago, it's all happened very quickly. I was aware of offers from other clubs but as soon as I knew Liverpool were interested I said to Atletico: "Look, please listen to this offer." There were many clubs being banded around. Offers go directly to Atletico, so I wouldn't necessarily know about them, but as soon as I heard about Liverpool, I told them that Anfield was the only place I was interested in.

Why did Liverpool stand out for you?

I'm aware of the history and how special this club is. The tragedies that have happened have made the bond between the fans and the club so strong. Liverpool just ticks all the boxes for me. There's team spirit and a desire to win instilled by Rafa, and then there's my new teammates like Pepe and Xabi. They, as well as Luis, have always spoken very positively about life here in Liverpool. I didn't speak to them directly before signing because it all happened so quickly. I've been getting planes here, there and everywhere. My other half has spoken to Pepe's other half though. She said: "We're here for you. Let us know if there is anything you need."

Tell me about the captain's armband you displayed during a game against Real Sociedad last season, with You'll Never Walk Alone written on the inside?

There is a group of my mates, about five or six of us, and we've all grown up supporting Liverpool. Because they are all so committed to Liverpool, they've had We'll Never Walk Alone tattooed on their arms. It's changed slightly because it's a symbol of our friendship as well as our support for the club. Obviously I couldn't have that tattooed on my arm playing for Atletico, but they gave me this armband as a present for my last birthday.

Why have you decided to leave Atletico now?

The time is right because Liverpool have come in for me.

Was it a difficult decision to make?

You have certain chances in life. You can't afford to miss them because they only come around once. I've been with Atletico since I was 10, I've grown up as a person and a player there. But we haven't been getting the opportunities to play in Europe and I think I now need to take that step up.

How big a factor was Rafa Benitez in your decision to come to Merseyside?

The first time I spoke to him, I was convinced. Just to know Rafa has confidence in me and trusts me is massive. I feel honoured because Liverpool are such a big club, they could have signed anyone. I am very pleased they have chosen me!

What do you know about the fans here in Liverpool, and how much are you looking forward to playing in front of the Kop?

I've spoken to many people about it and watched many DVDs, but you can't possibly know what it feels like to play at Anfield until you have experienced it. I am dying to play in front of the Kop.

Have you set yourself a goals target for your first season?

Not really, but I suppose the first target is to beat what I got in Spain. My average there was 15.

Finally, what message would you like to send to Liverpool fans?

I just want to say thank-you, because from today, day one, people have been trying to meet me at Melwood. I've also seen some at the airport. They all seem to be behind me, so I want to say thank-you very much.

GalwayBayBoy

Benítez plans to carry on spending as Torres trains sights on title

James Ducker

The intense pressure that comes with being Liverpool's record signing may have claimed plenty of victims, but Fernando Torres seemed only too happy to raise expectations yesterday, the Spain striker boldly announcing that he could be the man finally to end the club's long wait for the league title.

Having signed a six-year contract worth £90,000 a week hours after flying in from Madrid, Torres was presented amid much fanfare at Anfield and spoke of his desire to follow in the footsteps of such legendary figures as Ian Rush and Robbie Fowler.

The Times can reveal the full story behind the £20.2 million transfer that eclipses Liverpool's previous record outlay of £14.2 million for Djibril Cissé, whose No 9 shirt Torres inherits, although the deal is only likely to be the first of several eye-catching signings by Rafael Benítez as the manager seeks to end the club's 17-year wait for the championship.

Benítez is also in the hunt for a new winger, possibly two, and the indications from Portugal last night were that Ricardo Quaresma, of FC Porto, could fit the bill. Liverpool are said to have had a £13.5 million bid for the 23-year-old Portugal winger turned playmaker rejected, although a slightly improved offer could be enough to persuade the Portuguese club to sell.

Alessandro Mancini, of AS Roma, and Yossi Benayoun, the West Ham United midfield player, are also thought to be targets, while the manager is also hoping to force through a deal for Gabriel Heinze, the Argentina defender, even though Manchester United appear reluctant to sell him to their fiercest rivals.

Yesterday was all about Torres, though, and the 23-year-old forward is adamant that he can succeed where others such as Cissé, Stan Collymore and Fernando Morientes have failed.

"I'm convinced it's the right decision and hopefully this will be the year where things happen quickly and we win trophies and things turn out well personally for me," Torres, whose sale sparked demonstrations by angry supporters in Madrid, said.

"I'm aware that the expectations are really high and that people are very keen to see me score lots of goals, but I'm just as keen to fulfil all their hopes and desires and I'm confident that I will have the necessary ammunition. I'm playing in a top side and that gives me the confidence to be positive about the challenge.

"I don't have any fear of this responsibility and it's not something that worries me unduly. I know that with hard work you can overcome the pressure and reach your targets reasonably well.

"The fact that they have given me the legendary No 9 shirt that has been worn by so many great players shows they have confidence in me and that brings great responsibility."

Torres had been linked with Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United and was the subject of a firm inquiry from Old Trafford last summer, but he insists that Liverpool was the only club for which he was prepared to leave Madrid.

"It was a great opportunity. It's true I have had offers in the past, but this is the very first time I've asked Atlético to listen to any of those offers," he said. "This is the first time I have been tempted to leave.

"Liverpool are a massive club and they could literally approach anyone in the world of football, so to approach me was very special."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle2028699.ece

Yes please to Quaresma. Class player.

magpie seanie

When lads were taking the piss about how much United "paid" for Carrick they'd quote the final figure/max figure of £18.6M but now with Torres they're only on about £20.5M even though the comparable figure is £26.5M. Its gas. Still, here's hoping Liverpool don't get anywhere near paying the full fee.  ;)

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 05, 2007, 08:54:41 AM
When lads were taking the piss about how much United "paid" for Carrick they'd quote the final figure/max figure of £18.6M but now with Torres they're only on about £20.5M even though the comparable figure is £26.5M. Its gas. Still, here's hoping Liverpool don't get anywhere near paying the full fee.  ;)
Wrong Seanie, the full fee is €30m, (similar to Anderson and only a few mill more than the wonder that is Nani  ;) ), about £20m depending on what exchange rate you use

The Times, as posted above says £20.2m

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/07/05/SOCCER_Liverpool_Benitez.html
(just under £20m)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/6239286.stm
(about £20m)

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=475192&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=2&title=Reds+seal+Torres+signing
(about £20m)

There is no £26.5m and there never will be. The only way Atletico will get more money is if Liverpool sell him and make a profit.

Gabriel_Hurl

Why are you lads arguing?

Is it your money the team is spending?

Gabriel_Hurl

stolen from another forum

Three years into his managerial reign - the Liverpool manager calls a press conference to announce the signing of a new player.
The player comes with great expectations, but no english league experience.
In fact he can hardly make himself understood.
He is however a proven international, with an impressive goal scoring record.
He has captained his club at an early age and leaves his home town fans heartbroken at his departure.
There were even demonstrations by these same fans out side their own stadium.
Some of the Liverpool fans think that breaking the transfer record for this player is too great a risk.
But he wants to come to Liverpool.
He says "Its the only other club I would have considered in England".
The month is July.
The year is 1977.
The player is Kenny Dalglish.

magpie seanie

QuoteThere is no £26.5m and there never will be. The only way Atletico will get more money is if Liverpool sell him and make a profit.

Err, Hound - did you actually read those links? This bit in particular from skysports......

Liverpool have paid a club record £26.5million to land the highly-rated forward.

???

bingobus

Who gives a feck what Torres cost. We'll prob never know the true cost. If he's a flop it'll be because he didn't score goals and cost a lot of money, £5/6m won't make a difference come next May. Judge him then and only then.

I'm more than happy to get him. For Spain he has always looked dangerous and quality, more so than he did for atheltico. In Spain only two strikers have scored more than him in the 5 years he has played in Spain - Eto and Villa. Villa wasn't seen as a the quality player he is now till he joined Valencia. He's no James Beatiie or Darius Vassell.

Its big money but in Rafa I trust. It was obvious it was Rafa's first choice, as at that money he could have bought any striker.

As a side - Tevez 7 goals last year in EPL, 27 games inc sub appearances. Dirk Kuyt 12 goals last year in EPL, 34 games inc sub appearanaces.  ;)

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 05, 2007, 02:55:05 PM
QuoteThere is no £26.5m and there never will be. The only way Atletico will get more money is if Liverpool sell him and make a profit.

Err, Hound - did you actually read those links? This bit in particular from skysports......

Liverpool have paid a club record £26.5million to land the highly-rated forward.

???

Are you winding me up or are you serious??

On that link Sky say:
"Liverpool have paid a club record £20million to land the highly-rated forward. "
No mention whatsoever of £26m.

Maybe you had the same page opened yesterday when the wrong figure was quoted. Click refresh and you'll see there is unanimity over the £20m fee.

The Real Laoislad

Jaysis who gives a fiddlers f**k what he costs,once he scores 20+ a season
You'll Never Walk Alone.

magpie seanie

QuoteAre you winding me up or are you serious??

No - when I opened that page after you posted yesterday it said the £26.5M as mentioned above. When I checked it today its says £20M. Weird.

Anyway, Graham Hunter last night on Newstalk reckoned it was (including Garcia) something from £24-25.5M. If it was £20m it was great value in a market where Bent cost £16.5M. Hunter reckoned otherwise and that Athletico had done well out of it.