Amazon Rainforest fires.

Started by t_mac, August 21, 2019, 10:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t_mac

From the Bunker

Quote from: t_mac on August 21, 2019, 10:27:40 PM
Burning for weeks apparently and little reporting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-49415973

I'm afraid the sh1te is going down and the common man is not going to be told about it!

manfromdelmonte

Brazilian government is completely corrupt

t_mac

OakleafCounty

The amazon is probably one of the few areas of the world that is of such international importance that there must be a case for the UN to take control of it. Should an area of land that is so important in terms of our planets future really be owned by one country? Every country is subject to having a rogue government which Brazil has at the moment and if oil fields are important enough to go to war over then surely the Amazon is worth fighting for more?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: OakleafCounty on August 22, 2019, 09:47:32 AM
The amazon is probably one of the few areas of the world that is of such international importance that there must be a case for the UN to take control of it. Should an area of land that is so important in terms of our planets future really be owned by one country? Every country is subject to having a rogue government which Brazil has at the moment and if oil fields are important enough to go to war over then surely the Amazon is worth fighting for more?

Nothing to gain by being moral I'm afraid.

t_mac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 22, 2019, 10:43:32 AM
Quote from: OakleafCounty on August 22, 2019, 09:47:32 AM

Nothing to gain by being moral I'm afraid.

Exactly - every country's wealth is measured by their GDP, which just means sucking the planet dry more and more.

OakleafCounty

Aye but human welfare isn't or shouldn't be measured by GDP not that governments really care about that. Its just one component towards it. I suppose western countries will need a strong GDP to accommodate the 200 million people who will be displaced as a result of climate change.

t_mac

Population is expected to be 10 billion by 2050, it's crazy, the eruption of the Eyjafjallajokull volcano which grounded flights prevented the emission of near 3m tonnes of carbon dioxide going into the air, I suspect the majority of flights worldwide are the same individuals going to meetings or millionaires jet setting around the world, human activity is killing the planet.