Football team of the 90s

Started by theticklemister, August 15, 2018, 10:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Let's go big balls, have tries yourself.

I started off from scratch there, not a bad effort. Think I did well.

Are the gaa issu Bc a football team. I say they will just before football final.

dublin7

1. John O'Leary
2. Tony Scullion
3. Darren Fay
4. Brian Burns
5. Paul Curran
6. Glen Ryan
7. James Nallen
8. Anthony Tohill
9. John McDermott
10. Trevor Giles
11. Maurice Fitzgerald
12. Graham Gerghty
13. Mickey Linden
14. Peter Canavan
15. Greg Blaney

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: dublin7 on August 16, 2018, 02:31:43 PM

1. John O'Leary
2. Tony Scullion
3. Darren Fay
4. Brian Burns
5. Paul Curran
6. Glen Ryan
7. James Nallen
8. Anthony Tohill
9. John McDermott
10. Trevor Giles
11. Maurice Fitzgerald
12. Graham Gerghty
13. Mickey Linden
14. Peter Canavan
15. Greg Blaney

James Nallen was a fine player but not even in the same post code as a wing-back compared to Sean Og de Paor. Curran and de Paor were the two best wing-backs of the 90's by a handy margin.

Mayo4Sam

1. Gabriel Irwin
2. Kenneth Mortimer
3. Kevin Cahill
4. Dermot Flanagan
5. Peter Butler
6. James Nallen
7. Noel Connelly
8. TJ Kilgallen
9. Kevin Staunton
10. James Horan
11. Liam McHale
12. Maurice Sheridan
13. Kevin O'Neill
14. Ray Dempsey
15. Anthony Larry

Peter Forde and David Heaney can feel hard done by but their best football came either side of the decade. Honourable mention to Colm Mc
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

lenny

Quote from: dublin7 on August 16, 2018, 02:17:04 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 16, 2018, 12:50:25 PM
God when you hear some of the names being bandied about it makes you wonder how anyone watched football in the 90's.
Henry Downey
Greg Blayney
Paul Curran
Keith Barr
James Nallon
Charlie Redmond

Wouldn't get within an asses roar of any good team nowadays. In hindsight they were very average footballers. Of their time I suppose.

I have to agree with JoG2. You obviously didn't watch much football in the 90s. Paul Curran was a class act. He would be one of the few players on the 95 team who would make the current Dublin side. Best footballer in the country in 1995. One of the first breed of attacking wing backs in the game. Always could be relied on for a point in big games.  One of the dubs best players in the late 90s when the all the established stars such as Charlie Redmond, Keith Barr and Mick Deegan retired

I agree on paul curran. Henry downey was a top class defender at centre half back and was superb at picking the right moments to join the attack. Greg blaney was the best centre half forward I have seen, a complete player.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Hound on August 16, 2018, 12:05:35 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on August 16, 2018, 09:11:40 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2018, 08:27:55 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 16, 2018, 08:21:38 AM
Quote from: dlgael on August 16, 2018, 08:20:19 AM
To have 3 Derry men in a team of the 90s and not one from Donegal seems a bit revisionist. Of our 92 team I'd offer Martin McHugh with honourable mention to Gavigan and Tony Boyle. Donegal contested the first 4 Ulster finals of the 90s, winning 2 and took Sam home like Derry at the first opportunity. Tohill was class. I'd argue Canavans best period was in the 00s when he reached the summit.
Canavan was better in the 90s
I agree

Others I would suggest are James Nallen, Anthony Tohill, wee James McCartan, Ja Fallon and Charlie Redmond
Charlie shouldn't be within an asses roar of that team!!  Kieran McKeever would be worthy of consideration - thought he was a great corner back.
Charlie was the best forward on the Dublin team that challenged for All Irelands in the four years 92-95.

He was the only Dub forward to win more than one All Star in the 90s. He won 3. He was an excellent player. Maybe there were 6 better in the 90s, but he definitely should be in the running.

Charlie was some boyo alright. I'd say his record of being sent off twice in an All Ireland final will never be matched.
That was never a square ball!!

lenny

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 16, 2018, 02:51:09 PM
To have 3 Derry men in a team of the 90s and not one from Donegal seems a bit revisionist. Of our 92 team I'd offer Martin McHugh with honourable mention to Gavigan and Tony Boyle. Donegal contested the first 4 Ulster finals of the 90s, winning 2 and took Sam home like Derry at the first opportunity. Tohill was class. I'd argue Canavans best period was in the 00s when he reached the summit.
I agree

Others I would suggest are James Nallen, Anthony Tohill, wee James McCartan, Ja Fallon and Charlie Redmond
Charlie shouldn't be within an asses roar of that team!!  Kieran McKeever would be worthy of consideration - thought he was a great corner back.
Charlie was the best forward on the Dublin team that challenged for All Irelands in the four years 92-95.

He was the only Dub forward to win more than one All Star in the 90s. He won 3. He was an excellent player. Maybe there were 6 better in the 90s, but he definitely should be in the running.

Charlie was some boyo alright. I'd say his record of being sent off twice in an All Ireland final will never be matched.

Jeez Benny you need to get over that one. It's 23 years ago now.

theticklemister

Quote from: lenny on August 16, 2018, 03:09:42 PM
I agree

What happened?

BennyHarp

I agree

Is this not a thread discussing the 90s? Another classic Lennyism.

Tickle, surely you know about this. In the 1995 AI final, Charlie was sent off, but didn't leave the pitch and played on. It wasn't until he got involved in a play later that the ref, Paddy Russell, realised he hadn't left the pitch and sent him off again.

lenny

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 16, 2018, 03:35:32 PM
I agree

Tickle, surely you know about this. In the 1995 AI final, Charlie was sent off, but didn't leave the pitch and played on. It wasn't until he got involved in a play later that the ref, Paddy Russell, realised he hadn't left the pitch and sent him off again.

I remember it well benny, he must've stayed on the pitch for 2 or 3 minutes at least before the ref got it sorted. I was at the game and everyone was confused as we'd seen the ref ordering him off. I always felt he was an average player but a good free taker. The moment we struggle to get over was in the 97 ulster final. Cavan were given a point from a shot which was clearly wide. I was sitting right behind the shot. Cavan won by a point and because they were the underdog and hadn't won in ages the injustice of it all was swept under the carpet.

theticklemister

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 16, 2018, 03:35:32 PM
I agree

theticklemister

Youse Tyrone boys must be getting more nervous leading up to the final, as youse are getting easier to get!

BennyHarp

Quote from: theticklemister on August 16, 2018, 04:24:57 PM
Youse Tyrone boys must be getting more nervous leading up to the final, as youse are getting easier to get!

😂 Fair play. Yous are better at fishing than football anyway.

theticklemister

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 16, 2018, 04:47:58 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on August 16, 2018, 04:24:57 PM

😂 Fair play. Yous are better at fishing than football anyway.

All we got left now is slegging Tyrone people.

In other news, I see youse are picking up again in Leeds, good to see lad. Keep it up.

Manning18

JOL
Scullion Fay Barr
Curran O'Brien De Paor
McDermott Tohill
McHugh Fallon Giles
Linden Canavan M.Fitz

Struggled with Mortimor or the two corner backs, O'Brien or Glenn Ryan for centre back, Geraghty or Martin McHugh for RHF and Blaney or Linden.