Derry/Londonderry

Started by slippery dodger, January 30, 2018, 12:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 30, 2018, 10:23:48 AM
Quote from: screenexile on January 30, 2018, 10:19:13 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 30, 2018, 08:35:41 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 30, 2018, 07:40:33 AM
Ffs little to worry about.Is it not BBC policy to refer to Derry as Londonderry alternately? Some newsreader without any GAA knowledge just doing his or her job.

Ah here, they usually read what's put in front of them. As the OP said it was a GAA result.

She didn't read out what was put in front of her . . .

Quote"I am responding to your complaint about our 1800 radio bulletin on Sunday 28th January.

I can confirm that our newsreader accidentally misnamed Derry GAA. Although the title Derry was in the script, due to human error our newsreader made an on air adjustment as she read the name.

We fully accept that the correct title of the county board is Derry and apologise for the mistake."

A slip of the tongue as they say.. but lets string her up, and I'm not being sexist  ::)

It wasn't a slip of the tongue...she decided to change it (for whatever reason).  Obviously I'm taking the easy way out and will presume she's an arch bigot ;)

seafoid

The demographics do not favour the Londonderry crowd. Provocatively using the unionist name for a GAA team is the work of a loser.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

Ffs little to worry about.Is it not BBC policy to refer to Derry as Londonderry alternately? Some newsreader without any GAA knowledge just doing his or her job.

The team in question is called Derry - nothing to do with the politics of what the county of city is called.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AQMP on January 30, 2018, 01:52:26 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 30, 2018, 10:23:48 AM
Quote from: screenexile on January 30, 2018, 10:19:13 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 30, 2018, 08:35:41 AM

Ah here, they usually read what's put in front of them. As the OP said it was a GAA result.

She didn't read out what was put in front of her . . .

Quote"I am responding to your complaint about our 1800 radio bulletin on Sunday 28th January.

I can confirm that our newsreader accidentally misnamed Derry GAA. Although the title Derry was in the script, due to human error our newsreader made an on air adjustment as she read the name.

We fully accept that the correct title of the county board is Derry and apologise for the mistake."

A slip of the tongue as they say.. but lets string her up, and I'm not being sexist  ::)

It wasn't a slip of the tongue...she decided to change it (for whatever reason).  Obviously I'm taking the easy way out and will presume she's an arch bigot ;)

She may well be, but its one view that she is so used to saying Londonderry that it just came out

Its funny I've never used the term Londonderry, even through my working on both sides of the communties in teaching and my time working in protestant industries for many years, but I have heard plenty prods say Derry or county Londonderry... I'm thinking she just fcuked up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

She might not be a bigot but she's clearly a bellend. "Made a mistake" ffs. Pathetic from them but not worth getting het up over.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: gallsman on January 30, 2018, 03:36:47 PM
She might not be a bigot but she's clearly a bellend. "Made a mistake" ffs. Pathetic from them but not worth getting het up over.

Let's withhold the TV licence money & teach Lord Hall a salutary lesson.

Main Street

I suspect it was all a clever ploy to deflect ire from the humiliating home loss in Div 3 towards the greater outrage.

theticklemister

Je lads; you've f**k all to be up with yourself if you are getting pissed off over this.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: theticklemister on January 30, 2018, 06:13:39 PM
Je lads; you've f**k all to be up with yourself if you are getting pissed off over this.

What's the weather like in the free state today?

theticklemister

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 30, 2018, 06:15:06 PM

What's the weather like in the free state today?

I'm on the mainland

T Fearon

Plus 1.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: T Fearon on January 30, 2018, 07:40:29 PM

Plus 1.

Pmsl....ya just couldn't make it up even if you tried. Bit rich coming from "Death Notice Thread Comedy Man".

michaelg

Quote from: general_lee on January 30, 2018, 10:25:27 AM
If BBC NI didn't have this draconian policy of making its employees use the term "Londonderry" then this probably wouldn't have happened. Most people just say Derry, only Uber Unionists use the long word
What do Prods in Derry / Londonderry call it?

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on January 30, 2018, 09:26:16 AM
Quote from: slippery dodger on January 30, 2018, 12:00:38 AM
A BBC Radio Ulster News report last night gave a Derry GAA result as Londonderry. Just felt it was obvious antagonization of the nationalists of Derry. Everybody interested in a GAA result would refer to Derry as "Derry". No need to call it anything else. What are yer thoughts on this? Am I reading too much into it?

My sense would be that you're not reading too much into it - the only other explanation is that it is someone from outside who has no understanding of the local 'nuances', and is working for Radio Ulster, and I'd reckon that's a long shot.

I recall a similar issue going way back, to the 1987 Christmas Edition of the Radio Times. Yet again it was Radio Ulster, and they were having a programme which was reviewing the 1987 GAA Year, and there was a small photo from that year's Ulster Final alongside the programme listing, where "Londonderry were playing Cavan".
Its funny how things stick with you I Still remember that photo ( off Derry Captain Plunkett murphy)

Orior

Looking at the press etc, I think 99% of the GAA community were affronted by this. Pissed no, affronted, yes.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians