GAA Referees....why are they all tiny and thin?

Started by Gold, April 16, 2023, 04:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

GAA refs are on the whole arguably on the whole much smaller and thinner than the average man

They all seem like they've never played and simply went down the ref route

Appreciate it takes players or ex players to stick the hand up and do it but some of the level of reffing on the national level is atrocious

That overcarrying call on O Hanlon etc....BIZARRE decisions again and again by wee Priesty, traffic wardens

WTF
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

thewobbler

The call was correct.
He took 5 steps before the first bounce and 5 steps after.

The problem is that a few mins later he allowed McManus 6 steps before shooting.

It's inconsistent. Which is infuriating.

But hammering a man for a correct call ain't right.

tyrone08

Think that's the main problem. Some refs call the rules correctly and fans slate them for it.

Wildweasel74

5 steps, G watch the game 2nd half and count how many men do. You be looking at 30 fouls a game.

thewobbler

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 16, 2023, 04:56:16 PM
5 steps, G watch the game 2nd half and count how many men do. You be looking at 30 fouls a game.

You would for a few mins. But if a referee is consistent about it, players will quickly toe the line.

Problem is most referees are fans of attacking play and will only blow overcarrying at step 7. Maybe step 8 for a big name

Armagh18

Gold

Gold

That free  given to level it for Tyrone for McCurry simply diving to collect the ball

Then playing on minutes over, refusing to blow the final whistle until Monaghan got the ball

Rank amateur shite

marty34

10 steps is the norm now.

If a ref blew for 4 steps nowadays, there'd be a free every 15 secs.

Wildweasel74

I think the rule should be changed to 6 steps anyway, players cover ground alot quicker these days.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gold on April 16, 2023, 04:39:09 PM
GAA refs are on the whole arguably on the whole much smaller and thinner than the average man

They all seem like they've never played and simply went down the ref route

Appreciate it takes players or ex players to stick the hand up and do it but some of the level of reffing on the national level is atrocious

That overcarrying call on O Hanlon etc....BIZARRE decisions again and again by wee Priesty, traffic wardens

WTF

Baldy too, I'd add to that.. but in the main it seems that football referees get it tougher because footballers and their supporters are a bunch of moany c***ts!

I've ref's two hurling games lately and not a peep. Maybe it's in football fans dna to moan about every call

On the playing thing, how many of those supporters actually played? But very good at assessing the game ;D

Btw this isn't a dig at you gold ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on April 16, 2023, 06:32:02 PM

If the ref blew for a player taking 4 steps I'd be disappointed too as you are allowed to take 4 steps, not knowing the rules doesn't help
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tyrone08

Quote from: Gold on April 16, 2023, 05:51:28 PM
That free  given to level it for Tyrone for McCurry simply diving to collect the ball

Then playing on minutes over, refusing to blow the final whistle until Monaghan got the ball

Rank amateur shite

Could also point out when monaghan were on the attack with a forward down. Ref played on for about until Monaghan lost it then once tyrone started to break out he called for the play to be stopped much to the angry of the tyrone back line.

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 16, 2023, 08:08:19 PM

If the ref blew for a player taking 4 steps I'd be disappointed too as you are allowed to take 4 steps, not knowing the rules doesn't help

Sorry, more than 4 steps.

But you knew that from the context of the discussion but you wanted to be a clown.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on April 16, 2023, 11:38:54 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 16, 2023, 08:08:19 PM

Sorry, more than 4 steps.

But you knew that from the context of the discussion but you wanted to be a clown.

I only know what you posted. If you made a mistake that's grand. But I'm a clown.