Born in the Wrong Place

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 13, 2007, 02:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Didn't know who is was, but I did guess it would be a Dubliner. That said, in hindsight, should have known it was Whelan.
Testing Accessibility

Kerry Mike

No guarantee that Whelan would have even made the Kerry team if he was a Kerryman never mind be a multiple medal winner over 10 years. It take more than being born in a county to become a legend.

Vinny Murphy was the last Jackeen who thought he could get on the Kerry team, he got a rude awakening, I think he played for our hurlers once or twice though.

This is just another piece of shite to fill space in the Indo on a quite day.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 13, 2007, 02:45:03 PM
No guarantee that Whelan would have even made the Kerry team if he was a Kerryman never mind be a multiple medal winner over 10 years. It take more than being born in a county to become a legend.

Vinny Murphy was the last Jackeen who thought he could get on the Kerry team, he got a rude awakening, I think he played for our hurlers once or twice though.

Dublins Enda Sheehy thought a move to Mayo and he could walk onto the team, he was wrong.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 13, 2007, 02:06:36 PM
Martin Breheny has an astonishing piece in today's Independent about a player who, if he "was from Kerry, he'd be a multiple All-Ireland winner after a dozen years at centre-stage."

The role accidents of birth can have in a particular man's career are hardly news. But what I found astonishing was who the particular player Breheny chose is, and what county he's from. I'm not posting the link so we can all guess. I'll give you a hint - it's not Sligo's Eamon O'Hara, or that Leitrim boy that played so well for them at full-back, or Dermot McCabe of Cavan, or the recently retired Declan Browne, or Kildare's Johnny Doyle, or Offaly's CiarĂ¡n McManus or Wexford's Mattie Ford or anyone from Antrim or Clare or Carlow or Roscommon, the constant heart of Ireland. Go have a guess.

The Independent ought to be ashamed of themselves. It's an insult to the vast majority of county players who know that only one team can ever win the All-Ireland but go out anyway for the honour of wearing the county colours, and without whom there is no Championship. Shame, shame, shame.

What an unbeliveable over reaction to an article that compared and contrasted teh effect of the place of birth of 2 players that have been dominant forces for their teams for 10 years....

the Deel Rover

go on ya good thing Kerry Mike sure he is not fit to tie Darraghs Laces ;) ;) ;) i'll sit down now and prepare for the onslaught
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Hound

I'm not saying I blame Kerry for not picking a non-native, but its a lie to say he wasnt picked because he wasnt good enough. Vinny played some great stuff down there for a couple of years under the Bomber, and would have played senior football for Kerry but for a directive issued from up-high on the Kerry County Board. Like Dublin, Kerry will welcome foreigners onto their hurling team, but not onto their football team.

bingobus

If Whelan was/is the player that O'Shea was/is he may have won his own All-Ireland's with his own County.

IMHO a much over hyped player in a much over hyped county (but who are good for the game if that makes sense).

the Deel Rover

Quote from: bingobus on July 13, 2007, 02:52:18 PM
If Whelan was/is the player that O'Shea was/is he may have won his own All-Ireland's with his own County.

IMHO a much over hyped player in a much over hyped county (but who are good for the game if that makes sense).
as clear as mud bingobus ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Fishead_Sam

Bingobus will ye do a Sligo on it on Sunday?

Hound

Quote from: bingobus on July 13, 2007, 02:52:18 PM

If you are trying to say that over the last few years, Whelan's 14 teammates were comparable to O'Se's - then I'm afraid you're talking rubbish.

pintsofguinness

Comparing Whelan to O'Shea  :D
Is it april fools?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Maguire01

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 13, 2007, 02:55:12 PM
So this explains where Whelan is when he goes awol in most games, he's over in the opposition dugout to discuss the possibility of moving from Dublin to a county where he might win something! :D
;D

SuperDooperCooper

Bullshit article, they used to say the same about Paddy Christie. Dara even outfielded him in the Walker crisps ads.
If I remember right, in '01 for the replay they started Whelan wing forward 'cos Dara cleaned him out the first day.
Christ what a lazy way to fill up a half page of a newspaper.....

sligeach

Of all the footballers in the country he picks Ciaran Whelan ?

Number one on the "born in the wrong place" list HAS to be Declan Browne. He *Would* get on any panel in the country including Kerry, Tyrone, Dublin etc.

And man for man our own Eamon O'Hara is well above Ciaran Whelan as well. Ciarans a great player but hes never being that great.

With Declan after recently retiring from inter-county you'd think that an article like this would have being about him, a man who truely was denied fistfuls of medals because of geography.

bingobus

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on July 13, 2007, 02:53:37 PM
Bingobus will ye do a Sligo on it on Sunday?

I have my reservations, hopefully wrong but think it may be just a step too far. Still could get to All-ireland semi I reckon though if we can avoid Kerry or Tyrone again till then. Team is very young and an Ulster awaits in the next year or two.

Hound..not saying that but if he played for full games and controlled games that O'Shea has then maybe Dublin may have won a few games they narrowly lost. Dublin have been close in the past and if I'm honest they have been All-Irelands won in the last decade that where there for the taking, even by team that is not classed as "great".