Bloody Sunday killings to be ruled unlawful

Started by Lady GAA GAA, June 10, 2010, 11:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles Na G.

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 19, 2010, 07:35:18 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 19, 2010, 06:49:28 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 19, 2010, 04:13:31 PM
Lads, I'll say again, if yous want to talk about the IRA and what they done (rightly or wrongly) will yous please start another thread. This thread is about BLOODY SUNDAY. Nothing to do with the IRA.
Saville gave over two longish chapters to the IRA. He took evidence from many provisional and official IRA people. On the other hand, he didn't spend any time at all talking about French farmers and interviewed not one Gallic agricultural worker. That's because Bloody Sunday had nothing to do French farmers...

You really are a pathetic little man. Did the report find the IRA responsible for any part of Bloody Sunday? No is the answer, so why are you talking about them
Why was Saville talking about them?

Myles Na G.

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on June 19, 2010, 09:09:09 PM
A 5,000 page report that clears the victims of Bloody Sunday of any blame whatsoever and we still have assholes on this
board trying to defend the indefensible :'(  Says it all really.
Who is defending the indefensible? Point out where these assholes are doing it please. Otherwise fcuk up.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 20, 2010, 12:17:06 AM
A 5,000 page report that clears the victims of Bloody Sunday of any blame whatsoever and we still have assholes on this
Who is defending the indefensible? Point out where these assholes are doing it please. Otherwise fcuk up.

On youre say so? Dont think so.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on June 20, 2010, 12:26:23 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 20, 2010, 12:17:06 AM

On youre say so? Dont think so.
So you can't point out where anyone has been defending the indefensible?  And you can't identify the assholes? Okay.  ::)

Main Street

The report was partly a long awaited vindication of people who were criminalised after being murdered and credit to the report for the 100% nature of the vindication.
Apart from lawyers who have probably earned a tidy sum in the process, that vindication alone justifies the methodical collection of the comprehensive archive of witness statements about the events of that day.

Imo, the the other part of the Saville Inquiry was  the act of shifting the focus of  Widgery whitewash a few degrees from the civilians to the paratroopers and their local command.
I am quite mystified as to how Saville found no serious questions about the strategy of General Ford in deploying the paratroopers or another one in the command structure (Jackson?) who now a top General. 
It suits the British establishment to claim that it was just the paratroopers  who lost their head, that no responsibility lay for their action with the political& military,  purposeful strategy of deploying these thugs with machine guns against civilians.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 20, 2010, 12:15:48 AM
Lads, I'll say again, if yous want to talk about the IRA and what they done (rightly or wrongly) will yous please start another thread. This thread is about BLOODY SUNDAY. Nothing to do with the IRA.
Saville gave over two longish chapters to the IRA. He took evidence from many provisional and official IRA people. On the other hand, he didn't spend any time at all talking about French farmers and interviewed not one Gallic agricultural worker. That's because Bloody Sunday had nothing to do French farmers...

You really are a pathetic little man. Did the report find the IRA responsible for any part of Bloody Sunday? No is the answer, so why are you talking about them

Saville mostly spoke about them to refute the brits claim that they were fired on first and that the IRA had shot the civilians. A blatant lie of course. He also spoke on how the event fueled the fire of the war for years to come and was a big recruiter for the IRA. He did not seek to equaliser future IRA attacks with this british one. So I ask again, why are you going on about the IRA?

Hardy

John Bowman reminded me of "The Butcher's Dozen" this morning. He had a recording of Kinsella reading it. Doggerel, as described by Kinsella himself, but powerful and scathing.

The Iceman

Growing up in Armagh I was rarely given any opportunity to mix with Protestants apart from a few scuffles with the Royal School on the Mall.  At University I lived in the Halls at UUJ and met a fair bunch of them. The majority of them were civil and good auld craic as long as we didn't venture into politics or religion.
I have stayed in contact with a good few of them mostly through Facebook and the like but the older I get the more I realize that topics like religion and politics are fundamental to who I am.  The more I listen to the sickening responses of my so called Protestant "friends" and read similar posters here the more I want to distance myself from these protestants and their blinkered opinions.
The facts are there in black and white. The truth we've all know for decades.  I don't see any way to work together as two communities on this if protestants will never acknowledge the past  - only then, in my opinion, can we fully embrace the future of this island.
The positive to come from all of this is now the rest of the world is beginning to recognize what we as Irish Catholics/Nationalists/Republicans have always lived with......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Myles Na G.

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 20, 2010, 12:08:59 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 20, 2010, 12:15:48 AM

Saville mostly spoke about them to refute the brits claim that they were fired on first and that the IRA had shot the civilians. A blatant lie of course. He also spoke on how the event fueled the fire of the war for years to come and was a big recruiter for the IRA. He did not seek to equaliser future IRA attacks with this british one. So I ask again, why are you going on about the IRA?
'The IRA had come about to defend their people and areas because of the apartheid regime and the genocidal route it was taking.' That was posted by Lynchbhoy on 18th June. Noone rounded on him to tell him to stop discussing the IRA. On the contrary, a couple of posters weighed in praising his rambling rewriting of recent Irish history. However, as soon as somone posts something critical about the IRA, people start wetting their pants and insisting that the thread is going off topic. Wonder why?

orangeman

Did any of you read the report in the Irish News where the serving British soldier said that the Saville report was a load of shite and that the paras were 100% right to kill the -------- in Derry that day ?.

Pig and grunt comes to mind.

paco

Quote from: orangeman on June 24, 2010, 06:02:45 PM
Did any of you read the report in the Irish News where the serving British soldier said that the Saville report was a load of shite and that the paras were 100% right to kill the -------- in Derry that day ?.

Pig and grunt comes to mind.

Seen that. The article also said that he had posted on his facebook support for the BNP.

Rois

RTE showing a Bloody Sunday documentary tonight at 10.15pm that has followed the families throughout the inquiry.

orangeman

Quote from: Rois on June 24, 2010, 06:21:34 PM
RTE showing a Bloody Sunday documentary tonight at 10.15pm that has followed the families throughout the inquiry.

Gruesome stuff in this tonight.

All of a Sludden

A retired British army colonel has been shot and killed during a robbery at his son's home in Nairobi, Kenya.

Edward Loden, who commanded the unit involved in the Bloody Sunday shootings in Northern Ireland, was on holiday when he was shot on Saturday evening.

The attack happened after armed men forced their way into the compound in the Langata suburb.

A family statement described Col Loden as a "devoted family man" and said his death was a "brutal tragedy".

The BBC's East Africa correspondent Gabriel Gatehouse said he died on the way to hospital.

A former colonel in the Parachute Regiment, Col Loden served on numerous operations around the world and was awarded the Military Cross for service in Aden in 1967.

In 1972, he was in command of a Parachute Regiment unit that fired more than 100 shots during a civil rights march in Londonderry.

Thirteen civilians were killed at the scene and a 14th victim died from his wounds five months later.

Col Loden was exonerated by the Saville Inquiry into the killings, which said that he did not realise his soldiers might be firing at people who did not pose a threat.

He retired from the Army in 1992, and after following a career in business management, retired to pursue his love of sailing in 1999, his family said.

The statement added: "Edward, married to Jill, father of Jamie and Will, was a devoted family man and proud grandfather of Oliver, Amelia, Joshua, Harry and Emily.

"Jill and her sons would like to say thank you to all the overwhelming messages of love and support from wider friends and family, and request that the family be given time to come to terms with this brutal tragedy."

The killing comes after the murder of another former British army colonel, David Parkinson, who was killed by an armed gang at his home near Nanyuki, Laikipia, in August.

Col Parkinson, an ex-commander of a base in the area, and his wife were attacked after a gang of suspected robbers, armed with machetes and a gun, smashed their way into the house.

Mrs Parkinson escaped after hiding in a strong room.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Insane Bolt

Decision due today at 11 on whether prosecutions will be brought against the paras involved.
Given what Brady stated last week I'm not very hopeful.