Bloody Sunday killings to be ruled unlawful

Started by Lady GAA GAA, June 10, 2010, 11:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 19, 2010, 07:45:04 AM
next  you'll be telling us about the gas chambers and the trains full of working class Catholics at central station...
do you have an actual point?
If you have something of merit to add to any debate please give us you
contribution!
It would make a nice change!
Point out what part of what I wrote that might be incorrect from your own perspective!

lynchbhoy

Completely irreverent Myles!!
Both in the context of that the IRA protected the catholic/nationalists/Irish in the six counties (soweto) or in the context of the topic of this thread.
You seem to think one instance changes the entire mantra! :D

also can you not break ranks with your unionist colleagues and support and applaud the vindication of innocence of the victims of bloody Sunday?
It would make a nice change for you to embrace reality!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 19, 2010, 09:17:20 AM
next  you'll be telling us about the gas chambers and the trains full of working class Catholics at central station...
contribution!
Point out what part of what I wrote that might be incorrect from your own perspective!
Your posts always make me laugh - well the ones I finish reading. You are incapable of commenting without using the word "apartheid". Does someone throw you a biscuit if you use it?

Maguire01

This is worth a watch - only 7 minutes long:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/this_week/8747827.stm

Interesting point about Cameron rewriting a speech given to him by civil servants - he has earned himself a few brownie points over here with people who traditionally would have little time for a Conservative government.

Also an amusing anecdote at the end about John Simpson being followed around Derry by McGuinness and thinking it was his last night!

Rossfan

Fair play to Cameron indeed.
Now what a pity the Myleses, Baloneys, Donaldsons,bitter twisted Campbells and their ilk couldnt have followed their Prime Minister's example.
Keep attacking Lynchboy to avoid the real issue obviouslt makes the blinkered ones on this Board feel better about themselves and saves them having to face the real facts about the causes of the northern "Troubles".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Santino

even more impressed with cameron now knowing it was his own words after watching that clip

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 19, 2010, 09:37:26 AM
Completely irreverent Myles!!
Both in the context of that the IRA protected the catholic/nationalists/Irish in the six counties (soweto) or in the context of the topic of this thread.
You seem to think one instance changes the entire mantra! :D

also can you not break ranks with your unionist colleagues and support and applaud the vindication of innocence of the victims of bloody Sunday?
It would make a nice change for you to embrace reality!
see post 121 on this thread.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 19, 2010, 09:17:20 AM
contribution!
I disagree with everything you write, always.

stibhan

Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 17, 2010, 06:14:21 PM
'They killed people for being pro-British. This amounts to a political, not ethno-religious, stance. Incidentally, there has never been a bomb constructed which either asks all Catholics to get out of the way before it goes off or whose effects only harm Protestants.'

It's difficult not to be pro British if you're...um...British. The effect of the IRA campaign was to make targets of the unionist / British population. That's an ethnic conflict. As for bombs being indiscriminate - absolutely. However, you can plant it in places frequented mainly by people from one side of the community (Enniskillen?).

There is no doubt that the IRA killed more Protestants than Catholics, and that the vast majority of people they killed identified as British. However, given that ethnic means 'of, relating to, or characteristic of a sizable group of people sharing a common and distinctive racial, national, religious, linguistic, or cultural heritage' then the muddying of the waters between national identity, religious identity and political identity in the north make that phrase inadequate. Describing the IRA's campaign as one positioned against an ethnic group does not really hold with the central truth that many Irishmen and women were killed by them, or the post-colonial aspect which politicises all identity in the north.

Your point about Enniskillen brings up another--were the people who killed Germans, Japanese and Italians in the wars ethnocentric murderers as well? I think an obvious retort would be that (the horrific act of) the Enniskillen Bombing was carried out against British Forces with a callous disregard for the human 'collateral'. It was apparently not 'sanctioned' anyway. There are other instances of bombings which you could mention but I think what the Bloody Sunday Tribunal has proven is that each atrocity can only be balanced on individual merits, and that neither you or I are able to comment on them without a similar amount of endeavour and testimony.  Plenty of Irish people were seen as 'acceptable collateral' by some of those bastards though; it isn't too far to suggest that they were narrow-minded enough not to consider any of the people they killed as British-Irish or vice-versa either. It does not erase the political goal, though, however untenable it was and is to you.

delboy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 19, 2010, 08:12:28 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 19, 2010, 01:13:51 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 18, 2010, 11:04:23 PM
Nope, not an excellent post at all LB. Same oul tripe, same oul republican crap. Apartheid? Like what - Soweto? Point me out our Soweto, please. And like, if northern nationalists were so oppressed, how come there was such a thriving Catholic middle class? Where did all the Catholic teachers come from? The Catholic solicitors and doctors? Complete load of balls, as per usual. The genocidal route? Please. Who killed more Catholics than the British forces? The IRA. Who outkilled every other armed grouping? The IRA. Get your heads out of yer republican arses, lads.
thriving middle class ? where did Catholic teachers come from ....it looks like you are scraping the barrel in a big way here!!!!

you obviously know nothing of the life that nationalists/catholics/working class had to endure in those times !!!

If things were not heading towards a genocidal routie - why did the british gov send in the troops ????

the IRA killed mostly security forces personnel ...
while not good , it was a war,...and in war times people get killed...its either killing taigs or protecting taigs
Apart from clearing up your misconceptions on what happned in the few decades war  - it should be mentioned again that unionist/loyalist persons tried to continue the attack against nationalist/catholic/Irish/taigs via bloody sunday and the lack of an apology from these unionist/loyalist forces is striking !!

myles - your unionist/loyalist people by their silence speaks volumes !!!

but we expected nothing more from them all other than this !!!
I am proven right again !!!
How do you protect taigs by...er...killing them?
Interesting that in recent days another republican myth - The Battle of the Short Strand - has been given short shrift by the HET. The incident, you may recall, was one of the defining moments for the provos, as it allowed them to claim that they were the real defenders of the Catholic people. Leading provos like Billy McKee and Denis Donaldson made their reputations by defending St Matthews church and fending off loyalist attackers. Three people died, 2 protestants and a catholic. For years the provos claimed that the catholic was one of their own and that he died on active service. Much to the delight of his family, however, the man has now been cleared of any IRA connections. Seems he was just an innocent man shot by the IRA by mistake. In addition, the HET concluded that both the protestants were innocent victims too, shot making their way home from the bar on the Newtownards road. Far from being the defenders, the report concluded that the provos had started the shooting long before loyalist paramilitaries showed up. Some heroes!

One of them was my father in laws uncle, he was indeed heading home from the pub, he bleed out because the gunman kept trying to shoot anyone that tried to get to him.

pintsofguinness

Lads, I'll say again, if yous want to talk about the IRA and what they done (rightly or wrongly) will yous please start another thread. This thread is about BLOODY SUNDAY. Nothing to do with the IRA. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Myles Na G.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 19, 2010, 04:13:31 PM
Lads, I'll say again, if yous want to talk about the IRA and what they done (rightly or wrongly) will yous please start another thread. This thread is about BLOODY SUNDAY. Nothing to do with the IRA.
Saville gave over two longish chapters to the IRA. He took evidence from many provisional and official IRA people. On the other hand, he didn't spend any time at all talking about French farmers and interviewed not one Gallic agricultural worker. That's because Bloody Sunday had nothing to do French farmers...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 19, 2010, 06:49:28 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 19, 2010, 04:13:31 PM
Saville gave over two longish chapters to the IRA. He took evidence from many provisional and official IRA people. On the other hand, he didn't spend any time at all talking about French farmers and interviewed not one Gallic agricultural worker. That's because Bloody Sunday had nothing to do French farmers...

You really are a pathetic little man. Did the report find the IRA responsible for any part of Bloody Sunday? No is the answer, so why are you talking about them

020304 Tir Eoghain

A 5,000 page report that clears the victims of Bloody Sunday of any blame whatsoever and we still have assholes on this
board trying to defend the indefensible :'(  Says it all really.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.