Bloody Sunday killings to be ruled unlawful

Started by Lady GAA GAA, June 10, 2010, 11:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on June 16, 2010, 12:22:19 AM
Quote from: Franko on June 16, 2010, 12:12:07 AM
Maybe I'm being naive but I would hope that Gregory's response wouldn't be indicative of the broader unionist feeling.
Have you ever met any DUPers? Naive indeed.
I work with a 'good living Christian type' UUPer. Discussing this today, he refused to accept the report in the way everyone else has, saying "There are two sides to every story" and "Pointing the finger at one side". Two direct quotes.

'Tis the way of the world.
Unfortunately it's us and them. If anything other than the verdict today was announced, nationalists would have said it was another whitewash whereas unionists will see this as a whitewash and appeasement to keep the peace. Very few will see it for what it is I would reckon.

theskull1

Lawyers for the paras certainly still maintaining a level of innocence. I think they must be scared of criminal convictions coming from this report. All this talk of .......it couldn't be proved in a court of law who shot who type stuff apart from para F whos bullet was found in one of the dead but in that case he said that it could have been a richocet rather than the para aiming at him.

GC is a horrible cnut. If the shoe was on the other foot he would have demanded the same and he'd have been right. He talks about the 100s killed before bloody sunday and how those deaths should be used in context of bloody sunday but not much chance of him explaining the zeitgeist of that time when the unionist elite oppressed the working classes (especially but not exclusively in catholic areas). Thats not something that should be discussed as it might properly explain the very valid reasons why the civil rights movement existed and the protests took place
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Hardy

I hadn't quite grasped the heights of hysteria and fantasy of which Campbell is capable until I heard him on the BBC this evening stating, matter-of-factly that the IRA was funded by the government of the Republic.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Ulick

I don't know why people are still surprised by Campbell's behaviour. I still clearly remember him on telly congratulating the murderers of unarmed civilian (and Wolfe Tones player) Mchael Tighe in 1982, two weeks after he (Campbell) had publicly called for the British to introduce an "effective fighting unit who could kill at will". 

Rois

I went through the statement and transcript of the appearance before the inquiry of someone I know.  He had guns aimed at him, was arrested for throwing stones, battered by the butts of army guns, and this was someone who was working as part of the Order of Malta on the day and is one of the people carrying the body of Jackie Duddy in the picture with Bishop Daly.  He was never called to appear before Widgery. 

Prime Time had the NI Secretary on last night - that man's head just doesn't move.  Eamonn McCann made a few interesting comments on the meeting that was held in the Bogside after Bloody Sunday to decide what to do.  The leaders that came forward in that meeting were the two IRA OCs, and it marked the point where the balance tipped away from constitutional politics. 

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hardy on June 16, 2010, 01:11:26 AM
I hadn't quite grasped the heights of hysteria and fantasy of which Campbell is capable until I heard him on the BBC this evening stating, matter-of-factly that the IRA was funded by the government of the Republic.
its hard to believe Hardy, but this is the norm for unionist/loyalist public reprsentatives and their supporters. these are the people that believe in creationism too - you really dont know the half of it in relation to these nutcases.

lynchbhoy

Justice at last for these poor people. An indication of what the people had to contend with at the time.
Some people including Blair and now cameron should be applauded. They simply told the truth, but for far too long this was avioided.
The usual crew of apologists are up making whataboutery excuses.

there will be no inquest into the preceeding injustices and years of persecution etc prior to this....also state sponsored !!!
There will also be no inquests into the people on both sides killed in the decades afterwards.

But we know that this shows what the state and its colluding peoples were capable of and offers up a nod to that this was not all made up from the nationalist/catholic/working class side.

with that underlined, we can go on with our lives. Still intact, but badly scarred.
I hope the next generations never have to experience this.

JUst retired

How much more do we not know about State sponsored murders. I`m glad the people of Derry got the truth at last.

Declan

QuotePersonally felt flags and talk of Palestine and Gaza were out of place. Today was about Derry and Bloody Sunday, not the events in the middle east

Folks you have to remember the real agenda here.Whilst Cameron's apology was long overdue and welcome the real reason he introduced talk of that is to reinforce the message re the British Army as articulated in the Daily Mail today. It is the message of imperialists since the beginning of time.

Both men served in Ulster - both have just died heroically in Afghanistan. After that damning report into Bloody Sunday this is the TRUE face of Britain's soldiers
They joined as boy soldiers, and both gave the Army the best years of their lives. And then when duty demanded it, they made the ultimate sacrifice.
Yesterday Private Jonathan Monk and Lance Corporal Andrew Breeze, who had both served in Northern Ireland, were named as the latest British soldiers to die in Afghanistan.
On the day that the Bloody Sunday inquiry left an indelible stain on the reputation of the British Army, the bravery of these two young men stands as a potent reminder of the true face of our Forces.
Speaking after the Saville Inquiry's damning verdict on the 'indefensible' conduct of Paratroopers who killed 14 on the streets of Derry 38 years ago, Prime Minister David Cameron reminded the country of the 'courage and professionalism' of Britain's soldiers.

Private Monk, who had wanted to be a soldier from the age of five and joined the Army at 16, and Lance Corporal Breeze, who signed up at 17, joined the roll call of Britain's Afghan dead which now stands at 298.

They were named yesterday as the long-awaited verdict of the Bloody Sunday inquiry savaged the conduct of Parachute Regiment soldiers in an out-of-control shooting spree in Derry on January 30, 1972.
Mr Cameron reminded the Commons that it was the sacrifice of soldiers such as Private Monk and Lance Corporal Breeze that remained the Army's real legacy.
'I never want to believe anything bad about our country,' he said.
'I never want to call into question the behaviour of our soldiers and our Army, which I believe to be the finest in the world. And I have seen for myself the very difficult and dangerous circumstances in which we ask our soldiers to serve.'
But it was 'absolutely clear', he said, that what happened on Bloody Sunday 'was both unjustified and unjustifiable'.
He reminded the Commons that 1,117 members of the security forces had lost their lives 'setting the conditions that made peaceful politics possible' in Northern Ireland.
'Our Armed Forces displayed enormous courage and professionalism in upholding democracy and the rule of law in Northern Ireland,' he said. 'Without their work, the peace process would not have happened.'
Lord Saville's report also said that former IRA leader Martin McGuinness - now Northern Ireland Deputy First Minister --spent Bloody Sunday armed with a submachine gun, and may have fired it.
But Lord Saville, who has spent £200million and more than 12 years to produce his report, cleared McGuinness and the IRA of any blame for the Army's conduct.
Mr Cameron made a sweeping apology in the Commons for the killing of the Bloody Sunday marchers.
'On behalf of the Government, indeed on behalf of our country, I am deeply sorry,' he said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1286923/Bloody-Sunday--Saville-Inquiry-Soldiers-served-Ulster-died-Afghanistan.html#ixzz0r0AutrJU

Doogie Browser

Campbell was made to look like a right c**k by Carruthers as Gregory started to say 'why were the 2 murdered RUC men not mentioned in Saville' Carruthers chips in to say 'if you read the report you will see several mentions of this in section 2, sub-section 2 etc', Campbell made to look like a ballbag as usual.

Great to see the reaction of Protestant clergymen, dignified, human repsonse.

Eamonn McCann should be the Mayor of Derry, legend that he is.

Lovely to see Eddie Daly on the news too with a tear in his eye as he said he was so glad to see this result in his lifetime.

The new British Sec of State was also badly briefed as it was clear from his performance on Prime Time and Spotlight that he had not even read the report summary.

I don't think yesterday was a day for soundbites but I clearly felt the hand of history on my shoulder.

NAG1

Declan, what else do you expect from the Daily Mail.

haveaharp

There is a lot of talk about the cost of the inquiry. The fact is had they not fired the shots there wouldnt have been any inquiry, had they have told the truth and not had a cover up then there would be no inquiry. Had they not been there in the first place there would be no inquiry. So dry your eyes about 200 million, they will be very lucky if there aren't prosecutions. Probably a simplistic view of it but often the truth is simple.
Also the whatabouttery of calling for inquiries into republican murders. The British state called them criminal murders at the time, refusing to accept it was a war. Therefore they had the chance to hunt down and prosecute "criminals" at the time. If it is now being called a war then they let POWs die in Long Kesh and therefore there should be an inquiry into this also. You cant have it everyway.

Declan

QuoteDeclan, what else do you expect from the Daily Ma

Not much Nag
It's not the Daily Mail per se I was getting at - more the mindset of the English establishment in regards to their "boys" and how that message is constantly re-inforced at every opportunity. A bit like Bud's observations earlier in the thread

gallsman

Gregory Campbell is a hateful little **** who you'd love to smack if he passed you in the street. Eammon McCann deserves credit for openly calling him a "sectarian disgrace" on the BBC last night.

Though Michael Mansfield and the Presbyterian minister, David Latimer (sp?) spoke very well, with Latimer not rying to pursue any agenda and openly hoping that Campbell's view was out of tune with most unionists.

Was great to Mansfield come out directly and say that the reason Bloody Sunday differs from other atrocities throughout the troubles was that it was perpetrated by agents of the state, wearing a uniform. It was murder.

Carruthers interviewed McGuinness earlier in the day about the Thompson claims and Saville's rejection of the claim that the Paras were sent in that day to "teach them a lesson." McGuinness reserved the right to respectfully disagree. Considering their complete unsuitability for what was meant to be a policing action, as well as the events up at Magilligan Strand the week before, it's hard not to share his viewpoint.