Bloody Sunday killings to be ruled unlawful

Started by Lady GAA GAA, June 10, 2010, 11:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

I'm fairly sure he said apocryphal, but you're right and I stand corrected if I misheard him through the internet connection here.  Bedtime for me.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Franko

Excellent result for the families and imo a total vindication of the cost and time which was invested into the tribunal.

The £192m bill should be laid squarely at the door of that bastard Widgery who obviously acted with all the moral fibre of an alleycat when compiling his original 'report'. 

Widgery, take a bow, for today you have been exposed as a liar and no amount of awards from Lizzie can return any 'honour' to your name.

David Cameron deserves credit for standing up and accepting the results of the report with no fudging of the issues.  He imparted some details in his speech to parliament which did not paint the Army in a good light whatsoever and which he could easily have omitted from his speech.

He has definitely risen in my estimation today.

Rossfan

I suppose they may deserve praise for finally admitting they did wrong but tainted by the fact that it  took them 38 years  to admit it.
The families may get some closure,if that's possible , from an official recognition of what they and we and most of the world knew all along ..that their sons were murdered in the streets of their own city.
But who decided that a bunch of armed well trained killers should be sent in to Derry to "control" a civil situation?
Was it the then Unionist Minister in charge of Police etc or was it the chief Policeman or was it the Brit Army chief?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tyssam5

Quote from: Franko on June 15, 2010, 05:57:29 PM
Excellent result for the families and imo a total vindication of the cost and time which was invested into the tribunal.

The £192m bill should be laid squarely at the door of that b**tard Widgery
who obviously acted with all the moral fibre of an alleycat when compiling his original 'report'. 

Widgery, take a bow, for today you have been exposed as a liar and no amount of awards from Lizzie can return any 'honour' to your name.

David Cameron deserves credit for standing up and accepting the results of the report with no fudging of the issues.  He imparted some details in his speech to parliament which did not paint the Army in a good light whatsoever and which he could easily have omitted from his speech.

1800/person in Derry City.

I suppose the victim's families feel the money was well spent and that is important.

Maguire01

A great outcome for the families.

I though Cameron spoke well on it and it was good to see the apology.

omagh_gael

Delighted for the people of Derry and especially the families of all those killed and injured.

Still so sad and galling to see t**t's like Gregory Campbell still slabbering about IRA shooting and Soldiers acting apropriately in a hostile environment. Shame on you, you p***k!

balladmaker

QuoteDavid Cameron deserves credit for standing up and accepting the results of the report with no fudging of the issues.  He imparted some details in his speech to parliament which did not paint the Army in a good light whatsoever and which he could easily have omitted from his speech.

Did he really have any other choice but to accept it and apologise?  He spent enough time laying praise on the British Army and their efforts around the World....the natives of those countries may see it differently.

Lay the blame for the 38 year wait and £192M+ at the door of successive British governments and Unionist politicians.  Listen to the bigot that is Gregory Campbell squirm now.

seafoid

It was nice to see Cameron calling the city DERRY !
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Franko

Quote from: balladmaker on June 15, 2010, 06:55:12 PM
QuoteDavid Cameron deserves credit for standing up and accepting the results of the report with no fudging of the issues.  He imparted some details in his speech to parliament which did not paint the Army in a good light whatsoever and which he could easily have omitted from his speech.

Did he really have any other choice but to accept it and apologise?  He spent enough time laying praise on the British Army and their efforts around the World....the natives of those countries may see it differently.

Lay the blame for the 38 year wait and £192M+ at the door of successive British governments and Unionist politicians.  Listen to the bigot that is Gregory Campbell squirm now.

No, I dont believe he had any choice at all.  But he certainly had freedom to choose the fashion in which he did this which I happen to belive he did very eloquently and manfully.  (See the part in bold).

I have watched interviews with both Campbell and Foster today and imo their words only serve to show them as sectarian bigots.

Did anyone notice the squirming that Campbell, McCrea and Ian Og were forced to perform during Durkan's speech to the commons?

Puckoon

Credit where it is due to Cameron and Lord Saville, great to finally see the truth be spoken in such a light. No mincing of words in either statements.

gallsman

Cameron could very easily have used words such as "regret" and he came out directly and said "sorry." He didn't try and dilute anything and called everything exactly as Saville had it and accepted it without question. Very impressive and courageous for a Tory PM.

Personally felt flags and talk of Palestine and Gaza were out of place. Today was about Derry and Bloody Sunday, not the events in the middle east.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Alco Pup on June 15, 2010, 03:45:03 PM
"David Cameron says the conclusions of this report "are absolutely clear". What happened on Bloody Sunday was "unjustifiable and wrong", he says. No warning was given to any civilians before soldiers opened fire. None of the soldiers fired in response to attacks by petrol bombers or stone-throwers. Some of those killed or injured were clearly fleeing or going to help those injured or dying.

None of the casualties was posing a threat or doing anything that would justify their shooting, David Cameron says. There is no point in trying to soften or equivocate what is in this report :the events of Bloody Sunday were not justified, he says. Mr Cameron adds: "What happened should never, ever have happened - some members of our armed forces acted wrongly. On behalf of our government and our country I am deeply sorry." "

Fair play. 

I don't care what unionist politicans or anyone else says, just point to what their prime minster's statement. 

I'm glad for the families of the 14, although they'll probably never see anyone charged hopefully they'll get some satisfaction from the report.

I feel sorry for the families of the state's other victims though, I wonder how they're feeling today.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Franko

Just some of the reactions of our unionist politicians (BBC website)

Some of these remarks are disgraceful.  Jim Allister called it a 'jamboree'.  I call him a tr**p.

Jeffrey Donaldson:
"The difficulty is that we have the truth on one side, but not the truth on the other.
"We don't know the truth about what Martin McGuinness and the IRA were doing on that day.
"While we regret every death... we must not lose sight of the need for balance."

Jim Allister:
"My primary thoughts today are with the thousands of innocent victims of the IRA who have never had justice, nor benefitted from any inquiry into why their loved ones died.
"Thus today's jamboree over the Saville report throws into very sharp relief the unacceptable and perverse hierarchy of victims which the preferential treatment of 'Bloody Sunday' has created."

David Trimble:
Lord Trimble said the killings were wrong, and mistakes had been made in the planning and conduct of the operation on Bloody Sunday.
However, he added: "It would be perverse if the events of Bloody Sunday were used to justify those unjustifiable events that PIRA launched in the 1970s."

Reg Empey:
"Clearly and rightly the onus will always be on ministers of the crown to account for the actions of the military, and today David Cameron shouldered that responsibility.
"However, while some families may have had a degree of closure today, very many others have not been so fortunate.
"In the days before Bloody Sunday, two RUC officers - Peter Gilgunn and David Montgomery - were shot dead in the Creggan area of the city. Their families have not received justice."

pintsofguinness

Reg Empey:
"Clearly and rightly the onus will always be on ministers of the crown to account for the actions of the military, and today David Cameron shouldered that responsibility.
"However, while some families may have had a degree of closure today, very many others have not been so fortunate.
"In the days before Bloody Sunday, two RUC officers - Peter Gilgunn and David Montgomery - were shot dead in the Creggan area of the city. Their families have not received justice."

The families of the bloody sunday victims haven't received justice either, and they waited almost 40 years before someone admitted they didn't bring it on themselves.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: seafoid on June 15, 2010, 07:04:04 PM
It was nice to see Cameron calling the city DERRY !

Channel 4 had the city named as Derry beside C4 on there broadcast too. Maybe they realised its not the time to push their political agenda.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.