Bloody Sunday killings to be ruled unlawful

Started by Lady GAA GAA, June 10, 2010, 11:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: funtime frankie on June 15, 2010, 04:24:37 PM
What a wonderful day for those famlies and what a wonderful day for Derry. A long time coming - but what did it tell us that we didn't already know?

We know. However now the British public know and the wider world know.

Great news today and I'm delighted.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

In his report Lord Saville said: "What happened on Bloody Sunday strengthened the Provisional IRA, increased nationalist resentment and hostility towards the Army and exacerbated the violent conflict of the years that followed.

Testing Accessibility

muppet

Quote from: ziggysego on June 15, 2010, 04:51:41 PM
In his report Lord Saville said: "What happened on Bloody Sunday strengthened the Provisional IRA, increased nationalist resentment and hostility towards the Army and exacerbated the violent conflict of the years that followed.

That is the man to send to Israel, not Trimble.
MWWSI 2017

Minder

Quote from: muppet on June 15, 2010, 04:52:58 PM

We should still send Trimble somewhere though, Siberia perhaps.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Celt_Man

Quote from: Aerlik on June 15, 2010, 04:45:20 PM
To paraphrase, he said it wasn't the soldiers' fault.  I kid you not.   I'm still fcukin livid.  Typical English condescending, imperical, patronising shite.  w**kers like him have to realise that the days of Britannia sailing the seven seas to teach the world a lesson are long, fcukin over.

Nice to see a few Palestinian flags in the Guildhall and on lapels today.

Saw that myself Aerlik - yer man had some neck on him... very annoying listening to that shite
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Hereiam

It was a great PR Exercise by the brits nothing more and nothing less. The prime minister of the time, Edward Heath should be saying sorry for this, but this won't happen as he is rotting in hell

Capt Pat

That Jackson character seems to have been shown in a bad light from these findings.

Hardy

Quote from: delboy on June 15, 2010, 04:23:39 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on June 15, 2010, 04:22:03 PM
I notice there was no mention of the CPS getting involved following these findings.

The findings have only just been made public, surely that process would require sometime either way.

I saw a banner on the bottom of the BBC screen at one stage saying the CPS had made a statement to the effect that the decision on prosecutions was for the CPS to make. Seemed a bit confusing and maybe the caption-jockey got it wrong and it was someone else saying the decision was down to the CPS. In any case, it seems prosecutions are not ruled out.

Hardy

Quote from: Aerlik on June 15, 2010, 04:32:33 PM
"An apocryphal moment in British legal history, in the history of Ireland and in the U.K."  Michael Mansell

Step up Mr. Mansell and assume the mantle of Bertie. Don't upset the apple tart though.

muppet

Quote from: Minder on June 15, 2010, 04:55:00 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 15, 2010, 04:52:58 PM

We should still send Trimble somewhere though, Siberia perhaps.

Gaza. With a Bowler hat.
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hardy on June 15, 2010, 05:19:01 PM
I notice there was no mention of the CPS getting involved following these findings.

The findings have only just been made public, surely that process would require sometime either way.

I saw a banner on the bottom of the BBC screen at one stage saying the CPS had made a statement to the effect that the decision on prosecutions was for the CPS to make. Seemed a bit confusing and maybe the caption-jockey got it wrong and it was someone else saying the decision was down to the CPS. In any case, it seems prosecutions are not ruled out.

Not the CPS, but at the PPS's discretion I believe (Public Prosecution Service).

It's been a long, long time coming, but at least it has arrived.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Hardy on June 15, 2010, 05:20:31 PM
"An apocryphal moment in British legal history, in the history of Ireland and in the U.K."  Michael Mansell

Step up Mr. Mansell and assume the mantle of Bertie. Don't upset the apple tart though.

I thought "apocryphal" meant of dubious fact or evidence as in "That's an apocryphal story" meaning probably not true??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Hardy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 15, 2010, 05:25:05 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 15, 2010, 05:19:01 PM

Not the CPS, but at the PPS's discretion I believe (Public Prosecution Service).

It's been a long, long time coming, but at least it has arrived.

Sorry - correct.

Hardy

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on June 15, 2010, 05:30:44 PM

I thought "apocryphal" meant of dubious fact or evidence as in "That's an apocryphal story" meaning probably not true??

I'd guess he meant epochal.

I hope he didn't mean apocalyptic.

delboy

Quote from: Hardy on June 15, 2010, 05:33:41 PM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on June 15, 2010, 05:30:44 PM

I'd guess he meant epochal.

I hope he didn't mean apocalyptic.

Yeah thats bound to be what he meant.