Bloody Sunday killings to be ruled unlawful

Started by Lady GAA GAA, June 10, 2010, 11:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Alco Pup on June 15, 2010, 09:11:36 AM
Quote from: Main Street on June 14, 2010, 08:03:10 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 14, 2010, 07:50:50 PM
Deployment of the paratroop regiment in 1972 was a planned brutal method.
What are you looking for? to present criminal charges against soldiers who were following orders?
Wtf use is that?  It was a planned murder carried out by the State against civilians.
"I was only following orders" wasn't acceptable in Nuremberg, why would you accept it?
It depends who is saying it.
The deployment of the Paratroopers was a method used by the British government. The Paras were deployed previous to Bloody Sunday and with bloody (but not fatal) results when they battered civilian protesters to a pulp. Imo the Paras were following orders to act in the way they were trained to do.

But the para radio operator has given a witness statement contrary to that.  He called "cease fire" over the radio, and also ran to each solider hitting him on the shoulder and shouting "Cease fire".  One of the questions raised is why 4 of the soliders ignored that direct order and went on to kill another 6 people.

I'd say that totally negates your arguement...
One witness statement totally negates what I wrote?  then what about the other killings? 
The Paras were already deployed into action with brutal consequences (a few days?) previous. The Para regiment was ordered to to be  deployed in Derry for a Civil Rights demo for one reason, they carried out that duty and just because they were very enthusiastic in carrying out that duty, you think it negates my argument, not just negate but "totally negates"?
Do you think the torture methods carried out against prisoners in the early days were just made up by the interrogators as they went along or do you suspect that somebody somewhere decided to try out these methods and made the order after getting permission?

When a brutal method is put into action against the civilian population then you want to moan against the brutes who carried the guns. I say, those who ordered them to be deployed and ordered them in, bear the responsibility. In this case it was the State and it was the State who later honoured those heroes of the empire.

longrunsthefox

Those who ordered and those who carried out the murders are equally to blame. 

Ulick

ziggysego

Keep me up to date, as I've no sound at work.
Testing Accessibility

Shamrock Shore

In summary mass murder in all but name. Tribunal cannot call it murder cos it's not a court of law.

Doogie Browser

Would have been great to be in Derry today.

Shamrock Shore

Cameron now spinning. Praising British Army in general

Alco Pup

"David Cameron says the conclusions of this report "are absolutely clear". What happened on Bloody Sunday was "unjustifiable and wrong", he says. No warning was given to any civilians before soldiers opened fire. None of the soldiers fired in response to attacks by petrol bombers or stone-throwers. Some of those killed or injured were clearly fleeing or going to help those injured or dying.

None of the casualties was posing a threat or doing anything that would justify their shooting, David Cameron says. There is no point in trying to soften or equivocate what is in this report :the events of Bloody Sunday were not justified, he says. Mr Cameron adds: "What happened should never, ever have happened - some members of our armed forces acted wrongly. On behalf of our government and our country I am deeply sorry." "

gallsman

Arlene Foster is a **** of the highest order.

Not that this is surprising in any way, I just felt it should be said again.

Ulick

delboy

Quote from: Alco Pup on June 15, 2010, 03:45:03 PM
"David Cameron says the conclusions of this report "are absolutely clear". What happened on Bloody Sunday was "unjustifiable and wrong", he says. No warning was given to any civilians before soldiers opened fire. None of the soldiers fired in response to attacks by petrol bombers or stone-throwers. Some of those killed or injured were clearly fleeing or going to help those injured or dying.

None of the casualties was posing a threat or doing anything that would justify their shooting, David Cameron says. There is no point in trying to soften or equivocate what is in this report :the events of Bloody Sunday were not justified, he says. Mr Cameron adds: "What happened should never, ever have happened - some members of our armed forces acted wrongly. On behalf of our government and our country I am deeply sorry." "

Thats an important step, usually in these matters politicans merely express regret which doesn't in its self mean require culpability/responsibility, saying sorry however does.

ziggysego

Quote from: gallsman on June 15, 2010, 03:47:44 PM

Why? What'd she do?
Testing Accessibility

gallsman

Quote from: ziggysego on June 15, 2010, 03:51:55 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 15, 2010, 03:47:44 PM

Why? What'd she do?

Unsurprisingly chose to spoke about Enniskillen, La Mon and Warrenpoint. Don't think she can see the significance of state-sponsored murder.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteArlene Foster is a **** of the highest order

That's a bit harsh on ****s.

Celt_Man

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010