Bloody Sunday killings to be ruled unlawful

Started by Lady GAA GAA, June 10, 2010, 11:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheugh Water

Quote from: whitey on March 14, 2019, 05:09:00 PM
Stupid question and I'm sure a million people will jump down my neck but here goes:

If we re-open and investigate army personnel for incidents that occurred during the troubles, what if  the authorities re-opened and investigated incidents involving Republicans during the troubles?

Is this not a two way street?

Yeah definitely a stupid question. No place on this thread. Shame on you

Main Street

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 14, 2019, 05:35:39 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 14, 2019, 05:09:00 PM
Stupid question and I'm sure a million people will jump down my neck but here goes:

If we re-open and investigate army personnel for incidents that occurred during the troubles, what if  the authorities re-opened and investigated incidents involving Republicans during the troubles?

Is this not a two way street?

Is it not happening though?

So the GFA comes into play when people have been convicted etc but if there were no convictions then some cases have been reopened and there have been prosecutions?

Someone has to drive reopening things too from what I can see and it's the victims families. It would take the law to put some money into it to do this (in a very active way I mean).

There are still cases from time to time of things that happened in the troubles.
There is a world of difference between state sanctioned murder /oppression  and other related violence.
There is and was a mechanism to deal with all other violence but none in practice  to protect the citizen from the state.
And seeing as all and sundry knew the paras murdered 14 and injured more in broad daylight, look how long it has taken to bring one person to face a trial? See how the mechanism of the  state shamelessly protected  the crime for decades, attacked the citizens and criminalized them as guilty after disposing of their lives.

My gripe on this matter re  the killer alphabet paras,, is  that they are far less culpable for the crimes than the chiefs who gave the orders.
As Bradley put it, they were acting under orders but they have to bear the brunt of the rap.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on March 14, 2019, 04:59:58 PM
Correct - this will be the last attempt at any prosecution.  Everyone else gets off....probably already promised to the DUP.
I wonder if they have picked a pasty who will probably be deemed unfit to stand trial due to age/illness ie another whitewash.

RedHand88

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 14, 2019, 08:52:37 PM
Correct - this will be the last attempt at any prosecution.  Everyone else gets off....probably already promised to the DUP.
I wonder if they have picked a pasty who will probably be deemed unfit to stand trial due to age/illness ie another whitewash.

Going by what I've read he's the best chance of getting a conviction. He's the most involved of the ones still living. Shot something like 8 people I think.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 14, 2019, 09:16:17 PM

Going by what I've read he's the best chance of getting a conviction. He's the most involved of the ones still living. Shot something like 8 people I think.
Slap it up him. And I of course meant patsy which autocorrected as pasty  8)

GetOverTheBar

Did I hear correctly the British Government will pick up his legal tab?

If so, you can be sure this will not be a lengthy process.

gallsman

The government committed to funding legal defence of prosecuted quite some time ago. That's not news.

It's right that they do, given they were agents of the state on the day. If you think they should be responsible for their own defence, it follows that you think these were individuals acting alone and their superiors should bear no responsibility.

johnnycool

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 14, 2019, 09:16:17 PM

I think this was posted on here already, but it seems "Dave" or Soldier F went off the rails that day;

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/03/the-case-for-prosecuting-bloody-sunday-soldier-f/

Now whilst these Soldiers were the ones pulling the trigger and are responsible for their actions, why are there not officers like Derek Wilford not in the dock as well?

BennyCake

First it was Carrickfergus.

Now, 'Portadown stand with Soldier F'.

Big banner in the town centre for a few days now.

MoChara

Ballyclare and Broughshane have flags and posters too

imtommygunn

It's the usual propaganda bullshit. Tell people they are being oppressed and only one side being "looked out for" and people will believe it. I think looking at the stats more republican killings are being investigated yet that is not being publicised.

Likewise the myth that the orange culture is being picked on when it's parades are growing year on year.

Then there's stuff like the flag at city hall and now alliance caused it to be taken down most days of the year when if it wasn't for them it would have been there zero days.

Constant unionist propaganda bullshit which people fall for hook line and sinker. This is the same. One sided, picking on our side blah blah blah.

How people don't comprehend that innocent people were killed by the state and their loved ones want answers and accountability I just don't know. These lives are just a pawn. Karen bradley's language on it told you all you needed to know about what the duo were feeding her.

BennyCake

A banner supporting Soldier F in Lurgan now too.

There was obviously sufficient evidence for Soldier F to stand trial for killing innocent civilians, and the law will now take its course.

If a banner was erected in Derry in support of those who killed Lyra McKee, I'd imagine everyone in the country would condemn it.

So what's the difference with Soldier F? Why are these banners allowed to remain draped in town centres?