Bloody Sunday killings to be ruled unlawful

Started by Lady GAA GAA, June 10, 2010, 11:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 14, 2019, 12:06:40 PM
From the Spectator!
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/03/the-case-for-prosecuting-bloody-sunday-soldier-f/

Very interesting article.

I think this same unit caused x2 deaths in the Shankill as well if I'm not mistaken ? Although I am unsure of the time frame in comparison to Bloody Sunday if it's an unfair assumption to say the same people could have been involved.

LeoMc

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 14, 2019, 12:08:59 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 14, 2019, 12:06:40 PM
From the Spectator!
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/03/the-case-for-prosecuting-bloody-sunday-soldier-f/

Very interesting article.

I think this same unit caused x2 deaths in the Shankill as well if I'm not mistaken ? Although I am unsure of the time frame in comparison to Bloody Sunday if it's an unfair assumption to say the same people could have been involved.
Ballymurphy would be another. Both Derry and Ballymurphy were the 1st battalion and were only 7 months apart. Maybe F got a taste for it and knew he could get away with it after Ballymurphy!

LeoMc

I wonder how history would have different here if Jackson could have put his hands up in 1972 and admitted one 1 brick went rogue and the 4 offenders had been court-martialled and demobbed.

BennyCake

Quote from: Insane Bolt on March 14, 2019, 12:08:09 PM
Successive Irish governments have been spineless b**tards in all of this.....then again that is no surprise either.

I find the words 'Irish government' and 'spineless bastards' usually appear in the same sentence.

Just like the one above.

Sheugh Water

Mood not at all good here in Derry today.

British Bastards

macdanger2

Extremely disappointing but not a massive surprise. Must be devastating for the families

BennyCake

Bradley's speech in Parliament was the giveaway. Once I heard that, it put the tin hat on things.

Now, the Brits can more or less tell the families, that's the end of that. Go away and don't bother us any more. The same thing will happen with Ballymurphy and the whole Legacy thing will become pointless.

Insane Bolt

The fact that spineless twat Williamson has said soldier F will have full legal support and welfare is damning. Bloody Sunday had soldiers acting on orders of superior officers, with the full backing of government. Incredibly sad for the families and I don't know where they go from here.

playwiththewind1st

Correct - this will be the last attempt at any prosecution.  Everyone else gets off....probably already promised to the DUP.

Insane Bolt

The other soldiers can be prosecuted for perjury.....but a liar as opposed to a murderer just isn't justice.

whitey

Stupid question and I'm sure a million people will jump down my neck but here goes:

If we re-open and investigate army personnel for incidents that occurred during the troubles, what if  the authorities re-opened and investigated incidents involving Republicans during the troubles?

Is this not a two way street?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: whitey on March 14, 2019, 05:09:00 PM
Stupid question and I'm sure a million people will jump down my neck but here goes:

If we re-open and investigate army personnel for incidents that occurred during the troubles, what if  the authorities re-opened and investigated incidents involving Republicans during the troubles?

Do you honestly think if there wasn't evidence to charge any Republican for a Troubles related incident threat it wouldn't be prosecuted. This prosecution is the minimal amount that should be happening. These were state sponsored killings with direct cover ups. The notion that this may open up the door for Republican prosecutions is naive.

marty34

Thousands of thousands of republicans and loyalists did time in prison.  Onlya handful of British army terrorists have gone to jail.

The Brits covered all murder up, directed loyalist death squads etc. etc.

The question is who is really surprised by this?  Especially in the light of Bradley's recent remarks and the DUP's close relationship with the Tory party.

whitey

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 14, 2019, 05:23:19 PM

Do you honestly think if there wasn't evidence to charge any Republican for a Troubles related incident threat it wouldn't be prosecuted. This prosecution is the minimal amount that should be happening. These were state sponsored killings with direct cover ups. The notion that this may open up the door for Republican prosecutions is naive.

I don't know....that's why I'm asking

How many Republicans have been charged/convicted of involvement in incidents during the troubles since the GFA?

Does the PSNI have a cold case team actively working on unsolved incidents from during the troubles?

imtommygunn

Is it not happening though?

So the GFA comes into play when people have been convicted etc but if there were no convictions then some cases have been reopened and there have been prosecutions?

Someone has to drive reopening things too from what I can see and it's the victims families. It would take the law to put some money into it to do this (in a very active way I mean).

There are still cases from time to time of things that happened in the troubles.