Monaghan vs. Fermanagh - Saturday May 20th - Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 15, 2017, 02:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 20, 2017, 08:55:06 PM
Pete McGrath still coaching like it's 1991.

Though shalt not kick the football up the field

It's incredible how quick some are to kick someone when they're down. McGrath's done an excellent job with Fermanagh.

skeog

Pete has performed well with his limited resources.

seafoid

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 20, 2017, 08:55:06 PM
Pete McGrath still coaching like it's 1991.

Though shalt not kick the football up the field
No natural forwards. Like Kildare
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Main Street

Monaghan only had to show a bit of class in the 2nd half to sprint ahead in the game. This performance augurs well for the next game where you'd expect the intensity levels to be a good deal higher. Strange to be without both Hughes.

Crete Boom

Good performance by Monaghan. Good spread of scorers. McCarron and McCarthy look hell bent on burying the only McManus up front narrative this year!!

mrdeeds

Quote from: T Fearon on May 20, 2017, 09:06:10 PM
Total damp squib.I bet Kerry are so glad they don't have to plough through the Ulster minefield.

On a positive note I was on Boylesports 7/2 on Conor Mc Manus or Jack Mc Carron to score the first goal and Monaghan to win by between 4 and 9 points at 7/4

It's Fermanagh in the preliminary. Hardly representative of the Ulster Championship.

FermGael

Fermanagh played well in the first half.
The goal was a killer.  We should have been well in front at half time.
Second half Monaghan played very well.
They have an excellent bench and once we got 5 or 6 behind the heads dropped.
When you think that Fermanagh are missing 20 players from the panel that togged out against Dublin in the
All Ireland quarter final 2 years ago it wasn't a bad effort.
No county can afford that turnover of players inside 2 years, never mind one with the limited resources we have.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Syferus

Quote from: FermGael on May 20, 2017, 11:24:01 PM
Fermanagh played well in the first half.
The goal was a killer.  We should have been well in front at half time.
Second half Monaghan played very well.
They have an excellent bench and once we got 5 or 6 behind the heads dropped.
When you think that Fermanagh are missing 20 players from the panel that togged out against Dublin in the
All Ireland quarter final 2 years ago it wasn't a bad effort.
No county can afford that turnover of players inside 2 years, never mind one with the limited resources we have.

Hold that thought for a few months and we'll get back to you, FG.

timmyot501

We played well in the second half and kicked enough good scores in the first to be in a good position. Hughes was a bit silly really but i thought mcanespie played so well that we managed to cope. Himself and doogan cover some turf.

T Fearon

This felt like a league match or a first round qualifier,in front of a smallish crowd,not the famed Ulster Championship.No doubt today in Ballybofey a similar one sided borefest will be on offer.

Aaron Boone

Fermanagh's wait for a maiden Ulster championship will extend at least one more year.

smelmoth

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 20, 2017, 09:25:24 PM
Manfromdelmonte any balls that were kicked in Monaghan hoovered them up and went on the counter attack...
Why would pete McGrath want his team to kick the ball in and it maybe 8 v 3/4 to Monaghan
Silly silly comment
Dumbass

How did Fermanagh do in the second half with their lateral movement tactics?

Itchy

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 20, 2017, 10:06:34 PM
Good performance by Monaghan. Good spread of scorers. McCarron and McCarthy look hell bent on burying the only McManus up front narrative this year!!

I thought Monaghan were very poor for maybe 50/60% of that game. When they got going though Fermanagh had no answer. Unfortunately I cant see Cavan beating them. We have as good players as them every except the FF line but that is the most important line. I also expect Monaghan will be well up for Cavan and wont go in half asleep like they did yesterday.

I admire Fermanagh for getting what they do out of their players, they could do ok in the back door still but it will be by turning each game into a war of attrition and trying to sneak it by a point or two.

manfromdelmonte

If a team has a blanket like Monaghan you have to win the ball in play and then get the ball up the field quicker to likes of Sean Quigley using kick passing

Smurfy123

Well the way Fermanagh won it back was to get men behind the ball maybe 12 at a time
So win the ball back and kick it up to who?
And if they had not had them men back Monaghan would have beaten them by 20 points
Don't use lazy words like that if you haven't a way to back it up
Dumbass