?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Boruc defiant over Rangers snub

Artur Boruc (right) refused to shake the hand of Rangers' David Weir

Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc has no regrets about his refusal to shake hands with Rangers players - because he does not like them or their club.

Boruc was criticised in some quarters for his actions after Rangers' 3-0 victory in Saturday's SPL meeting.

But he told Polish newspaper Gazeta Wyborcza: "They were provoking me throughout the game. They were teasing me and they were trying to hurt me.

"I don't have to love anyone. I don't like this club, or these players."

It is not the first time that Boruc has courted controversy in an Old Firm derby.

The Poland international was cautioned by police for gesticulating at Rangers fans during a Celtic victory in February 2006.

If we meet in town like normal people, I might shake hands

Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc

Police also expressed concerns in May this year after Boruc waved a flag at Ibrox proclaiming Celtic as champions after a win by Rangers.

And his latest actions led to criticism from Rangers players and the likes of former Celtic midfielder and BBC football pundit Murdo McLeod.

Boruc suggested that his latest decision was provoked by a pain in his hands and admitted that his emotions and adrenaline had been running high after a painful defeat.

But he stressed that he thought it ridiculous that he was expected to shake hands with the opposition.

"I didn't shake hands with them because it is not my duty," he said.

"We are enemies. We are fighting for the title and any form of friendship is out of the question."

However, Boruc did suggest that there might come a time when he could shake hands with his city rivals.

"If we meet in town like normal people, I might shake hands, but not at Ibrox after a game like that," he said.

Police had stressed that the 2006 caution of Boruc was for a "combination of behaviour" and not, as some had claimed, for blessing himself in a football fixture so often marred by religious rivalry.

But Boruc said of the latest incident: "They like to make scandals out of nothing.

"They complained to the police about certain gestures when we were winning.

"But they didn't call this time. Why? Because they won."

Class Artur!   :D ;D :D

Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Match on live on Setanta Ireland or Sky Sports Xtra for us poor sods in the wee six.

McManus did light training yesterday, doesn't look like Pressley will make it, Bobo looking likely to get at least a place on the bench! Van's good to go and Hartley looks like getting a run as well.
Going to be tight, Benfica on a run of three straight CL defeats (poss backlash?) all of the Celts games in Europe have ended 3-0 (afaik)! Hopefully we can stay solid for the first half an hour defensively and not concede 2 goals and I think we would be in with a shout!
Need to break the away win hoodoo, and I hope tonight is the time to do it.

Celtic to win 3 -1

COME ON THE HOOPS
Tbc....

Smiler An Dun

Croí na hÉireann

Where are you staying??
you can get a bus from Glasgow cross area (end of High Street/Argyle Street) that brings you along the London Road and probably Gallowgate.  I'm not sure of bus numbers but i know some of them are marked Carntyne.

Another way is the get the underground from Glasgow Central (Lower Station) to Dalmarnock.  Only takes 5 mins and is then less than a 10 min walk to the ground.

The team normally arrives at about 12.00/12.30.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Smiler An Dun on October 24, 2007, 11:41:27 AM
Croí na hÉireann

Where are you staying??
you can get a bus from Glasgow cross area (end of High Street/Argyle Street) that brings you along the London Road and probably Gallowgate.  I'm not sure of bus numbers but i know some of them are marked Carntyne.

Another way is the get the underground from Glasgow Central (Lower Station) to Dalmarnock.  Only takes 5 mins and is then less than a 10 min walk to the ground.

Staying in the Radisson, thanks for that. From what I remember the buses along the London Road don't go through the Gallowgate. Will head out early to see the team come in, hell of a time to wait for the match though, what do they be doing for 3 hours anyway??? Recommend any bars nearby to wet the whistle? Been to Bairds and The Hoops bar before but don't fancy the walk to/fro...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

illdecide

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 24, 2007, 12:14:12 PM
Quote from: Smiler An Dun on October 24, 2007, 11:41:27 AM
Croí na hÉireann

Where are you staying??

Staying in the Radisson, thanks for that. From what I remember the buses along the London Road don't go through the Gallowgate. Will head out early to see the team come in, hell of a time to wait for the match though, what do they be doing for 3 hours anyway??? Recommend any bars nearby to wet the whistle? Been to Bairds and The Hoops bar before but don't fancy the walk to/fro...

A black cab only costs about £5 from city centre so i would advise that but you won't get one after the match they simply don't drive thru there till about 7:00 and it's not a nice place to be running around when everyone else has fucked off.

The Braisen Head is a good bar owned by an Italian Scottish bloke who is sound as a pound. He is very friendly with Neil Lennon's father, i was with them in the team hotel in Milan a few years back. It's only a 5 min walk from the ground.

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

DirtyDozen12

Have to admit that Walter Smith taking back Rangers does worry me...he is a top class manager and can always seem to get the best out of his players no matter what level they are at.  Bottom line on Saturday was that Rangers where more up for the game, where far hungrier than Celtic as they never pulled out of a 50/50 challenge whereas Celtic didn't seem to want to know.  We had no midfield steel like Barry Ferguson (hateful looking tr**p)..dare i say this is the game where we missed Neil Lennon bulling around the middle of the park??

As for Artur Boruc........absolute legend....you gotta love that man  :D
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on October 24, 2007, 01:31:26 PM
Have to admit that Walter Smith taking back Rangers does worry me...he is a top class manager and can always seem to get the best out of his players no matter what level they are at.  Bottom line on Saturday was that Rangers where more up for the game, where far hungrier than Celtic as they never pulled out of a 50/50 challenge whereas Celtic didn't seem to want to know.  We had no midfield steel like Barry Ferguson (hateful looking tr**p)..dare i say this is the game where we missed Neil Lennon bulling around the middle of the park??

dunno about that
I thought Celtic looked like the better team and most likely to score up until the second goal.
its that rubbish defense that strachan has installed (and lack of buying decent cover at full back) thats the problem.
If they stop gifting goals, they'd have at least drawn on sat last.
Boruc was right about the attitude/thuggery of rangers players, the MON era had Celtic players also playing this way , and rangers couldnt handle it then.
GS is all for a 'we are all scots' mentality, and wants his team to play nice guy football - which is great, except that rangers dont do this , esp when playing celtic.

Boruc should have a slap or two at his own players to get them kick started and not allow them to be as girly again. Smith is a few losses away from being sacked...if celtic had won that game, his tenure would def be in question.
The CL and win over celtic are papering over his current problems. He cant buy his success this time - he got sacked last time too because of that (because the money run out).

DirtyDozen12

Smith has installed aggression into Rangers...something that Celtic certainly lacked on Sunday...bottom line they didn't want to know on Saturday morning.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on October 24, 2007, 02:07:43 PM
Smith has installed aggression into Rangers...something that Celtic certainly lacked on Sunday...bottom line they didn't want to know on Saturday morning.
would agree with that
strachan has done the opposite

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: illdecide on October 24, 2007, 01:25:17 PMThe Braisen Head is a good bar owned by an Italian Scottish bloke who is sound as a pound. He is very friendly with Neil Lennon's father, i was with them in the team hotel in Milan a few years back. It's only a 5 min walk from the ground.

Had a look on de web there, by 5 mins walk I presume u mean 50...

I am not overly worried about Rankers, aggression and counter attacking in the big games can only get Smith so far. He showed down at Everton how ordinary he is without cash to splash. We sure missed Lennon on Sun, Sno and Donati not up to that harrying role, should've brought Scott Brown back... Anyway, I believe we'll win the league if we plug the gaps at the back. Not a fan of Calderwell, hasn't got what it takes IMO. I would welcome Bobos no nonsense defending at the moment actually...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 24, 2007, 02:22:47 PM
Quote from: illdecide on October 24, 2007, 01:25:17 PMThe Braisen Head is a good bar owned by an Italian Scottish bloke who is sound as a pound. He is very friendly with Neil Lennon's father, i was with them in the team hotel in Milan a few years back. It's only a 5 min walk from the ground.

Had a look on de web there, by 5 mins walk I presume u mean 50...

I am not overly worried about Rankers, aggression and counter attacking in the big games can only get Smith so far. He showed down at Everton how ordinary he is without cash to splash. We sure missed Lennon on Sun, Sno and Donati not up to that harrying role, should've brought Scott Brown back... Anyway, I believe we'll win the league if we plug the gaps at the back. Not a fan of Calderwell, hasn't got what it takes IMO. I would welcome Bobos no nonsense defending at the moment actually...

have never seen a REAL centre half watch and LET a ball pass them by instead of kicking it to Row Z when in the same situation.
McManus 100% committed but a converted LB naturally. Caldwell tries to play too much football for a centre half. SPL scots version of rio  :o

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on October 24, 2007, 01:31:26 PM

I wouldn't say Smith is a top class manager. A competent one yes but no more than that. What he can do is get Rangers fired up and aggressive for games against Celtic. And he bought players with a physical presence about them even though they may not be the most talented footballers technically. Thought Rangers looks much the hungrier team last weekend and Smith will always get them pumped up for these fixtures. Strachan hasn't got his head around it yet. He doesn't seem to realise that the hungrier more aggressive team nearly always wins the OF derby and unless he gets the Celtic players fired up for these games I can see them losing a couple more of them this season. Granted Celtic were a bit hampered with a raft of injuries to their defence the last day.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 24, 2007, 02:25:41 PM
have never seen a REAL centre half watch and LET a ball pass them by instead of kicking it to Row Z when in the same situation.
McManus 100% committed but a converted LB naturally. Caldwell tries to play too much football for a centre half. SPL scots version of rio  :o

I disagree with this lynchbhoy. McManus has shown time and again over the past couple of seasons (for Celtic and Scotland) that he is a class centre half, reads the game well and is in the right place at the right time. Plus he has tremendous determination. Certainly not a left back though and I dont recall him ever playing there, when I heard of him as a young lad too he was a centre half. Agree about Caldwell who is a liability and wasnt even particularly rated by Hibs fans when he was there.

People are probably also doing Rangers a disservice by just labelling them a physical side. You dont beat Lyon 3-0 away just by being physically strong. Smith has got together a very solid squad with some very good players in key positions and decent hard working players alongside them. People were saying I was way wrong a few months ago on this thread to suggest Rangers would challenge Celtic and said the gap was too big...but they said that when MoN came to Celtic and within a couple of months his team wiped the Huns 6-2 at Parkhead. Rangers are serious players this season.

Celtic were unlucky tonight without doubt, rode their luck at times but would have been worthy of a point IMO. Shame as a point there would have been very handy. Probably need to win both home games now and maybe try and sneak something in Milan. Can still be done.

Rav67

Also disagree with lynchboy - McManus is no full back, can't picture him raiding up the flank at all, and he's our best option at centre half.

Was training tonight so only caught the last half hour but IMO Celtic would have been lucky to get a point if we had from what I saw.  Hartley again impressed me and McGeady looked lively.  Why was McDonald not started when he's been in great form?

T Fearon

Another disappointing result away from home. Even more so when the Huns can go and win in Lyon with a team on paper vastly inferior to Celtic's.

I intend to raise this point at the AGM in Glasgow on November 19th. I fear my huge investment in the club is not paying dividends