?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Ahhhh jezuz my head hurts.............

Fantastic for the Bhoys that one was for you Tommy.

I'm away out for the cure.

Keep the faith.

Glasgow Celtic Gods chosen team
Tbc....

Rav67

Very proud time to be celtic supporter.  The team and coaching staff have shown tremendous character this past 2 months.  In all his 3 years at Celtic the only time I did doubt him was after the Motherwell loss, I thought the season was gone and his position would be untenable at the end of it, but he's truned things around brilliantly.  The Hartley/Robson midfield axis was central to every victory in the run-in, what a bargain Robson turned out to be.  For you TB.  Hail hail

T Fearon

Big question now must be, who is better Strachan or O'Neill?

WGS is edging it on the basis of:

Much less resources
three leagues in a row
twice in last 16 of Champions League

Then again he has not had a real challenge from Rangers for two of those league titles, while Rangers were far stronger in O'Neill's era. Also O'Neill took Celts to a European Final

Harps 21

Quote from: T Fearon on May 23, 2008, 04:45:24 PM

WGS is edging it on the basis of:

Much less resources
three leagues in a row
twice in last 16 of Champions League

Then again he has not had a real challenge from Rangers for two of those league titles, while Rangers were far stronger in O'Neill's era. Also O'Neill took Celts to a European Final

I think you hit the nail on the head there Tony, in his first 2 seasons, WGS didn't have to face a Rangers team of the same calibre as the Dick Advocat/early Alex McLeish teams.  Then again, Celtic were in need of a good rebuild when WGS arrived - granted O'Neill had to do the same when he arrived in 2000, and had more resources with which to do it, but the Celtic team that WGS inherited was still stronger than the mess that O'Neill inherited from the infamous John Barnes era.  Moreover, O'Neill understood the club, and what it meant to be part of Celtic, in a way that I believe only in the last month with the tragic death of Tommy, that WGS is beginning to fully comprehend now what it means to be "Celtic-minded".  WGS must of course stay, and be given all possible support in the transfer market this summer - if he stays on and wins another couple of titles, and perhaps brings Celtic to the quarter finals/semi finals of the European Cup, or another UEFA Cup final, then he will definitely without be remembered as greater than O'Neill.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Main Street on May 23, 2008, 11:45:21 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 13, 2008, 05:41:18 PM
Well a good attacking performance from the Celts today, great to see Skippy and JVOH getting back into the net, its been a while, not sure about Mick McManus scoring both ends!  ;)

Hopefully that is the cart back on the tracks, now a big performance on Wed against the Hun, and I can start dreaming of the league again.  ;D

Most Optimistic GAA BOARD Celtic poster of the Season.

This was posted after first win after the defeat to Motherwell at Celtic Pk.
At the time I thought Gaoth Dobhair was off his rocker,
(possibly was).

You wouldn't be the first person to tell me I'm off my rocker - the wife does all the time!   ;) :D ;D

I never lost faith in my beloved Celts.

Keep the faith
Tbc....

stew

The Huns are the victims of fatigue, they fought on too many fronts this year and their legs gave out just whenthey needed them most. The strain of hanging on like dogs against a much more inventive side like Zenit absolutely killed them and they had nothing left to give emotionally or physically on the league front.

That is one unbelievable league collapse, I cant remember anything quite that bad before and I am delighted that Celtic and WGS came through in the end.

here's hoping the huns lose out on everything, they are doing a great job of it so far. ;D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Main Street

I still can't believe that Strachan held it together and pulled it off even though it was on the cards after last weekend.
The firing squad was loading up and taking aim after that Motherwell defeat.
There is no doubt he was tottering, barely breathing, so fair fxcks to him, it must be the best one of them all for him, the most satisfying title win since Wim Jansen?

Quote from: T Fearon on May 23, 2008, 04:45:24 PM
I doubt many Celtic fans are thinking about such things now.
Still grinning too much.
But remember O'Neill twice won all 3 home games in the CL and didn't progress to next stage.

Rumours are that Strachan will be given a decent kitty for the transfer market.

Rav67

Both managers' achievements have been very impressive when you consider everything.

MON-     Bar one title win, Rangers were the kingpins since Souness was in charge and he turned their domestic dominance on its head by winning the treble in his first season.  In his 5 years Celtic were established as the standard-bearers in Scotland.  He was competing against a very expensively-assembled side under Advocaat, who has been proved to be a very astute manager.  Celtic couldn't buy a win in Europe before he took over and during his tenure they became a well-known and recognised force in Europe once more by qualifying for the CL, some great performances against Europe's elite and of course the UEFA Cup run.

WGS-     He took over a team which was full of players who were over-the-hill and fiercely personally loyal to O'Neill.  He had to clear this team out and start afresh on a shoestring budget.  He has brought through more young players than O'Neill did.  In 3 years he's won 3 leagues and both domestic cups.  Qualification for last 16 of CL.

the milkman

MON was an absolute legend at Parkhead and the job he did was unreal, however he did have Henrik Larsson in his team! How would he have got on  without him?

Solomon Kane

Quote from: the milkman on May 25, 2008, 09:01:41 AM
MON was an absolute legend at Parkhead and the job he did was unreal, however he did have Henrik Larsson in his team! How would he have got on  without him?

Larsson was a much bigger figure for Celtic than O'Neill or Strachan. Celtic achieved very little when Larsson was injured but they were a whole different prospect when he was fit.

Main Street

Quote from: Solomon Kane on May 25, 2008, 01:59:31 PM
Quote from: the milkman on May 25, 2008, 09:01:41 AM
Larsson was a much bigger figure for Celtic than O'Neill or Strachan. Celtic achieved very little when Larsson was injured but they were a whole different prospect when he was fit.
The old Rangers' fans taunt that O'Neill's side were Leicester with Larsson.

JimStynes

football forums have a thread with the pics from the phil o'donnell game today. great to see Henrik back in the hoops, hes also back in the sweden squad for the euro championships. Surely he must be up there as the best player ever to represent sweden.
http://forum.football365.com/index.php?t=msg&th=68876&start=0&;

AFS

Quote from: JimStynes on May 25, 2008, 05:30:45 PM
football forums have a thread with the pics from the phil o'donnell game today. great to see Henrik back in the hoops, hes also back in the sweden squad for the euro championships. Surely he must be up there as the best player ever to represent sweden.
http://forum.football365.com/index.php?t=msg&th=68876&start=0&

What is the big red poster in that last picture on about? Does it say 'do you think we would leave you dying' ? WTF?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Was over for the Phil O'Donnell tribute match on Sunday, just recovering now - very drunken!  :-[
It was great seeing all the old hands playing in the hoops again.
Parkhead was pretty much packed, again great to see.

Now for the Summer transfers......?

P.s. Tone looked for your brick, couldn't see it?!

Hail Hail
Tbc....

Rav67

£20m to spend is the rumour  :o  Plenty of numbers in the central defensive and central midfield areas but would love to see one marquee signing in defence.  Get rid of Pressley, Bobo, Gravesen, Donati, Killen, Naylor, Doumbe, Virgo to free up the wage bill too.

Brown should come good next season and Mizuno will start getting some football as a substitute to provide a bit of cover in the wide positions.  Definitely need another striker and should be prepared to pay good money for him (not Samaras though).  Oh and desperately need a LB of course.

Realistic targets: Murphy from Birmingham for LB maybe, McFadden another possibility I think he'd be useful in Europe as he's technically very good.  Any players abroad with a bit of pedigree but are out of favour like Hinkel was?